University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
gladiator

Silver

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by gladiator » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:59 pm

Just relax, you're going to a top 10 law school. If that doesn't take you out of panic mode, you're going to be worrying the rest of your life. If you work hard, you're not going to fail out and will probably be set for life. UVa Law has 7 US senators: Evan Bayh, Kit Bond, John Cornyn, Ted Kennedy, Bill Nelson, John Warner, and Sheldon Whitehouse. I think you can say we're attending a pipeline school for success.

--ImageRemoved--

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:04 pm

gladiator wrote:Just relax, you're going to a top 10 law school. If that doesn't take you out of panic mode, you're going to be worrying the rest of your life. If you work hard, you're not going to fail out and will probably be set for life. UVa Law has 7 US senators: Evan Bayh, Kit Bond, John Cornyn, Ted Kennedy, Bill Nelson, John Warner, and Sheldon Whitehouse. I think you can say we're attending a pipeline school for success.
Thanks. I just need to keep reminding myself that.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:06 pm

tkm. wrote:You can't get nervous! You're supposed to be my rock! :shock:
Haha. Don't worry. By the time everyone starts moving in and socializing I'm sure I'll feel better.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:10 pm

c, you're probably a bit antsy cuz you're a bit alone right now. once most of us come south, i'm sure you'll feel more comfortable. i won't lie, i've felt some apprehension, but it's more because i'll be a bit far from home. i go back to my lunch with my uva "rock" and realize i'll get a great job in 3 years and i'm more focused on enjoying my time at uva. just relax and you'll be accompanied soon by some of the finest people you'll ever meet in less than 2-3 weeks.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:22 pm

Just watch the MANtage. It'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:35 pm

greygoose wrote:c, you're probably a bit antsy cuz you're a bit alone right now. once most of us come south, i'm sure you'll feel more comfortable. i won't lie, i've felt some apprehension, but it's more because i'll be a bit far from home. i go back to my lunch with my uva "rock" and realize i'll get a great job in 3 years and i'm more focused on enjoying my time at uva. just relax and you'll be accompanied soon by some of the finest people you'll ever meet in less than 2-3 weeks.
I think it definitely has a bit to do with being alone. Being alone with my thoughts for a month is slowly driving me insane.

You people need to hurry up and get here. :D

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:35 pm

speaking of moving down south...I can't stand this whole packing thing. Not fun.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:54 pm

yeah, it's pretty miserable. I have about 50 boxes, 7 duffel bags and that doesn't include my furniture.. :shock:

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:15 am

Sorry to interrupt, but I thought that someone on this thread would know an answer to my question. I have a question I want to ask Dean Palmer, but she is no longer listed anywhere on the website. Did she leave?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:26 am

thisamericanlife wrote:Sorry to interrupt, but I thought that someone on this thread would know an answer to my question. I have a question I want to ask Dean Palmer, but she is no longer listed anywhere on the website. Did she leave?
what's the question?

"Susan Palmer named as Associate Dean for Student Affairs
June 9, 2008

Dean of The University of South Carolina School of Law, Walter F. Pratt, Jr., announced that Susan Palmer is joining the school as associate dean for student affairs.

Palmer is currently associate dean for admissions at the University of Virginia School of Law and expects to join the law school by August 1. She received her J.D., summa cum laude, from Washington and Lee University School of Law in 1985 where she was Editor-in-Chief of the Washington and Lee Law Review, a member of the Order of the Coif and also of Omicron Delta Kappa.

After graduating, she clerked for the Honorable Ellsworth A. Van Graafeiland, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. From 1986 to 2002, Palmer was Assistant Dean, Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Admissions, and adjunct professor of law at Washington and Lee University School of Law. Since 2002, she has been at the University of Virginia School of Law, serving as associate dean for admissions.

In addition, Palmer has served on the Law School Admissions Council (two terms on the Finance and Legal Affairs Committee and two terms on the Services and Programs Committee); twice chaired LSAC's Workshop for New Admissions Personnel; been a past chair of the Association of American Law Schools Section on Prelegal Education and Admission to Law; and been an American Bar Association's Prelaw Committee member.

