University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
cantwaitforuva

Silver

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:15 pm

sialeeds wrote:
Also... a washer/dryer was imperative for me. I had no idea that was even in the realm of possibilities (coming from UG baltimore... no one had their own washer/dryer, at least in the area by my school), but once I knew it was, there was no turning back. Also... dishwasher! That is going to save me so much time every night!
You didn't have a dishwasher??? I didn't know there were many apartments still like that.

I have to say, although I disliked a lot of things about my ugrad we did have pretty sweet dorms - often including our own washer/dryer and always including a dishwasher.

gillespiea23

New

Post by gillespiea23 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:32 pm

I can't even imagine a world where undergrad dorms had private washers, dryers, and dishwashers...Having such luxuries in law school was a must :)

triadolpho

New

Post by triadolpho » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:34 pm

200 pages.

Woot.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:02 pm

my tuition bill is gonna sit there until my loans get disbursed to the law school . . . and then to me.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:32 pm

gillespiea23 wrote:I can't even imagine a world where undergrad dorms had private washers, dryers, and dishwashers...Having such luxuries in law school was a must :)
We also had maids freshman year. It was excessive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:35 pm

Excessive doesn't begin to describe it...extravagant comes a little closer. But I'm just saying that because I'm jealous.

I called Verizon again, by the way, was was assigned a 434 number in about two and a half minutes. Apparently my very friendly call-taker was also a clueless call-taker, but it's all good.

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:02 am

cantwaitforuva wrote:
gillespiea23 wrote:I can't even imagine a world where undergrad dorms had private washers, dryers, and dishwashers...Having such luxuries in law school was a must :)
We also had maids freshman year. It was excessive.
... um, wow!!! We had like 80 years of dust on everything, and many of our cleaning people thought lounging on our porch swings and smoking was a way better use of their time (though they were mostly really nice!). But anyway, I swear, I have the Black Lung, or asbestos poisoning, or maybe some lead paint illness, it was just terrible. Disclaimer: I did choose to live in the more scenic (and yes, ancient) housing, but still.

Maid service would have been fantastic, or free dry cleaning or laundry (I've heard of schools that had that), or, a dishwasher in the common kitchens... etc etc etc. Undergrad, pretty as it was, housing was not the best ----> why the (same price!) luxury of The Woodlands sounds so good to me!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:24 am

hmm, no bill yet...happy for now. :wink:

doublehoo22

New

Post by doublehoo22 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:27 am

OnceLost wrote:Excessive doesn't begin to describe it...extravagant comes a little closer. But I'm just saying that because I'm jealous.

I called Verizon again, by the way, was was assigned a 434 number in about two and a half minutes. Apparently my very friendly call-taker was also a clueless call-taker, but it's all good.

So it wasn't the cell tower thing. I wonder what the call-taker was so confused about. Did the other person mention anything about Verizon coming to Charlottesville? It seems like a lot of my friends from out of town have it and like it. I just don't like the idea of driving 50 minutes or so to have my phone fixed or replaced if I ever mess it up. I am very accident prone when it comes to phones.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:22 am

It wasn't just the dorms... the (upperclassman) dorms were actually nicer than private apartments because at least they had centralized air and were newer. The apartments in north Baltimore are all really old and thus have no amenities. Oh, except for a set of new condos they built a few years ago, but no one in school could afford those... they were built for professors mostly, I think.

And maid services... my brother had that at Caltech, but I figured that was because everyone there is so clueless about everyday matters that they need it. I didn't know many schools had that... wow. Although to be honest, it would have pissed me off... I hate maids / cleaners... they just end up messing my stuff up / breaking it. We had janitors who cleaned the halls... I felt bad for them because they had to clean up vomit every week. We had this asshole who lived in our dorm who thought it was cool to get wasted and then vomit everywhere. Including the water fountain and the girls bathroom.

Verizon... I am going to try really hard to get out of my contract once I get to Cville. You're in extended network the whole time, and the two times I've been down it's been miserable. It really kills your battery. Apparently it costs a lot more for Verizon since you're roaming, so they sometimes actually drop your contract to try to encourage you to leave them. Then I can migrate to AT&T and get iPhone, and all will be right... hopefully.

J-Rod -- I am worried that financial aid won't be disbursed before August 13! I thought it came August 20 since that's the official first day of classes. I'm so confused.

Nike6075

New

Post by Nike6075 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:28 am

sialeeds wrote:It wasn't just the dorms... the (upperclassman) dorms were actually nicer than private apartments because at least they had centralized air and were newer. The apartments in north Baltimore are all really old and thus have no amenities. Oh, except for a set of new condos they built a few years ago, but no one in school could afford those... they were built for professors mostly, I think.

And maid services... my brother had that at Caltech, but I figured that was because everyone there is so clueless about everyday matters that they need it. I didn't know many schools had that... wow. Although to be honest, it would have pissed me off... I hate maids / cleaners... they just end up messing my stuff up / breaking it. We had janitors who cleaned the halls... I felt bad for them because they had to clean up vomit every week. We had this asshole who lived in our dorm who thought it was cool to get wasted and then vomit everywhere. Including the water fountain and the girls bathroom.

Verizon... I am going to try really hard to get out of my contract once I get to Cville. You're in extended network the whole time, and the two times I've been down it's been miserable. It really kills your battery. Apparently it costs a lot more for Verizon since you're roaming, so they sometimes actually drop your contract to try to encourage you to leave them. Then I can migrate to AT&T and get iPhone, and all will be right... hopefully.

J-Rod -- I am worried that financial aid won't be disbursed before August 13! I thought it came August 20 since that's the official first day of classes. I'm so confused.
No dice. I already tried the 'it costs you more and i can't get internet/send picture messages/etc' and they wouldn't budge on the ETF. If you really push it, they're going to send a guy out to your place with all this equipment to test for signals, and he's going to find just fine extended network service, and he's going to have to tell you no go. I mean, it's only $175 -- i just went ahead and canceled (and got an iphone).

