University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
greygoose

Bronze

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by greygoose » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:45 pm

love is never the answer:

--ImageRemoved--

hokiefan

New

Post by hokiefan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:06 am

What type of moron would give away the test questions? That seems like a great way to end up in the bottom 25% of the class.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:06 am

haha, I like how we shifted slightly from "It would be morally wrong and against the honor code" to "and it would be against your own self-interest." UVa is supposed to be a friendly, cooperative school...

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:46 am

OnceLost wrote: UVa is supposed to be a friendly, cooperative school...
pffft, f*ck you guys :lol:

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:12 am

That could be considered friendly and cooperative.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:13 am

OnceLost wrote:That could be considered friendly and cooperative.
hahahahahaha

vjm

New

Post by vjm » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:07 pm

Hi guys,

Bars: these are by location, not by ranking

1. BWIII's: sports/ wings/ beer, I only mention because it is by the law school and it is large. Barracks Road Shopping Center.

2. Baja Bean: ok mexican food, karaoke on Thursdays (I think), poker tournaments upstairs on Wednesdays (I think), big margaritas. I like the cheap, less authentic version of a margarita so these are fine with me.

3. Orbitz Billards: closed currently, remodeling?, smoky upstairs with pool tables, not sure when/ if it is reopening

4. I avoid the rest of the bars on the Corner.

5. McGrady's: decent bar food, cheap wing/ beer specials, big deck outside, hella noisy inside, has one of those shuffleboard tables inside. You will probably end up here after softball.

6. Wild Wings: If you are looking for a spot to watch a sporting event, this is the one. Wings, beer, fabulous Lynchburg Lemonade. Large patio upstairs. Live music on the weekends erratically. Get there very early for big events (World Cup, Series, etc), because tables go a few hours in advance. Downstairs is family land. Good food for kids.

7. Continental Divide: good southwestern place. Excellent mixed drinks, although they tend to be very strong. Tiny, so expect to wait in peak hours.

8. Durty Nelly's: great sandwiches on one side, nice dim bar on the other. Live local music. Pinball. Located next to the best fried chicken in town at Wayside Chicken.

9. Miller's: sit outside on the big Mall patio, or inside to hear music (John D'earth is a regular for jazz night), or go upstairs to the smokiest pool hall in town. You will want to burn your clothes after, no joke. Heads up for the hustlers here, sometimes in a guy/girl team. Cheap drinks, terrible food.

10. Blue Light: on the Mall, pricey, hideous inside (to me) but a nice patio. This is the watering hole for "young, hip Charlottesville" (if there is such a thing). Great wine/ drink list.

11. South Street Brewery: they make their beer, it is good, the place is always packed, the food sucks. Another younger spot. Too crowded for me.

12. Bang!: home of the infamous "Bang girls", nice outside space, awesome mixed drinks and can be pretty tasty food, pricier. Food is kind of Asian inspired.

13. Ten: above Blue Light, just lost their chef, very expensive, was very delicious (I am sure it will be again), nice sake selection and fantastic sushi. Fancies itself to be New York quality, and charges accordingly.

14. Petit Pois: French bistro, not cheap but not terribly expensive, nice wine slection, very small inside with a nice patio

15. Zocalo: big ass bar, food never changes (if you like it, that is a plus), big patio, not super expensive, but pricier. Young hip Charlottesville again.

16. There was a bar called Kiki on 4th st (I think?), it has reopened as something else now. I don't know the name, but the bartender is Sarah and she is great and gorgeous. pricier.

17. Fleurie: way expensive French place, great little bar (but not a "bar scene"), nice wine list and cocktails.

18. il Cane Pazzo: Italian restaurant with small bar, nice selection of Italian wimes, pricier but not devestating. The grilled pizza is one of the best things in town.

19. Lazy Parrot: local hangout, esp. after softball, older crowd, cheap buckets and wings. Heads up, this is one of those spots you may hear racist comments. Darts. Nice outdoor patio, unfortunately with live music of the "Rocky Mountain High" variety.

20. Beer Run: the best place in town. Great food (the pressed sandwiches and brunch items are fantastic), great beer selections, reasonable prices, out side seating, wi-fi, and an entire store full of specialty beers and wines. If you live in Belmont, they deliver (I think 7 days a week) if you set up a credit card account with them. Kegs, ponies, sixes of every kind of beer you could ever want. Nice folks as well. Highly recommended if you want to chill in a grown up, non meat market sort of way.

