University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
bamabreeze

Bronze

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by bamabreeze » Thu May 22, 2008 11:41 pm

SteelersandGators wrote:Out of curiousity for a friend applying next cycle:

Do DC residents count towards in-state for UVA?
Maybe for the (small) tuition discount? One of my friends in high school lived in DC and could get in-state tuition at any college in any state. I don't think it gave her any in-state admissions preferences, just the tuition discount once she got in. But, it could work differently for grad school.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Thu May 22, 2008 11:43 pm

SteelersandGators wrote:Do DC residents count towards in-state for UVA?
No.

@Bama, yes, it works differently for graduate school.

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Thu May 22, 2008 11:51 pm

MissVirginia wrote:
SteelersandGators wrote:Do DC residents count towards in-state for UVA?
No.

@Bama, yes, it works differently for graduate school.
Just tried to find more info on the DC in-state tuition because I was curious, and here it is in case your friend is interested - --LinkRemoved--

MissVirginia is right (as usual!) that it definitely doesn't work for grad school. :(

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Thu May 22, 2008 11:54 pm

:wink:

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Thu May 22, 2008 11:58 pm

Thanks everyone for the answers!
bamabreeze wrote:
SteelersandGators wrote:Out of curiousity for a friend applying next cycle:

Do DC residents count towards in-state for UVA?
Maybe for the (small) tuition discount?
Well that, yes. But more importantly, the fact that it's easier to get in as a Virginia "resident".

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Fri May 23, 2008 1:12 am

Tell your friend to move to Arlington!

-Less taxes
-More value for the taxes you pay (My mail is delivered on time everyday, not 9PM(happened when I lived in DC regularaly), garbage is picked up, etc.)
-Cheaper rent (unless you live in DC hoods)
-Cheaper stuff (groceries, gas, etc.)

Etc. etc. etc.
I lived in DC for a few years. After 2 in VA I would never move back into the district.

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Fri May 23, 2008 3:12 am

Anyone else staying in family housing? My wife and I were just offered our room =D

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Fri May 23, 2008 10:01 am

Just popping in to say HI and that I GRADUATED yesterday :) It's been crazy, but everything will come to a lull this weekend, so I'll catch up then!

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Fri May 23, 2008 10:39 am

sialeeds wrote:Just popping in to say HI and that I GRADUATED yesterday :) It's been crazy, but everything will come to a lull this weekend, so I'll catch up then!
Congrats! And welcome to the bored summer club

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Fri May 23, 2008 11:01 am

Went to uHaul yesterday and I'm starting to box up my stuff for the move to c-ville. I can't believe how fast time flies.

triadolpho

New

Post by triadolpho » Fri May 23, 2008 11:23 am

Just finished up my second to last exam. Now, I have five hours and thirty-seven minutes (due at 5:00 P.M....lolz) to write the one 10-15 page paper between me and graduation.

Think I can pull it off?

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Fri May 23, 2008 11:32 am

I'm sitting in the JAX airport now, starting my house-hunting trip to C-ville. Here's a brief summary:

So I arrived at the Avis at the Tallahassee airport this morning a little after 7 with a reservation for a Chevy Aveo or some equally uncool sardine can...how this happened I'm not sure, but I ended up driving off the lot in a red Mitsubishi Eclipse Spider (Spyder?), a convertible sports car. Five free upgrades? Awesome. Of course, the weather was miserable this morning, but I did take advantage of a 20 minute dry-stretch by pulling into a rest stop and dropping the top. My rental agreement and some other paperwork were sucked out of the car about 10 miles later. Grrreattt. I left them behind, thinking that I've never actually needed my rental agreement before when I checked a car in. It started raining again, so I had to pull over and put the top up. But wait...why is the top sticking? Why isn't it going all the way up? I'm not sure, so I'm standing in the rain outside the car on the edge of the interstate looking at a soft-top that is about half-way up and I'm starting to think that Chevy Aveos really aren't that bad... Thankfully, I was able to move a random piece of plastic out of the way and put the top up and continue on to JAX, where I turned the car in. Oh, what's that? They didn't do the rental correctly? Do I have the rental agreement? Why no, no I don't. It's sitting in a soggy pile somewhere on I-10, and good luck finding it. That made a fairly painless trip to the counter necessary, where I reminded them to NOT put the car on my company purchasing card. They didn't. Thank you, Avis.

I'm now sitting outside gate B8 waiting to board a flight to Charlotte, my connector to Richmond. At least, I think I'll be able to board the flight to Richmond...you see, my ticket doesn't have a seat number on it. In fact, the electronic check-in said "No seats available," and that doesn't sound too promising. I'll keep you all informed...

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri May 23, 2008 11:50 am

OnceLost, how would you like to give up law school and run for the House of Representatives in Charlottesville's district against Virgil (Not so) Goode? The offer is open to any UVA TLS member over 25 years old.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Fri May 23, 2008 11:57 am

triadolpho wrote:Just finished up my second to last exam. Now, I have five hours and thirty-seven minutes (due at 5:00 P.M....lolz) to write the one 10-15 page paper between me and graduation.