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:44 am

sialeeds wrote:J-Rod -- I am worried that financial aid won't be disbursed before August 13! I thought it came August 20 since that's the official first day of classes. I'm so confused.

I checked, and there is a hold on mine until Aug. 19th. My guess is they're not going to disburse the loans until after I attend the first day of orientation, to make sure that I'll be attending.

I think it is a stupid system, and it annoys me greatly. Now I have to front the money for my first month's rent, food for 20 days in VA before class starts, my moving expenses, a laptop, etc. that I'm supposed to be using my loan money to pay for.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:55 am

Eh, I'm old school - I really only use my phone for voice calls and the very occasional text message, so I'm cool with Verizon.

Sorry, doublehoo, but I didn't ask about when Verizon was making its way over. A google search shows that there was a store in Charlottesville (on Rt 53, I believe), but it's not there anymore. I'm pretty rough on phones myself - I've dropped one in a pool (accidentally) and broken one entirely in half (intentionally...a very satisfying experience).

Brief moment of humor: I'm leaving Tallahassee on Monday and should be in C'ville on Tuesday...and I just heard from a state attorney's office that they're probably going to fly me down to central Florida for a restitution hearing for one of my work cases on Friday. Why they can't handle it via a court reported and a video feed, I have no idea. Great timing, isn't it? At least it isn't after classes start!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RudyGay

New

Post by RudyGay » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:33 pm

hey guys.. i'm in c-ville now if anyone wants to get together. we've been grilling out and playing cornhole almost every day, and anyone is welcome. my roomates are in undergrad and med school, so we have all kinds of people. we are also walking distance from the corner, so we usually go out after.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:45 pm

From that package they sent us a few weeks ago....

"The Law School Financial Aid Office strives to have all scholarship and loan awards credited to your student account prior to the fall billing statement in mid-July."

That makes it sound like when you get your money is dependent on when the law school gets around to handing out the money, not when your bank does....right? So maybe the money will be given out sooner than mid-August.

Nike6075

New

Post by Nike6075 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:47 pm

gladiator wrote:From that package they sent us a few weeks ago....

"The Law School Financial Aid Office strives to have all scholarship and loan awards credited to your student account prior to the fall billing statement in mid-July."

That makes it sound like when you get your money is dependent on when the law school gets around to handing out the money, not when your bank does....right? So maybe the money will be given out sooner than mid-August.
Can't be, by law. They mean that your bill will reflect scholarships and loans - they won't be asking you to cut them a check from your personal bank account - not that the money will be dispursed to you before you've matriculated (again, by law). This was discussed in detail in some other school's Class of 2011 thread.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:46 pm

my bill is up now, but if the stafford loan isn't showing who should i be contacting?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:48 pm

I don't think any of the loans should be showing up yet?

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:05 pm

so supposedly our loans come in later this month? and they'll update our quikpay@uva thing right?

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:08 pm

Nike6075 wrote:No dice. I already tried the 'it costs you more and i can't get internet/send picture messages/etc' and they wouldn't budge on the ETF. If you really push it, they're going to send a guy out to your place with all this equipment to test for signals, and he's going to find just fine extended network service, and he's going to have to tell you no go. I mean, it's only $175 -- i just went ahead and canceled (and got an iphone).
Jerks. They're just paying more for me being on extended network 95% of the time. However, there is a wonderful loophole in the Verizon contract -- if they make any changes (txt message rates, fees, whatever), you have 60 days to call them and cancel your contract with no charge. Apparently they try to talk you out of it, but they have no ground to stand on. So... I'm waiting for a new "change" to surface before I make my move.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:13 pm

greygoose wrote:so supposedly our loans come in later this month? and they'll update our quikpay@uva thing right?
It appears that loans won't come til late August when school starts. But don't worry about the August 13 tuition deadline, as far as i know law students are exempt if the tuition is supposed to be covered by loans/scholarships. Unfortunately, before then, you will have to make other payments like rent that you might have been expecting to pay with loan money. Just check your financial aid award on ISIS to make sure everything looks right.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:18 pm

the scholarship applied already, i'm just waiting for the stafford. i assume those are split 1/2 right? time to write the check... :x

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:40 pm

Yea to figure out what you owe if you're not taking any other loans, just subtract half of your total Stafford loan from your bill.

Nike6075

New

Post by Nike6075 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:57 pm

sialeeds wrote:
Nike6075 wrote:No dice. I already tried the 'it costs you more and i can't get internet/send picture messages/etc' and they wouldn't budge on the ETF. If you really push it, they're going to send a guy out to your place with all this equipment to test for signals, and he's going to find just fine extended network service, and he's going to have to tell you no go. I mean, it's only $175 -- i just went ahead and canceled (and got an iphone).
Jerks. They're just paying more for me being on extended network 95% of the time. However, there is a wonderful loophole in the Verizon contract -- if they make any changes (txt message rates, fees, whatever), you have 60 days to call them and cancel your contract with no charge. Apparently they try to talk you out of it, but they have no ground to stand on. So... I'm waiting for a new "change" to surface before I make my move.
Right, but it seems like Vzw has caught on to this, too. The last time they did this, there was a huge internet explosion of people talking about it, etc. They've probably realized it's going to save them money by just not making these kind of wholesale changes (or implementing them only as plans expire, etc). That's why the last one of these 'material changes' was in 2006. I mean, worth looking out for, but probably not likely to happen.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:09 pm

Checked my bill today . . . it says I owe $17,900. None of my loans show up on there, so I'm assuming that means that they haven't been disbursed to the school, and probably won't be until late august.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”