Last one:

C&O: been around forever, the bar is charming and they serve late night snacks. Mediocre drinks, nice wines, great in warm weather when they open up the big windows. I find the covered patio oppressive and the food underwhelming. Local character.

I think that is it. There are some up 29 I haven't covered (Damon's, Wolfie's, Fat Daddy's) but that's because they suck. Poor quality, fights at the first two.

I am sure I left some out, but this should get you started.

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:49 pm

vjm kicks ass

okokokok

New

Post by okokokok » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:16 pm

Hey Hoos, I just got my LSAT score and my goal is to go to UVA. I retook the LSAT and got a 159 the first time and the 170 the second time. My GPA is 3.87 and I went to a pretty good school for undergrad. I'm also a VA resident and my father did his undergrad at UVA. My other soft factors are pretty good, but nothing outstanding. Could you all give me any input about my chances???

Also, in my circumstances I think I should consider binding early admission -- do you all think it would significantly raise my chances for admission?

Thanks and congrats on going to a great school!
Last edited by okokokok on Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rsr28

New

Post by rsr28 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:23 pm

okokokok wrote:Hey Hoos, I just got my LSAT score and my goal is to go to UVA. I retook the LSAT and got a 159 the first time and the 170 the second time. My GPA is 3.87 and I went to a pretty good school for undergrad. I'm also a VA resident and my father did his undergrad at UVA. My other soft factors are pretty good, but nothing outstanding. Could you all give me any input about my chances???

Also, in my circumstances I think I should consider binding early admission -- do you all think it would significantly raise my chances for admission?

You have a very good chance. Don't be too wild on your personal statement and you should have no problems.

Your undergrad legacy will most likely have little effect; however, combined with early admission it won't hurt. If you are indeed certain you'd go to UVA over NYU, Columbia, Penn, Michigan, AND Boalt if admitted then early admission would be a good choice. However you have a strong chance of getting in without early admission so if you have any thoughts of preferring the above listed schools you may not want to enter the binding agreement. While you might not have a "good" shot at the above places, you certainly have a plausible chance at any of them.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:27 pm

Bought a new 32" Samsung Series 3 LCD TV for my room today. 8)

hokiefan

New

Post by hokiefan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:52 pm

okokokok wrote:Hey Hoos, I just got my LSAT score and my goal is to go to UVA. I retook the LSAT and got a 159 the first time and the 170 the second time. My GPA is 3.87 and I went to a pretty good school for undergrad. I'm also a VA resident and my father did his undergrad at UVA. My other soft factors are pretty good, but nothing outstanding. Could you all give me any input about my chances???

You have an excellent chance. Every person on LSN who had a 170 or above and was a Virginia resident was accepted. I personally wouldn't do ED at UVA because it might limit your scholarship opportunities (although GreyGoose did receive some money with ED) given that you have a great shot at getting through regular admission.

Good luck and congratulations to you on a great score.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi thread. I miss you all.

Hokiefan, love the tar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:18 pm

vjm wrote:I am sure I left some out, but this should get you started.
Fun list you've got there (my friends love C&O)- but you left out all the gay bars, hip-hop clubs, and dancehall/ reggae/ gogo/ techno spots! :D Some of these get a bad rap and I am entirely too old to be caught at most of them, but no C'ville night-spot list is complete without at least a courtesy nod at:

1. Biltmore (cheesy but cheap, fresh out of undergrad 1Ls will like it)
2. Rapture (1-2 nights a week the brown faces in town emerge)
3. Saxx Jazz & Blues (jazz, blues, potent drinks and very nice vibe)
4. Mas (tapas, mmm, bebidas, mmm, and mean waiters, mmmm)
5. Outback ("white trash version of Shania karaoke!")
6. X Lounge (bar review is sometimes there, was for 2nd ASW)
7. Gravity Lounge (blues/rock and 150+ beers)
8. Buddhist Biker Bar & Grill (they have an entree called Tort Reform!)
9. Mellow Mushroom (chain pizza, yes, but beer is cheap and trivia night is still an absolute blast- any takers?)
10. Mono Loco (restaurant, not a bar, but seriously best margaritas in town)
11. Club 216 (local low-key legal rave for GLBTQ folks, families, friends and allies).

