University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
cantwaitforuva

Silver

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue May 13, 2008 5:47 pm

SteelersandGators wrote:So I'm now leaning towards the Avemore....which means I'll have to drive to school. Does anyone know about the parking situation at the law school? It doesn't look like parking is plentiful...
Yay!! come to Avemore. At least 3 TLSers will be there and we could carpool if we have similar schedules.

Khordis

New

Post by Khordis » Tue May 13, 2008 5:52 pm

sialeeds wrote:That sucks about being graded down. I got a B last semester because I had an English prof who "expected more" from me as a senior, and she even told me that she gave people with worse papers better grades. Thanks, bitch, for ruining my 3 semester streak of only A/A-s. The worst part was that she claimed she'd "reward" me with my final grade and uhhh... didn't.
I'd like to enter my former BAA professor into the running for Biggest Asshat Professor. While I was studying abroad one summer in South Africa, I was sort of seeing a grad student who lived there (from the US originally). The professor flipped out when he found about it, which was puzzling until she eventually told me that she was his former mistress. Despite getting 100's on pretty much everything and doing as much if not more work at the dig site than anyone else there, my two grades for the summer session mysteriously dipped to an A- and a B+ (the source turned out to be a miraculous D participation grade), and pretty much everyone else got A's, regardless of their work.

Yes, Duke professors are classy.

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Tue May 13, 2008 5:58 pm

Khordis wrote:
sialeeds wrote:That sucks about being graded down. I got a B last semester because I had an English prof who "expected more" from me as a senior, and she even told me that she gave people with worse papers better grades. Thanks, bitch, for ruining my 3 semester streak of only A/A-s. The worst part was that she claimed she'd "reward" me with my final grade and uhhh... didn't.
I'd like to enter my former BAA professor into the running for Biggest Asshat Professor. While I was studying abroad one summer in South Africa, I was sort of seeing a grad student who lived there (from the US originally). The professor flipped out when he found about it, which was puzzling until she eventually told me that she was his former mistress. Despite getting 100's on pretty much everything and doing as much if not more work at the dig site than anyone else there, my two grades for the summer session mysteriously dipped to an A- and a B+ (the source turned out to be a miraculous D participation grade), and pretty much everyone else got A's, regardless of their work.

i spent a summer in ZA, too! where abouts were you??

coincidentally, my Biggest Asshat Professor was the professor on that trip.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue May 13, 2008 6:00 pm

Khordis wrote:

best story of the week, by a long shot. but, "sharing" a girl with an asshat...yuck :P

umm i assume this grad student wasn't someone he taught?

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Tue May 13, 2008 6:09 pm

Wow, that wins!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Tue May 13, 2008 6:12 pm

great story

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Tue May 13, 2008 6:28 pm

jesus! I go to work for a day and you people go post crazy!

Welcome dirty bird.

Wes . . . live in the Woodlands

Ubu . . . chicago blows! the winters suck, hyde park is not a safe place for men to be at night, or for women to be ever. I know a couple girls there in UG and they don't like it. The people are not attractive, fun, etc.
see if UVA will match it

Khordis

New

Post by Khordis » Tue May 13, 2008 6:42 pm

ubuntu wrote: i spent a summer in ZA, too! where abouts were you??

Johannesburg for most of it, then we spent a couple of weeks in Cape Town, plus a few days in Pilanesburg and a couple of other random spots. What were you doing there?

greygoose wrote:
best story of the week, by a long shot. but, "sharing" a girl with an asshat...yuck :P

i'm not sure if he officially taught her, but she was working/studying under him in some capacity at some point. and to save everyone the trouble, i'll go ahead and say it. "sounds like she was definitely working under him. ZING!!!"

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue May 13, 2008 6:52 pm

Just finished one paper. Only one more to go!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Tue May 13, 2008 6:53 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:Just finished one paper. Only one more to go!!!!
how long is the last one supposed to be? and when is it due?

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Tue May 13, 2008 6:54 pm

I should be social and go to the senior pub crawl...too bad I hate the seniors

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue May 13, 2008 6:56 pm

tkm. wrote:
cantwaitforuva wrote:Just finished one paper. Only one more to go!!!!
how long is the last one supposed to be? and when is it due?
Due tomorrow at 10am.

It's an annotated bibliography of 15+ sources and an essay of 5 pages using those sources. I think most people wrote 12-15 pages. I will not be writing that much.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Tue May 13, 2008 7:00 pm

tkm. wrote:I should be social and go to the senior pub crawl...too bad I hate the seniors
Welcome to my world ;)

Cantwait -- so close!!! Listen to "Eye of the Tiger" or something on repeat, haha.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Tue May 13, 2008 7:01 pm

haha no senior week events for you sia?

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue May 13, 2008 7:07 pm

Khordis wrote:
ubuntu wrote: i spent a summer in ZA, too! where abouts were you??