Think I can pull it off?
Definitely!

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Fri May 23, 2008 12:01 pm

gladiator wrote:OnceLost, how would you like to give up law school and run for the House of Representatives in Charlottesville's district against Virgil (Not so) Goode? The offer is open to any UVA TLS member over 25 years old.
Sorry OnceLost and gladiator, but the 5th District is already poised to be taken by Tom!

http://www.perrielloforcongress.com/ !!!
--LinkRemoved--

triadolpho wrote:Just finished up my second to last exam. Now, I have five hours and thirty-seven minutes (due at 5:00 P.M....lolz) to write the one 10-15 page paper between me and graduation. Think I can pull it off?
I'm with cantwait- definitely! Consider yourself temporarily banned from TLS until COB. Now get to work!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri May 23, 2008 12:43 pm

Tom Pereillo, OnceLost, anyone but Virgil Goode.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Fri May 23, 2008 12:51 pm

Think I can convince people that I have military experience?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Fri May 23, 2008 12:59 pm

Last edited by bamabreeze on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Fri May 23, 2008 1:33 pm

gladiator wrote:Tom Pereillo, OnceLost, anyone but Virgil Goode.
Indeed. Your last four words are already floating around on t-shirts. :) I'm on the planning committee for Virgil's retirement party. :D

@ sialeeds & bamabreeze- congrats!!!
@ Bilko- if your President could do it, anyone can!

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Fri May 23, 2008 1:53 pm

Congrats to all the recent and soon to be grads :D

triadolpho

New

Post by triadolpho » Fri May 23, 2008 2:17 pm

bamabreeze wrote:
sialeeds wrote:Just popping in to say HI and that I GRADUATED yesterday :) It's been crazy, but everything will come to a lull this weekend, so I'll catch up then!
Congrats!!!! So, at the beach, after my (very unexciting) graduation, I was reading USA Today and there was an article about upcoming graduation speakers at different universities. Harvard, of course, stole our class' first choice (JK Rowling) and some girl there had the nerve to be interviewed complaining about her! Our second choice, through oh about our tenth, were also whisked away by more exciting schools. BUT as I recall y'all had a fantastic speaker lined up - Bill Nye the Science Guy, right? You'll have to tell us how he was!

And - OnceLost - good luck!!!
On the topic of graduation speakers, somehow my small liberal arts college managed to pull off getting Dubbya. I'm planning to keep a jot log of any new word-o-vations that emerge.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Fri May 23, 2008 4:16 pm

We had Julian Bond who was amazing. The view of the Capitol was nice during graduation but we got a bit rained on.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri May 23, 2008 4:26 pm

WTF Julian Bond teaches at UVa and we didn't get him. I had never even heard of the 2 speakers this year.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Fri May 23, 2008 5:50 pm

As it turns out, there were no seats available; they oversold the plane by 13 tickets. They kept raising the number of volunteers they needed, too, which was pretty funny.
"We need 5 volunteers to take the later flight, which will be departing at 4:10."
"We need 9 volunteers to take the later flight, which should depart at 4:10."
"We need 11 volunteers to be put on stand-by for the 4:10 flight."
"We need 13 volunteers for stand-by on the 4:10 flight, but they'll be able to catch the 6pm flight."
Unfortunately, I had checked a bag or I could have done what one very intelligent young woman did and give up her seat to Richmond for a seat on the flight to Charlottesville.

The drive from Richmond to Charlottesville was uneventful. I was shuffled back into a Chevy Cobalt but I enjoyed the rolling hills as soon as I got northwest of Richmond...and the 5 car pileup blocking two lanes of traffic...glad I'm not working crashes anymore!

I'm afraid I can't add anything to the list of graduation speakers, since I've never attended any of mine (or anyone else's, for that matter).

rsr28

New

Post by rsr28 » Fri May 23, 2008 8:04 pm

bamabreeze wrote:
Congrats!!!! So, at the beach, after my (very unexciting) graduation, I was reading USA Today and there was an article about upcoming graduation speakers at different universities. Harvard, of course, stole our class' first choice (JK Rowling) and some girl there had the nerve to be interviewed complaining about her! Our second choice, through oh about our tenth, were also whisked away by more exciting schools. BUT as I recall y'all had a fantastic speaker lined up - Bill Nye the Science Guy, right? You'll have to tell us how he was!

And - OnceLost - good luck!!!
My school had Bill Nye two or three years ago. He was pretty awesome. Fit in perfectly at my school in particular.

Actually, my school has dominated in graduation speakers recently. Bill Cosby, Bill Nye, Hillary, Tom Friedman (who I guess was really really awesome), Dave Gergen all within the past 7-8 years.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”