University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
ejones60

New

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by ejones60 » Fri May 23, 2008 11:24 pm

Personally, I liked Bill Nye's speech. He had a good balance of humor and academia, if that makes sense. I dont know why I wasnt expecting it, but he was also a little bit political. Overall message: you need to solve the worlds hugely huge problems. namely global warming.

PS: I thought it was cute that he wore his father's (an alum, class of 1939 or something) bowtie.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Fri May 23, 2008 11:43 pm

Mike and I found our third roommate!! w00t! The search is finally over

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Sat May 24, 2008 3:44 am

wooooooooooodlandssssssssssssssss

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sat May 24, 2008 1:32 pm

J-Rod wrote:Mike and I found our third roommate!! w00t! The search is finally over
Yay! Congrats.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sat May 24, 2008 1:34 pm

ejones60 wrote:Personally, I liked Bill Nye's speech. He had a good balance of humor and academia, if that makes sense. I dont know why I wasnt expecting it, but he was also a little bit political. Overall message: you need to solve the worlds hugely huge problems. namely global warming.

PS: I thought it was cute that he wore his father's (an alum, class of 1939 or something) bowtie.
If it makes you feel any better the speaker for our school (not the university, but the int'l affairs school within it) was recruited last minute and I'm pretty sure he used an old speech, because it had nothing to do with graduation. It was about terrorism and how he combatted it while working for the government. It was more about him and his job than anything else. Weird.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Sat May 24, 2008 2:27 pm

Last edited by bamabreeze on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hokiefan

New

Post by hokiefan » Sat May 24, 2008 2:44 pm

My school had Senator John Warner. His speech was really funny although I feel a lot of the humor may have been lost given that most people were unhappy that they were getting soaked with rain. He began his speech with something like "one of my great friends always told me to just get up and talk until you have something intelligent to say" and it really did seem like he was just making it up on the fly.

CaptainDirtyBird

New

Post by CaptainDirtyBird » Sat May 24, 2008 3:08 pm

Rudy Guilliani gave our speech and he dubbed our entire class the "911 generation." Had to restrain myself from climbing up on stage and beating his lispy ass to death. The best part was he couldn't even get the year right, he kept saying that we were seniors. I cannot describe how happy I was to watch him get trashed in the primaries.

I must say I learned something that day though: that "Conservative" intellectuals are borderline retarded because our GOP faculty cheered everything he said and yet, three full bird Colonels sitting next to him on the stage sat on thier hands. A portent of things to come.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Sat May 24, 2008 5:10 pm

CaptainDirtyBird wrote:Rudy Guilliani gave our speech and he dubbed our entire class the "911 generation." Had to restrain myself from climbing up on stage and beating his lispy ass to death. The best part was he couldn't even get the year right, he kept saying that we were seniors. I cannot describe how happy I was to watch him get trashed in the primaries.

I must say I learned something that day though: that "Conservative" intellectuals are borderline retarded because our GOP faculty cheered everything he said and yet, three full bird Colonels sitting next to him on the stage sat on thier hands. A portent of things to come.

If you happen to be a person who thinks that you can't be conservative and intelligent, or that you can't be conservative and open-minded . . . you and I are not going to get along.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Sat May 24, 2008 5:50 pm

hokiefan wrote:My school had Senator John Warner. His speech was really funny although I feel a lot of the humor may have been lost given that most people were unhappy that they were getting soaked with rain. He began his speech with something like "one of my great friends always told me to just get up and talk until you have something intelligent to say" and it really did seem like he was just making it up on the fly.
Aww, I love Warner. He's great, I bet he gave a wonderful speech.

Honestly, I zoned out during Bill Nye's speech. And it got a little too political (c'mon, not every college student is a flaming liberal... and the parents certainly aren't). He seemed to assume that we'd all agree with his point of view...

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Sat May 24, 2008 6:09 pm

sialeeds wrote:
hokiefan wrote:My school had Senator John Warner. His speech was really funny although I feel a lot of the humor may have been lost given that most people were unhappy that they were getting soaked with rain. He began his speech with something like "one of my great friends always told me to just get up and talk until you have something intelligent to say" and it really did seem like he was just making it up on the fly.
Aww, I love Warner. He's great, I bet he gave a wonderful speech.

Honestly, I zoned out during Bill Nye's speech. And it got a little too political (c'mon, not every college student is a flaming liberal... and the parents certainly aren't). He seemed to assume that we'd all agree with his point of view...