Johannesburg for most of it, then we spent a couple of weeks in Cape Town, plus a few days in Pilanesburg and a couple of other random spots. What were you doing there?

greygoose wrote:

i'm not sure if he officially taught her, but she was working/studying under him in some capacity at some point. and to save everyone the trouble, i'll go ahead and say it. "sounds like she was definitely working under him. ZING!!!"
you totally could have blackmailed him, like gimme the A's or i'll report inappropriate teacher-student conduct.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Tue May 13, 2008 7:45 pm

The biggest Asshat...dare I even nominate him for Assclown-hood...was a criminology professor whose class I attended as a police officer. On duty, I might add, as my sergeant had allowed me to arrange my work schedule around this class. On the first day of class (which I was attending in uniform), I waited until after class and introduced myself to him. I let him know that I was on-duty and asked if it would be okay if I occasionally arrived late, as my work demands were somewhat unpredictable at the time. That, thankfully, was okay, but he had a problem when I told him I might have to leave early if there was a critical call. This is the conversation as I remember it:
Him: "How would you find out about it?"
Me: "My radio. I use an ear-piece so it won't disturb the class."
Him: "Won't your radio disturb the class?"
Me: "No, it's like a headphone in one ear. No one else will hear anything."
Him: "Can't you turn it off?"
Me: "No, I'm on duty."
Him: "I've had other officers come without their radios."
Me: "I can't answer for them, but I'm on duty and I can't be without my radio."
Him: "Well, you'll have to leave your gun in your car. I don't want it to just go off or anything."

It was my first experience with a criminology professor who hated cops, but never mind that. I can understand not liking a chap who said he was occasionally going to be late to or leave early from class. I can even take the relentless presentation of skewed studies "proving all law enforcement officers are racist" (yes, that's a quote from the class). What makes him an ass-hat is that he denied a request for an Incomplete when I had to stop taking the class in the middle of the semester (because my work schedule changed dramatically) because it was against "a personal policy." Had I been the diligent researcher I am now, I would have realized that school policy trumps personal policy and I could have fought it...and gotten the F taken off my record.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue May 13, 2008 7:48 pm

sweet, we got a retired police officer in our class! does that mean i can do terrible stuff and you can still cover me?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue May 13, 2008 7:59 pm

I think it means he's well acquainted with trespass laws and self-defense guidelines so you'd probably be wise not to toilet paper his house.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Tue May 13, 2008 8:52 pm

Technically, I'm a former police officer. I wasn't there long enough to retire. :wink:

As for statutes governing self-defense - I have pool-noodle lightsabers and I'm not afraid to use them. You have been warned.

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Tue May 13, 2008 11:12 pm

OK I'm starting a poll.......Avemore or Carriage Hill?

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Tue May 13, 2008 11:49 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
SteelersandGators wrote:So I'm now leaning towards the Avemore....which means I'll have to drive to school. Does anyone know about the parking situation at the law school? It doesn't look like parking is plentiful...
Yay!! come to Avemore. At least 3 TLSers will be there and we could carpool if we have similar schedules.
I would be up for that!! :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Waterman47

Bronze

Post by Waterman47 » Wed May 14, 2008 12:48 am

So I went to Avemore today... and it was, for the most part, everything I hoped it would be.

Quick rundown for the curious:

Pros:
-Beautiful setting.
-Everything looks brand new.
-High ceilings and tall windows.
-Nice, large decks.
-Pool and theater are awesome.
-Close to grocery store.

Cons:
-Distance from law school (It's not "far", but it's not a short little drive either).
-The gym is borderline useless, at least for lifting weights. I was excited about being able to work out whenever I wanted to, but this gym is basically a set of dumbbells, a couple of treadmills, and a couple of machines. No free weights, and the dumbbells went up to 25 LBS I believe.
-Stairs/hallways of the buildings. Stairs are bare wood, and the hallways are bland as well. Not a huge complaint, but I'm looking for negatives here I guess.

For me at least, the pros far outweighed the cons, but I wanted to provide a few negatives as well.

And about the construction:

It didn't really block the view from our apartment, so that was a relief. The noise, while we were there, was annoying but tolerable. I guess if you were meditating during the weekday it would bother you, but it didn't seem like anything that would be too problematic.

Overall, I loved it, and I'm excited about living there. Another '11 was signing at the same time btw, so that was cool.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed May 14, 2008 12:56 am

I'll weigh in on Avemore v. Carriage Hill.

Carriage Hill was my first choice, but they didn't have a 2br for me, so I went with Avemore.

Carriage Hill
Pros: Vaulted ceilings, tall windows, huge kitchen, large pantry, utility room, storage off of balcony, good sized balcony, fireplace, private entraces (no sharing hallways with neighbors), walking distance to grocery store.

Cons: Flooring, cabinets, etc were regular, nothing special. Pool not really pretty, on a hill so walking to pool is a bit of a pain.

Avemore
Pros: Beautiful complex, nice pool and garden area. Crown molding, nice cabinetry, a bit more upscale (but no granite :( ).

Cons: Not a lot of storage, kitchen is small, no utility room, kinda dark hallways to go down to get to your door.

If you don't need a big kitchen or a lot of storage I think Avemore is superior.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed May 14, 2008 1:12 am

Last edited by cantwaitforuva on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waterman47

Bronze

Post by Waterman47 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:17 am

Yeah I signed, I forgot to mention that.

That's a pretty good number of '11ers at Avemore. :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”