University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
cantwaitforuva

Silver

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed May 28, 2008 12:52 am

OnceLost wrote:
cantwaitforuva wrote: I'll be honest - I'm partial to 18/10 stainless and copper, but that's just me. :D I'm gonna get a nice All Clad set as a present for myself when I land that Biglaw job.

But cooking on Calphalon sounds like a nice way to spend an evening. You make sushi appetizers and I'll make a dinner that does not even remotely go with sushi. And you should serve wasabi with the sushi because it's an antimicrobial. :D
I'm solidly entrenched in the WTF School of Cooking, where you loosely base a dish on an ingredient list and don't worry too much about the details.

Speaking of cooking, we had the most incredible amuse bouche last weekend - it was a creamy goat cheese with cranberries wrapped in zucchini skin, jalapeño, and prosciutto...it was phenomenal, developing into four or five distinct tastes as you ate it. I'm not a food snob, but I love a tasty bite to eat.
Yum. I love goat cheese.

I make a pretty good gougere (with gruyere of course!). :D

Now when you say you "loosely base a dish on an ingredient list and don't worry too much about the details" do you mean you just throw random stuff together?

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Wed May 28, 2008 12:59 pm

07, blue

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Wed May 28, 2008 8:50 pm

Not exactly random. I know enough of the basics to balance sweets and salts, for example, I just don't feel obligated to restrict my creations to preexisting recipes. That lack of restriction is why I'm interested in having you do the cooking, though... :wink:

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed May 28, 2008 11:02 pm

OnceLost wrote:Not exactly random. I know enough of the basics to balance sweets and salts, for example, I just don't feel obligated to restrict my creations to preexisting recipes. That lack of restriction is why I'm interested in having you do the cooking, though... :wink:
I don't follow recipes for cooking either.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Wed May 28, 2008 11:14 pm

I obsessively follow recipes. But that's mostly because I bake... I have a friend who "improvises" with baking, and it always ends up horrible (like she'll be out of something so she'll substitute something, or she'll run out of one ingredient and add something else in to make up for it). Baking is like chemistry... unless you really know what you're doing, it's best to stick with the recipe. But cooking definitely calls for some improvisation... I just wish I could cook as well as I can bake :) My culinary skills are limited to baking muffins/cookies/cakes/brownies/pancakes/scones and cooking meat + seasoning salt + olive oil in a cast iron pan. And whatever frozen vegetable I have. I'd really love to take some cooking classes, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed May 28, 2008 11:23 pm

sialeeds wrote:I obsessively follow recipes. But that's mostly because I bake... I have a friend who "improvises" with baking, and it always ends up horrible (like she'll be out of something so she'll substitute something, or she'll run out of one ingredient and add something else in to make up for it). Baking is like chemistry... unless you really know what you're doing, it's best to stick with the recipe. But cooking definitely calls for some improvisation... I just wish I could cook as well as I can bake :) My culinary skills are limited to baking muffins/cookies/cakes/brownies/pancakes/scones and cooking meat + seasoning salt + olive oil in a cast iron pan. And whatever frozen vegetable I have. I'd really love to take some cooking classes, though.
Her attempt at baking bread....

rayallen20

New

Post by rayallen20 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:08 am

Gruyere? Prosciutto? Goat Cheese?!?!?!?!?!

I don't know whether to make friends with you guys so you can cook these dishes for me (I'll buy the ingredients of course) or stick with my usual Chicken/Pasta/Steak/(insert easy generic dish here).

P.S. Go Celtics!!! 1 more win and we're in the finals baby!!!!! Hopefully '08 will bring back some of that Celtics/Lakers magic from the 80's.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 29, 2008 12:20 am

sialeeds wrote:I obsessively follow recipes. But that's mostly because I bake... I have a friend who "improvises" with baking, and it always ends up horrible (like she'll be out of something so she'll substitute something, or she'll run out of one ingredient and add something else in to make up for it). Baking is like chemistry... unless you really know what you're doing, it's best to stick with the recipe. But cooking definitely calls for some improvisation... I just wish I could cook as well as I can bake :) My culinary skills are limited to baking muffins/cookies/cakes/brownies/pancakes/scones and cooking meat + seasoning salt + olive oil in a cast iron pan. And whatever frozen vegetable I have. I'd really love to take some cooking classes, though.
Well if baking I always follow the recipe and I bake quite a bit. That's very different from cooking though, which is more intuitive.

I would love a nice cast iron set, I'm just not sure if I want to spend the time on the up keep. I know that sounds silly, but having to regularly season cast iron is making me put buying a set on hold.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 29, 2008 12:25 am

rayallen20 wrote:Gruyere? Prosciutto? Goat Cheese?!?!?!?!?!

I don't know whether to make friends with you guys so you can cook these dishes for me (I'll buy the ingredients of course) or stick with my usual Chicken/Pasta/Steak/(insert easy generic dish here).

P.S. Go Celtics!!! 1 more win and we're in the finals baby!!!!! Hopefully '08 will bring back some of that Celtics/Lakers magic from the 80's.
Haha - befriend us, please! I love cooking for other people - it's much more fun than cooking for one. When you move in let me know and I'll cook up a welcome dinner (of course you have to be my sous chef then). :D And chicken, pasta, and steak don't have to be generic!! Those are some of my favorite things and there is so much you can do with them. Especially if you do more on your own - ie make your own pasta, breaking down a tenderloin, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu May 29, 2008 12:42 am

cantwaitforuva wrote:Haha - befriend us, please! I love cooking for other people
If that's so, then you and I are gonna get a long great . . . because I love to eat!

rayallen20

New

Post by rayallen20 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:45 am

cantwaitforuva wrote:
rayallen20 wrote:Gruyere? Prosciutto? Goat Cheese?!?!?!?!?!

