University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Da Stain

Bronze

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Post by Da Stain » Mon May 05, 2008 5:05 pm

I would much rather lose money playing poker than losing dignity watching Gossip Girl. Sorry ladies.

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Mon May 05, 2008 5:23 pm

yo guys and gals i got a couple questions

i'm not gonna have a car next year, due primarily to financial reasons. does anyone know if there's alternative transportation around c-ville? i really hope i'm not completely fucked by not having a car - just in terms of getting to the store, going to parties, etc......what do you all think?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon May 05, 2008 5:25 pm

J-Rod wrote:actually we're planning on making monday night poker night . . . So Bilko will not be attending Gossip Girl. He'll be too busy losing his money to me
I would vote for Tuesday. Tuesday is usually the day where all TV sucks other than House which is only on in the Spring.
nipplehead wrote:yo guys and gals i got a couple questions

i'm not gonna have a car next year, due primarily to financial reasons. does anyone know if there's alternative transportation around c-ville? i really hope i'm not completely fucked by not having a car - just in terms of getting to the store, going to parties, etc......what do you all think?
If you live within walking distance (or have a dependable chaffeur buddy) of the law school, you'll be fine. There's UVA buses, Charlottesville buses, taxis, and getting rides from friends.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Mon May 05, 2008 5:28 pm

Nip, make sure your roommate has a car. Also, the Woodlands has a concierge service... during the day it's a scheduled route, but after a certain time (9 PM?), you call them and have them pick you up. I'm sure other places have similar things...

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon May 05, 2008 5:30 pm

If you live within walking distance to campus you'll be ok. There are grocery stores and parties that you could walk to. And if you need to go somewhere in particular (target or something) you could get a friend to give you a ride. If I have time, I'd be happy to take people places.

If you live on the city bus line you'd also be fine. But you'll need to check that out because some of the apartment complexes are not near a bus line.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon May 05, 2008 5:32 pm

you can always take taxis, too, if you're coming home from a night out. taxis are very cheap.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Mon May 05, 2008 5:34 pm

Also, I feel like a bike would go a long way in Cville. Obviously not for groceries, but minor errands and stuff.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon May 05, 2008 5:55 pm

taxi are semi-cheap, from what i remember on asd we went out and it wasn't a tiny fare. u remember this j-rod?

have a roommate have a car, if it fits my schedule, i'll give someone a ride for something i want... :)

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon May 05, 2008 6:00 pm

greygoose wrote:taxi are semi-cheap, from what i remember on asd we went out and it wasn't a tiny fare. u remember this j-rod?

have a roommate have a car, if it fits my schedule, i'll give someone a ride for something i want... :)

My cab was less than $3. That is ridiculously cheap.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon May 05, 2008 6:03 pm

to be honest i'm not sure where we went, but it cost like $15 to get to downtown and like $5-6 to get back from the bar to ivy?

seems a bit cheaper than nyc for sure, but not ridiculously from what i remember. i can get from greenwich/east village to like the 40s under $8 most nights...

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon May 05, 2008 6:06 pm

greygoose wrote:to be honest i'm not sure where we went, but it cost like $15 to get to downtown and like $5-6 to get back from the bar to ivy?

seems a bit cheaper than nyc for sure, but not ridiculously from what i remember. i can get from greenwich/east village to like the 40s under $8 most nights...
I dunno. maybe my cab driver liked me more. I think the fare was $2.60. In DC because of the fare system getting into a taxi costs $6 even if you only go a block.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon May 05, 2008 6:14 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3382644

^
stuff like that just warms your heart...

"- A woman accused of running down a man in her car after a Red Sox-Yankees argument in a bar never hit her brakes as she accelerated toward the small group he was in, a prosecutor said Monday."

hopefully ubuntu vs gladiator doesn't result in anything like this...

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon May 05, 2008 6:16 pm

greygoose wrote:i can get from greenwich/east village to like the 40s under $8 most nights...
that's crazy. It costs me $15 to go 1.5 miles from my apartment to adams morgan in DC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon May 05, 2008 6:18 pm

depends on traffic...(i'm talking like 3AM after a night of mayhem :D )

but in salute to southpark!

"I am out of control. Yea, I use drugs. I can do what I want, biatch! Yea, I have sex. It's my hot body, I'll do what I want! I don't go to school and I kill people! What-evah! I'll do what I want!" - Eric Cartman

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon May 05, 2008 6:27 pm

greygoose wrote:depends on traffic...(i'm talking like 3AM after a night of mayhem :D )
I'm talking about the wee hours, too. I go to bars in Adams Morgan, so we're usually taking cabs pretty late at night.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon May 05, 2008 6:35 pm

greygoose wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3382644

^

"- A woman accused of running down a man in her car after a Red Sox-Yankees argument in a bar never hit her brakes as she accelerated toward the small group he was in, a prosecutor said Monday."

Neither of us will have a car.

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Mon May 05, 2008 6:38 pm

gladiator wrote:
J-Rod wrote:actually we're planning on making monday night poker night . . . So Bilko will not be attending Gossip Girl. He'll be too busy losing his money to me
I would vote for Tuesday. Tuesday is usually the day where all TV sucks other than House which is only on in the Spring.

If you live within walking distance (or have a dependable chaffeur buddy) of the law school, you'll be fine. There's UVA buses, Charlottesville buses, taxis, and getting rides from friends.
so if i'm living in the Woodlands and can get a shuttle to the law school area, there's stuff there that can take me into shopping areas, bars, etc?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon May 05, 2008 6:39 pm

gladiator wrote:
greygoose wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3382644

^

Neither of us will have a car.
whew!

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Mon May 05, 2008 6:39 pm

I can offer rides in my mommymobile CR-V on a "who buys my beer?" basis :P

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon May 05, 2008 6:42 pm

Wellsfargowagon wrote:I can offer rides in my mommymobile CR-V on a "who buys my beer?" basis :P
it's too bad we know each other now, because i could make some great innuendo about that.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon May 05, 2008 6:43 pm

nipplehead wrote:
gladiator wrote:

so if i'm living in the Woodlands and can get a shuttle to the law school area, there's stuff there that can take me into shopping areas, bars, etc?

yup, plus I'll have my car . . . it's only a 2 seater, but it gets the job done.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon May 05, 2008 6:44 pm

As long as you're willing to do your shopping at Barracks which is a short walk from the law school. Bars you'd probably want to get a ride or taxi....or take the shuttle to central grounds and walk to the Corner.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon May 05, 2008 6:45 pm

gladiator wrote:
House is on on Monday.

Either strip poker is out or it's only gonna be the guys if it's on Monday night. :)

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Mon May 05, 2008 6:48 pm

gladiator wrote:
As long as you're willing to do your shopping at Barracks which is a short walk from the law school. Bars you'd probably want to get a ride or taxi....or take the shuttle to central grounds and walk to the Corner.
i see. so who else is going to be car-less? or am i the only poor sap?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon May 05, 2008 6:55 pm

nipplehead wrote:
gladiator wrote:
i see. so who else is going to be car-less? or am i the only poor sap?
Ubuntu and I are carless, not sure about others....but both of us are living next to the law school/Barracks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”