University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
wesleybs

New

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by wesleybs » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:42 am

My Avemore lease doesn't start until the 13th
My Avemore lease won't start until the 11th, but I'm down for all of the above once we move in. Really looking forward to meeting everyone in CVille.
I thought I was the only one moving in this late. My Avemore lease starts the 9th. Can't wait to start getting to know all of you.

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:59 am

Posting from China! Congrats to everyone who's moved in already, and best of luck to the folks soon following suit. I get back to Cville on August 14th and would definitely be up for a get-together. In the meantime, cheers!

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:22 pm

Well, I'm here in VA now. I'm staying with my parents in Glen Allen right now, but I'll be in C-Ville on Aug. 1. Gonna hit up the IKEA tomorrow probably, do some clothes shopping today. I'll definitely be down for doing the drink/bbq/sports etc. when I get there! You all can come chill at the pool at Woodlands if ya want, it has a bball court too

See everyone soon

ouva

New

Post by ouva » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:27 pm

I don't know how many of you on this forum actively read the admitted students forum, but on there we are planning a tentative get-together for Thurs Aug 7 (as a lot of people are moving in within the next week). Anyone interested/have any suggestions for bars/restaurants at which to hang out?

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:36 pm

I'm all about the meetup, but would it cramp anyone's style to do it at a restaurant rather than a bar? I'd like to bring my wife, which means the kids come along. There's a kickin' buffet, from what I hear. I also strongly suggest a pot-luck barbecue thing at a park; a frisbee, a bag of charcoal, a couple of meat patties...any takers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ouva

New

Post by ouva » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:43 pm

OnceLost wrote:I'm all about the meetup, but would it cramp anyone's style to do it at a restaurant rather than a bar? I'd like to bring my wife, which means the kids come along. There's a kickin' buffet, from what I hear. I also strongly suggest a pot-luck barbecue thing at a park; a frisbee, a bag of charcoal, a couple of meat patties...any takers?
I think a picnic/potluck/barbeque sounds like a great idea! We could all gather and hang out for awhile, and then those who were up for it could head out for a more alcohol-centered social scene afterwards. Do you know of any good parks with maybe a pavillion/picnic area or grills or anything?

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:08 pm

Anyone here want to get together a foursome for golf?

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 pm

You know I'm in for golf when I get back.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:18 pm

ouva wrote: Do you know of any good parks with maybe a pavillion/picnic area or grills or anything?
McIntire Park on Rugby Avenue off 250 is the nicest close park. I don't know how you go about reserving a shelter, but I imagine it can't be too tough.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:22 pm

You could go to THE Park next to the law school.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:30 pm

I didn't realize The Park had grills and picnic shelters, but then again I've never done more than drive by.

ouva

New

Post by ouva » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:03 am

MissVirginia wrote:I didn't realize The Park had grills and picnic shelters, but then again I've never done more than drive by.
it looks like the park does have picnic tables/shelters, but i don't know about grills, and it says that you have to be either a uva department or student organization in order to reserve it.

Mcintire park sounds like a good bet, although it looks like it costs $55 to reserve a shelter... but i'll bet if no one else has reserved it it's free for use.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:07 am

ouva wrote:Mcintire park sounds like a good bet, although it looks like it costs $55 to reserve a shelter... but i'll bet if no one else has reserved it it's free for use.
:D

I wonder if Washington Park might be cheaper than $55? It's about as close/ nice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:15 pm

J-Rod wrote:Anyone here want to get together a foursome for golf?
i want to learn how to play...not sure where i start? i can putt ok, chip a little, never really teed off though

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:16 pm

OnceLost wrote:I'm all about the meetup, but would it cramp anyone's style to do it at a restaurant rather than a bar? I'd like to bring my wife, which means the kids come along. There's a kickin' buffet, from what I hear. I also strongly suggest a pot-luck barbecue thing at a park; a frisbee, a bag of charcoal, a couple of meat patties...any takers?
that sounds like a great idea.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:58 pm

Is anyone in C'ville working during the week right now? If not, we'd probably have better luck with an unreserved pavilion on a weekday.

McIntire Park has some really good pavilions with great shade...and there's one next to the playground (the western one, not the one next to the kiddie pool) which is terribly convenient.

How does Friday sound? 3pm? Once we set a date and time, I'll get it listed on the Facebook page.

If we get a headcount, we can start allotting food portions. I have some grilling gear (despite leaving my grill in Tallahassee) and I can take care of charcoal.

Stuff we'll need:
Hamburgers/hot dogs (BYOVegetarian cuisine?)
Buns
Drinks
Ice
Sides

Can anyone think of anything else?

ouva

New

Post by ouva » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:02 pm

I won't be into town until this Sunday... I know in the law forum a lot of people were planning on doing something Thursday the 7th. Does that work okay for you? or would you maybe just want to split off and have multiple get-togethers?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:14 pm

No, Thursday the 7th would be fine. Multiple get-together would be fine, too. I'm pretty casual about this kinda stuff. If there is any interest in a Friday barbecue, I'm in. If not...well, I might just be there anyway, but I'll only be bringing a small bag of charcoal.

CaptainDirtyBird

New

Post by CaptainDirtyBird » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:42 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I dontz get in till da 14th. Is people still gonnaz want to grillz.

I Can Has Cheezburger?

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:38 pm

CaptainDirtyBird wrote::cry: :cry: :cry:

I Can Has Cheezburger?
for sure. i get in the 11th so sounds like i'm missing a few meet-ups too.

CAtoVa

New

Post by CAtoVa » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:35 pm

August 8th/9th arrival here. I might be down for something after I get in.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:38 pm

CaptainDirtyBird wrote::cry: :cry: :cry:

I Can Has Cheezburger?
you can haz failburgerz for arriving so late.

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:54 pm

Hi! Quick question for the other Woodlands residents - do you know what kind of cable package is included in the lease? If it's the really really basic one, have any of you asked about the upgrade options and whether you have to pay for the entire new package, or just the difference between the two? Also DVRs, has anyone tried to add them onto the included service?

I figured I'd check here before emailing! Thanks!!! :)

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:51 pm

bamabreeze wrote:Hi! Quick question for the other Woodlands residents - do you know what kind of cable package is included in the lease? If it's the really really basic one, have any of you asked about the upgrade options and whether you have to pay for the entire new package, or just the difference between the two? Also DVRs, has anyone tried to add them onto the included service?

I figured I'd check here before emailing! Thanks!!! :)
I was actually wondering the same thing... so unless anyone else knows for sure, I think it'd be best to ask and then let us all know what the deal is! Or, I could just tell you on Saturday when I move in and figure it out... (eek, moving Saturday!!!!)

I am so excited about paying rent with my credit card. So, so excited. Free airline tickets, here I come!

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:54 pm

^ you ladies living at the Woodlands too?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”