I really wanted that list to stop at ten but couldn't decide which to leave out. :x

------

@ okokokok, you'll get in to UVA. Personally I thought applying early was highly overrated, but the consensus is that it's a good idea. Other than that: aim for a perfect app, include a "Why UVA" and/or diversity statement (both of which are welcomed while not requested), and if UVA is unequivocally your first choice, make sure your application says so. Good luck!
Last edited by MissVirginia on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vjm

New

Post by vjm » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:23 pm

nipplehead wrote:vjm kicks ass
danke. lots of research hours in that particular topic.

Poo, I can't believe I forgot Mas! Shame, shame, shame. And of course, I was just in rapture yesterday and blanked it.

I think my nontrad bias shines through. I always forget Biltmore and Buddhist exist. Except for right before walking the Lawn.

Must try Saxx, always forget about it. Also haven't been by The Local, enoteca, Siips (boycotting on account of spelling), and whatever that other wine place is over by Belmont BBQ (delish, by the way).

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:29 pm

vjm wrote:
nipplehead wrote:vjm kicks ass
danke. lots of research hours in that particular topic.

Poo, I can't believe I forgot Mas! Shame, shame, shame. And of course, I was just in rapture yesterday and blanked it.

I think my nontrad bias shines through. I always forget Biltmore and Buddhist exist. Except for right before walking the Lawn.

Must try Saxx, always forget about it. Also haven't been by The Local, enoteca, Siips (boycotting on account of spelling), and whatever that other wine place is over by Belmont BBQ (delish, by the way).
Siips is already on its third name. The bartenders are grad students which means they give the "you're a broke grad student too" discount pretty freely, but I was otherwise underwhelmed. I also don't like wine alone- I like wine with a meal. If I'm going for drinks I want a *drink*.

And I'm pretty "non-trad" too, but I can handle a Buddhist burger every now and again... someone has to chaperone. I'm keeping in mind that most of the folks in this thread are about 14 years old, err, uhm, I mean 21-23. vjm you and I may be too old for regular appearances at the Biltmore, but they won't be- not even when they graduate! :wink:

vjm

New

Post by vjm » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:45 pm

Well in that case, Jabberwocky and whatever is taking the place of the Irish bar on the Corner.

And I hope I get to hang at Buddhist when I graduate! A fantastic morning.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:48 pm

vjm wrote:Well in that case, Jabberwocky and whatever is taking the place of the Irish bar on the Corner.
I don't know about the replacement, but we missed both Jab and Three next door- both of which are decent, the latter caters to a more civil (if not necessarily older) crowd. It's funny to think that between two people in twenty minutes I bet we could name every bar in town. All... 25 of them. :|

vjm

New

Post by vjm » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:50 pm

Well, we didn't include chains. Outback Steakhouse, TGIFriday's, Ruby Tuesday, Bonefish. Shoot, there's four more already!

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:09 am

Haven't visited this thread in a while, so just wanted to pop my head in and say hi to everyone! I'm back from vacation and excited for August!

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:39 am

I'm too old a fuddy-duddy to do the bar thing very often, but my wife found a "pick your own" orchard (apples, peaches, nectarines, sweet cherries) 15 minutes out of town.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:45 am

The last few times I've been down to C'ville, 1Ls were going to Buddhist. Although I don't know if that's always true or just sort of each class migrates towards a different bar each year for whatever reason.

MochaLaw

New

Post by MochaLaw » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:01 pm

OnceLost wrote:I'm too old a fuddy-duddy to do the bar thing very often, but my wife found a "pick your own" orchard (apples, peaches, nectarines, sweet cherries) 15 minutes out of town.
Yesssssss!!!

Call me weird, but I'll take fruits and veggies over alcohol any day x1000000000. What's the orchard called?

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:41 pm

Carter Mountain Orchard. Check out http://www.cartermountainorchard.com/

When you add that to the mountains and the vineyards nearby (we bought a killer Virginia sangiovese at a Whole Foods when we visited during my interview), I hope to spend most of my weekends outdoors.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:54 pm

MochaLaw wrote:Call me weird, but I'll take fruits and veggies over alcohol any day x1000000000.
Why choose when one can have both? Bloody Mary, Appletini, Mango Margarita, Mimosa, Peach Daiquiri = Fruits & Vegetables.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”