Dean Pratt stated that "We are delighted to welcome Susan to the Law School. Her distinguished record of achievement will allow her to plan an integral role in our continuing to improve the services we offer to our applicants, our students, and our alumni."

what a bummer...i loved dean palmer. you're best off forwarding your questions to dean dugas, director ebel, or assistant trujillo

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:30 am

wtf?! dean palmer left?!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:30 am

thanks greygoose. I'll contact one of those three now. The question for you was did she leave, the question for her is an admissions question.
Last edited by thisamericanlife on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:31 am

yea it sucks, i didn't notice until now...

my 2 letters signed by her were memorable: ed acceptance and scholly...

i'm not sure how the whole moving thing works, but heading to s. carolina law school might be a step backward from her former position... is uva purging their ranks?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:41 am

it does seem like a step backwards. that is sad she will not be there anymore. She was always so nice and helpful.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:45 am

she hooked up me and goose with some extra uva shirts!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:00 am

word, though we did met dean dugas and director ebel as well...i think we'll be ok in the future :D

but, i'll honor my promise to dean palmer to work on the asd for the spring if i'm given the opportunity.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:01 am

let's push this thread to a historic 200!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:33 am

J-Rod wrote:she hooked up me and goose with some extra uva shirts!
Were you guys at the Admitted Students Day on the 28th? I met Dean Palmer after ASD on the 14th, and she may have thought that I was completely drunk at the time. I took some Claritin the morning before the event because something in Virginia's spring air had been bothering my eyes, and for some reason - perhaps because of a reaction between the antihistamine and the glass of wine I had at the reception - my eyes were nearly bloodshot when I ran into her at the end of the day. I was afraid she might view this as a reason to stiff me on scholarship money, but I guess she had gotten used to seeing presumably intoxicated law students. :)
Jeff and I had both had a few beers before meeting her, but yes, we met her on the 28th

rjm

New

Post by rjm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:39 am

Hey there classmates. I was wondering why the forum on the admitted students website was so dead, and now I know why!

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:07 am

rjm wrote:Hey there classmates. I was wondering why the forum on the admitted students website was so dead, and now I know why!
Yeah, over 50 of us are on here! Welcome!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:35 pm

SgtBilko wrote:yeah, it's pretty miserable. I have about 50 boxes, 7 duffel bags and that doesn't include my furniture.. :shock:
How do you have 50 boxes worth of stuff?? :shock:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

doublehoo22

New

Post by doublehoo22 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:37 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
greygoose wrote:c, you're probably a bit antsy cuz you're a bit alone right now. once most of us come south, i'm sure you'll feel more comfortable. i won't lie, i've felt some apprehension, but it's more because i'll be a bit far from home. i go back to my lunch with my uva "rock" and realize i'll get a great job in 3 years and i'm more focused on enjoying my time at uva. just relax and you'll be accompanied soon by some of the finest people you'll ever meet in less than 2-3 weeks.
I think it definitely has a bit to do with being alone. Being alone with my thoughts for a month is slowly driving me insane.

You people need to hurry up and get here. :D

Cant... I'm here. What are you doing to fill your days? You should check out Fridays After Five (downtown) or some of the restaurants on the downtown mall and on the corner. I think there may be a few other people here already too. I am not sure. I can definitely tell it is almost "that time" again. "Grounds" is getting busier each day.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:38 pm

Anyone up for a day trip to D.C. the week of August 11th-15th? I might be meeting with a partner to name drop and seeing the sights.

additionally, i believe 1hellauvalawer is at ivy already. i'm sure there are multiple 1Ls in c'ville right now.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:59 pm

greygoose wrote:Anyone up for a day trip to D.C. the week of August 11th-15th? I might be meeting with a partner to name drop and seeing the sights.

additionally, i believe 1hellauvalawer is at ivy already. i'm sure there are multiple 1Ls in c'ville right now.
I might be down for such a trip.

I'm going on vacation now, so who's in C-ville no longer matters.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:52 pm

I'm not nervous about school starting, I'm excited! Ever since I was a little kid, I've always been excited for school to start... go buy my new back-to-school supplies (books in college), go to my new classes, meet my new teachers... and then after a month, I get tired of it and start counting down when it will end :) Every semester I'm like, "next semester will be better, my new classes sound so much better" and it's always the same, hah.

But as of right now... I'm still excited :) Mostly about setting up the new apartment and laying around at the pool for two weeks before classes start. But also to see what these next three years will be all about.

Also... a washer/dryer was imperative for me. I had no idea that was even in the realm of possibilities (coming from UG baltimore... no one had their own washer/dryer, at least in the area by my school), but once I knew it was, there was no turning back. Also... dishwasher! That is going to save me so much time every night!

Edit: I AM nervous about the impending tuition bill that is slated to arrive tomorrow...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”