University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
cantwaitforuva

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:28 am

I loove mcdonald's breakfast!

Wells, can you make me some french toast?

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:29 am

tkm. wrote:in other news...avemore is going to call me if they have any 2BR open up for august...so I hope that works out
as in they're checking and they'll call you later today? or they'll let you know if something opens up?

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:32 am

McSkillet burrito = AMAZING! This is sooo shameful but the movie "Supersize Me" only made me hungry for a cheeseburger (the little ones with the fake meat) and a 4-pack of McNuggets (again, not the real chicken strips, the spongy assortment of chicken parts).
Last edited by bamabreeze on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:33 am

Hey, everyone, sorry to interrupt the McDonald's discussion with a question that has probably been asked a few times by now, but the thread is much too large for me to read through it all at this point. What is the latest time that you would recommend one start making housing reservations? Is early/mid-June too late? When does Ivy Gardens fill up? I'm not planning to choose a law school for another month, and being aware that I will be stuck with bad housing options at a school is something that would influence my decision.

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:34 am

With all this breakfast love around here, starting a rotating Sunday brunch sounds like a good, tasty idea.

And yes, cantwait, I can definitely whip up some french toast sometime.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:35 am

ubuntu wrote:
Wellsfargowagon wrote:
ubuntu wrote:cheer up everyone! i know it's rainy and gross, but we're going to UVA!! YAAAAY!!

also, i'm getting mcdonald's for lunch. mcdonald's is the key to my happiness.
McDonald's breakfast is good (mmm, McGriddles), but for lunch, I'm more of a Wendy's guy. Does McDonald's offer a burger that beats the Baconator? No siree, Bob.
i'm more of a chicken nuggets girl, myself.
McNuggets. I love those snack wraps and the egg, bacon, and cheese breakfast bagels. I don't think I've had any McDonalds in at least 6 months though.

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:40 am

Son of Cicero wrote:Hey, everyone, sorry to interrupt the McDonald's discussion with a question that has probably been asked a few times by now, but the thread is much too large for me to read through it all at this point. What is the latest time that you would recommend one start making housing reservations? Is early/mid-June too late? When does Ivy Gardens fill up? I'm not planning to choose a law school for another month, and being aware that I will be stuck with bad housing options at a school is something that would influence my decision.
Hmmmm I have no idea when things fill up... but there are always people on the waitlist who need housing at about that time! I'm sure they always find something. Also Charlottesville is huge - I mean it's no NYC but it does have a LOT of apartment complexes/buildings, townhome communities, etc. If you want walking distance to the law school, well that might be hard by June (I have no idea) but anything else, you should be fine!

My advice - Call Ivy Gardens and ask!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:41 am

Son of Cicero wrote:Hey, everyone, sorry to interrupt the McDonald's discussion with a question that has probably been asked a few times by now, but the thread is much too large for me to read through it all at this point. What is the latest time that you would recommend one start making housing reservations? Is early/mid-June too late? When does Ivy Gardens fill up? I'm not planning to choose a law school for another month, and being aware that I will be stuck with bad housing options at a school is something that would influence my decision.
I'm not sure about Ivy. I know that some housing places are already filled for July, so they will start filling up for August soon. Given how many people already have housing for August, my guess is that you won't have as many options.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:43 am

bamabreeze wrote:[ If you want walking distance to the law school, well that might be hard by June (I have no idea) but anything else, you should be fine!
This isn't really true. A lot of the nicer complexes that are driving distance are already almost filled up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:44 am

cantwaitforuva wrote:
tkm. wrote:in other news...avemore is going to call me if they have any 2BR open up for august...so I hope that works out
as in they're checking and they'll call you later today? or they'll let you know if something opens up?
well they're just starting to hear about what they'll have in august...so I told them the 3 styles that I am interested in and they'll call me as soon as they know what they have. Avemore sounds more promising than CH...especially since I don't need to bother with app fees until they have an apt available

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:47 am

Ivy seems to always have availability. I think we make people more neurotic than necessary if only because some of us had a definite idea of where/what we wanted to live. I knew I wanted a townhouse within walking distance I stayed in over ASW so when I saw one available I made a move to get it. I've never heard of anyone getting shut out of Ivy though. In short, I think you're right on schedule along with most people although I expect May to be when most people really start looking.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:50 am

Last edited by cantwaitforuva on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:56 am

Thanks for all of the helpful responses, guys. I really like the UVa crowd on TLS, and I'm sure I would enjoy joining you all next year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Son of Cicero wrote:Thanks for all of the helpful responses, guys. I really like the UVa crowd on TLS, and I'm sure I would enjoy joining you all next year.
Will you get our hopes and dump us in the end like Guy? :cry:

As for walking distance housing, I think Grad Centre usually doesn't fill up til June as long as you don't mind randomly selected suitemates.

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:38 pm

Has anyone visited the Ivy Gardens? How are they?

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:00 pm

:lol:
I'll just avoid spending too much time in this thread until I make a school decision, so you guys can forget about me unless I come back looking for a roommate in about a month. That was cruel of aguyingeorgia, I agree.
wesleybs wrote:Has anyone visited the Ivy Gardens? How are they?
I visited briefly when I went to the ASW. Here is a short description of the room I toured:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&#p566160

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:04 pm

^
GTFO
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:07 pm

gladiator wrote:

OUCH! UNFAIR! Things changed and I had to make a tough choice, but I still love you all. AND, I'm absolutely coming to a cook-out in the fall!

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:13 pm

I don't know, Guy. If I got 4 burgers and 5 people, 'Hoos will be fed first.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:13 pm

I'll stop by BK on the way :(

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:14 pm

I didn't really intend to call you cruel, but you did make us hopeful and then disappointed us. I'm not implying you should make your school decision based on the emotions of fellow internet forum posters though.

Still friends....if you reveal the origin of your duck obsession. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:20 pm

SgtBilko wrote:I don't know, Guy. If I got 4 burgers and 5 people, 'Hoos will be fed first.
You'd better get more than 4 burgers. What a small cook-out. :)

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:20 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
SgtBilko wrote:I don't know, Guy. If I got 4 burgers and 5 people, 'Hoos will be fed first.
You'd better get more than 4 burgers. What a small cook-out. :)
That is what I'm saying. Dang.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:29 pm

Well, I was just using an example. When telling a kid "If you have 3 pieces of candy and 4 friends, you may only end up with 3 friends." you don't get into the bigger picture implication that he's got bigger problems if he has only 3 friends and needs to buy them off with candy.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:34 pm

SgtBilko wrote:Well, I was just using an example. When telling a kid "If you have 3 pieces of candy and 4 friends, you may only end up with 3 friends." you don't get into the bigger picture implication that he's got bigger problems if he has only 3 friends and needs to buy them off with candy.
If I had 3 pieces of candy and 4 friends, I'd eat the candy and win them back with the clever line, "I'll be your best friend!"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”