Another good reason why I hate when celebrities try to get political . . . I pay for cable so I can see you act on TV, not to listen to your stupid ass political views that are poorly based in irrational assumptions, yet you still feel that you (with your millions and millions of dollars in the bank, earned from knowing how to recite lines and fake a smile or some tears) can somehow relate politically to John Doe working for 10.50/hr at an automotive plant in Detroit.

breanne2011

New

Post by breanne2011 » Sat May 24, 2008 8:42 pm

J-Rod wrote: Another good reason why I hate when celebrities try to get political . . . I pay for cable so I can see you act on TV, not to listen to your stupid ass political views that are poorly based in irrational assumptions, yet you still feel that you (with your millions and millions of dollars in the bank, earned from knowing how to recite lines and fake a smile or some tears) can somehow relate politically to John Doe working for 10.50/hr at an automotive plant in Detroit.
You don't "get" it, MAN...the celebrities, they know. Take Tim Robbins or Sean Penn:
Let me explain to you how this works. You see, the corporations finance Team America. And then Team America goes out and the corporations sit there in their, in their corporation buildings and, and and see that's, they're all corporationy, and they make money. Mhm.
Last year, I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had... flowery meadows and rainbow skies and, and rivers made of chocolate where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
We're lucky we have them to enlighten us.

ejones60

New

Post by ejones60 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:14 pm

J-Rod wrote:Honestly, I zoned out during Bill Nye's speech. And it got a little too political (c'mon, not every college student is a flaming liberal... and the parents certainly aren't). He seemed to assume that we'd all agree with his point of view.
So I wasnt bothered by the liberal slant or his list of "big problems", but I agree with Sia. I kept thinking thinking, "I hope that the parents (including mine) dont get offended by this..." Luckily if my parents were upset, they let me have my day and did not mention it (is that selfish of me to say?).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

doublehoo22

New

Post by doublehoo22 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:30 pm

gladiator wrote:Tom Pereillo, OnceLost, anyone but Virgil Goode.

Agreed. I think the General Assembly keeps this area in his district as some sort of sick joke.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Sat May 24, 2008 9:56 pm

ejones60 wrote:So I wasnt bothered by the liberal slant or his list of "big problems", but I agree with Sia. I kept thinking thinking, "I hope that the parents (including mine) dont get offended by this..." Luckily if my parents were upset, they let me have my day and did not mention it (is that selfish of me to say?).
Not selfish at all.

How many of you people went to Hopkins?!

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Sat May 24, 2008 10:30 pm

Last edited by bamabreeze on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sat May 24, 2008 10:46 pm

You're not really conservative then, that's Libertarian.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Sat May 24, 2008 10:54 pm

MissVirginia wrote:How many of you people went to Hopkins?!
Just me and ejones :)

Bamabreeze -- that's my political stance exactly. Gladiator, it would be considered Libertarian, except Libertarian is a lot more extreme in both directions.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sat May 24, 2008 10:56 pm

I'm a Libertarian leaning centrist.

CaptainDirtyBird

New

Post by CaptainDirtyBird » Sat May 24, 2008 11:02 pm

J-Rod wrote:
CaptainDirtyBird wrote:Rudy Guilliani gave our speech and he dubbed our entire class the "911 generation." Had to restrain myself from climbing up on stage and beating his lispy ass to death. The best part was he couldn't even get the year right, he kept saying that we were seniors. I cannot describe how happy I was to watch him get trashed in the primaries.

If you happen to be a person who thinks that you can't be conservative and intelligent, or that you can't be conservative and open-minded . . . you and I are not going to get along.
All I ask is that your open-minded...the only douches at this event who actually fell for the pandering where people who think you can look at the world like a logic game (and there scores are 139s - seriously, I saw one dudes diagnostic). Like I said, there were full-bird colonels sitting on thier hands during his speech, on stage, because he sounded like a pundit and he was whoring himself to his preconcieved notion of the place.

Its a college founded to prevent slave revolts, its a batshit crazy place. But not everyone there thinks that we should start as many wars as we feel, were completely justified because any country that has tenous ties to terrorism should be invaded, or that everyone who isn't a George Bush supporter is a traitor. I'm pointing our "Conservative" (emphasis on people who wear a heavy GOP label) Intellectuals ...oh fuck I'm too drunk to type, we'll talk about it in August. Suffice to say most people who where a dogmattic label can't be treated as intelligent individuals.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Sat May 24, 2008 11:17 pm

haha, damn . . . on the TLS stats page, I look like the dumb kid!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

readinmonotone

New

Post by readinmonotone » Sun May 25, 2008 12:27 am

Our graduation speaker was a former president of the university at which he was speaking. Pretty sweet huh. I wasn't really paying attention but I laughed a little too loud when he mentioned anti-ballistic missiles.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Sun May 25, 2008 9:51 am

Speaking of graduations... did you guys see the graduation slideshow? In addition to the photos, they also have Dean Jeffries, the keynote, and SBA President's speeches:

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... deshow.htm

It was still a nice ceremony in the gym, but on the Law Lawn it's just remarkable. Keep your fingers crossed for sunny skies on May 22, 2011!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sun May 25, 2008 11:29 am

MissVirginia wrote:Speaking of graduations... did you guys see the graduation slideshow? In addition to the photos, they also have Dean Jeffries, the keynote, and SBA President's speeches:

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... deshow.htm

It was still a nice ceremony in the gym, but on the Law Lawn it's just remarkable. Keep your fingers crossed for sunny skies on May 22, 2011!
I was there the day after graduation when they were removing stuff. How do they fit it on the lawn? It seems so small. Then again my prespective is probably a bit off because I had just gone to a graduation with over 20,000 people. :D

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Sun May 25, 2008 12:57 pm

I was there last year the day before graduation and saw everything set up on the lawn . . . it was sunny and green and beautiful
Last edited by J-Rod on Sun May 25, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”