Haha - befriend us, please! I love cooking for other people - it's much more fun than cooking for one. When you move in let me know and I'll cook up a welcome dinner (of course you have to be my sous chef then). :D And chicken, pasta, and steak don't have to be generic!! Those are some of my favorite things and there is so much you can do with them. Especially if you do more on your own - ie make your own pasta, breaking down a tenderloin, etc.

You're too nice!!!! Well my lease is for June 14th but I have a good job out on Long Island for the summer, so I'm not officially moving down until late July/early August. I appreciate the offer. I must warn you though. Just to show you how culinary-illiterate I am, I had to google what a sous chef is. :oops:

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu May 29, 2008 12:49 am

--ImageRemoved--

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 29, 2008 12:55 am

J-Rod wrote:
cantwaitforuva wrote:Haha - befriend us, please! I love cooking for other people
If that's so, then you and I are gonna get a long great . . . because I love to eat!
Haha sounds good. If you help pay for food I'd be happy to cook anytime.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 29, 2008 12:58 am

rayallen20 wrote:
You're too nice!!!! Well my lease is for June 14th but I have a good job out on Long Island for the summer, so I'm not officially moving down until late July/early August. I appreciate the offer. I must warn you though. Just to show you how culinary-illiterate I am, I had to google what a sous chef is. :oops:
Mine starts June 14th, too! We'll have to hang out and cook when you finally move down. And no need for embarrasment on the sous chef thing! I'll teach all sorts of crazy french cooking lingo.

Where on Long Island? My best friend's from Setauket.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Thu May 29, 2008 10:29 am

It's Strong Island. Get it right.

I'm from LI so perhaps I can give you some good places to check out, but my gut tells me you'll be out east.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Thu May 29, 2008 12:05 pm

i like to cook, but my baking skills are non-existent. i smoked some fish for the first time, yesterday (king salmon i caught from alaska a few days ago). i think it turned out pretty well, i'm always up for learning new stuff. teach away!

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu May 29, 2008 12:15 pm

for me . . . well . . . I can cook pretty well . . . but I get lazy. Why work so hard, when delicious things like steak, chicken breasts, and mac&cheese are so much easier

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 29, 2008 12:21 pm

J-Rod wrote:for me . . . well . . . I can cook pretty well . . . but I get lazy. Why work so hard, when delicious things like steak, chicken breasts, and mac&cheese are so much easier
cooking well doesn't have to be hard work. Steak, chicken, and mac and cheese are all things that you can cook well. I mean an extra five minutes effort on a steak can give you some amazing results.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Thu May 29, 2008 12:21 pm

greygoose wrote:i like to cook, but my baking skills are non-existent. i smoked some fish for the first time, yesterday (king salmon i caught from alaska a few days ago). i think it turned out pretty well, i'm always up for learning new stuff. teach away!
I think you just wanted to tell everyone you went to Alaska :P

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 29, 2008 12:23 pm

greygoose wrote:i like to cook, but my baking skills are non-existent. i smoked some fish for the first time, yesterday (king salmon i caught from alaska a few days ago). i think it turned out pretty well, i'm always up for learning new stuff. teach away!
Nice. I love fresh salmon - I'm from the West Coast and it is sooo much better over there. Do you have a smoke shed or was this a home operation?? My uncle got a smoke shed last summer and it is amazing.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Thu May 29, 2008 12:32 pm

Salmon and steak are my two favorite things in the entire world. I could never go on one of those diets where you don't eat meat. Eeek. Now if only my knee would hurry up and fix itself so I could start running again...

*goes off to eat some ribs instead*

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Thu May 29, 2008 12:34 pm

--ImageRemoved--

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 29, 2008 12:39 pm

sialeeds wrote:Salmon and steak are my two favorite things in the entire world. I could never go on one of those diets where you don't eat meat. Eeek. Now if only my knee would hurry up and fix itself so I could start running again...

*goes off to eat some ribs instead*
Hahaha. I'm planning on hitting the gym regularly starting this weekend. Finally. :oops:

On another food note - my favorite fish is really fresh sea bass (I have yet to find the good stuff in the states, though).

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Thu May 29, 2008 1:03 pm

Now that we've been talking so much about food.......where is everybody going to work out? UVA gyms or commercial gyms? I'm not familiar with the facilities at UVA and wasn't too concerned about finding the commercial gyms while I was there. And with the cost of law school, I don't want to throw down too much money on gym membership.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu May 29, 2008 1:20 pm

SteelersandGators wrote:Now that we've been talking so much about food.......where is everybody going to work out? UVA gyms or commercial gyms? I'm not familiar with the facilities at UVA and wasn't too concerned about finding the commercial gyms while I was there. And with the cost of law school, I don't want to throw down too much money on gym membership.
North Grounds Rec Center: http://www.virginia.edu/ims/facilities/ngrc.html
AFC: http://www.virginia.edu/ims/facilities/AFC.html

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”