University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
J-Rod

Silver

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by J-Rod » Mon May 26, 2008 11:38 am

bamabreeze wrote:Oh my goodness, J-Rod, look what you started, it is like 3 am and here I am watching more of this crazy man's videos on YouTube!!! But he is hilarious, so it is sort of okay...

Here is another good one: Range Rover vs. Cadillac Escalahhhde vs. Hummer H2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06jmReDe ... re=related

Top Gear is "teh awesome"!!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon May 26, 2008 2:03 pm

Did we ever get to a consensus about the bundles? I'm still not sure whether to get the Mac or the Dell. I've been a PC person most of my life but Vista seems to be getting bad reviews. Any thoughts on which one to get between the two?

rayallen20

New

Post by rayallen20 » Mon May 26, 2008 2:07 pm

Cantwait, I just bought a new 08 Civic and it is AMAZING on gas. I drove from NY to VA (550 miles) and only had to stop for gas once. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's buying a new car with a limited budget. The car itself is not very expensive (I got a good deal) and it saves you $$$ in the long run on gas (we'll have a 10-15 minute drive every morning from Avemore, so we'll be using more gas than most people).

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon May 26, 2008 2:08 pm

Last edited by cantwaitforuva on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Mon May 26, 2008 2:31 pm

gladiator wrote:Did we ever get to a consensus about the bundles? I'm still not sure whether to get the Mac or the Dell. I've been a PC person most of my life but Vista seems to be getting bad reviews. Any thoughts on which one to get between the two?
Get a Mac, you won't regret it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon May 26, 2008 3:06 pm

sialeeds wrote:
gladiator wrote:Did we ever get to a consensus about the bundles? I'm still not sure whether to get the Mac or the Dell. I've been a PC person most of my life but Vista seems to be getting bad reviews. Any thoughts on which one to get between the two?
I think I'm going to stick with Dell. If it was just ugrad, I would probably switch to a Mac, but I don't want to have to learn a new system during 1L.

At lot of the problems with Vista have been worked out. I haven't had any problems with mine.

rayallen20

New

Post by rayallen20 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:14 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
rayallen20 wrote:Cantwait, I just bought a new 08 Civic and it is AMAZING on gas. I drove from NY to VA (550 miles) and only had to stop for gas once. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's buying a new car with a limited budget. The car itself is not very expensive (I got a good deal) and it saves you $$$ in the long run on gas (we'll have a 10-15 minute drive every morning from Avemore, so we'll be using more gas than most people).
Thanks, I'll definitely look into that. At least we can carpool so that will cut down on gas costs, too.
Good idea

rayallen20

New

Post by rayallen20 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:21 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
sialeeds wrote:
I think I'm going to stick with Dell. If it was just ugrad, I would probably switch to a Mac, but I don't want to have to learn a new system during 1L.

At lot of the problems with Vista have been worked out. I haven't had any problems with mine.
I feel like I am in the minority because I do not plan on buying a new computer. My laptop is only a year and a half old. It's wireless-ready and has shown no signs of slowing down. It has Windows XP. I've tried Vista and absolutely hate it. Also, I'm too stubborn to even consider switching to a Mac (10 years of Windows will do that to you). I'll be backing up all of my notes to a USB hard-drive, so the only thing I have to worry about is if my computer crashes during an actual final, which is very unlikely. Is everyone who is buying a bundle in actual need of a new computer or just worried about their non-insured computer failing them during crucial times??

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon May 26, 2008 3:29 pm

Little bit of both.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rsr28

New

Post by rsr28 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:39 pm

rayallen20 wrote:Cantwait, I just bought a new 08 Civic and it is AMAZING on gas. I drove from NY to VA (550 miles) and only had to stop for gas once. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's buying a new car with a limited budget. The car itself is not very expensive (I got a good deal) and it saves you $$$ in the long run on gas (we'll have a 10-15 minute drive every morning from Avemore, so we'll be using more gas than most people).
I have an '05 Civic (I bought it new) and agree with it being awesome. Not a single thing resembling any problems in the (close to) 3 years I've owned.

Plus, I'm about to pay it all off. 8)

rayallen20

New

Post by rayallen20 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:48 pm

rsr28 wrote:
I have an '05 Civic (I bought it new) and agree with it being awesome. Not a single thing resembling any problems in the (close to) 3 years I've owned.

Plus, I'm about to pay it all off. 8)
No problems in 3 years??? If that's the case, then hopefully I won't have any real problems for my entire time in law school. Also, congrats on almost paying it off. I have 58 more payments left..... :shock:

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon May 26, 2008 3:54 pm

rayallen20 wrote:
Is everyone who is buying a bundle in actual need of a new computer or just worried about their non-insured computer failing them during crucial times??
Mainly an insurance issue for me. Plus I wanted a small computer that would be easier to lug to school. Sadly, the only options they give us are bigger than I had hoped. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Mon May 26, 2008 8:01 pm

Last edited by bamabreeze on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon May 26, 2008 8:10 pm

The Mac bundle comes with Office 2008 not 2004, not sure if 2008 is good or bad.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Mon May 26, 2008 8:13 pm

gladiator wrote:The Mac bundle comes with Office 2008 not 2004, not sure if 2008 is good or bad.
2008 is great. I didn't find 2004 buggy, but 2008 definitely runs smoother and has lots of nice extras. I bought it Thanksgiving Day when Microsoft did the 100% rebate deal, so the upgrade was free. (And I have a 6 month old MacBook; won't be replacing it for law school.)

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Mon May 26, 2008 8:14 pm

It seriously only took me a day to get used to a Mac, after using a Windows PC my whole life (well, before Windows I used DOS and OS2, but those are the old days ;)) After you take that day (or week, if you're not that great with computers) to get used to it, it's so much easier and efficient. Two years later, my Macbook still boots in 30 seconds, and I've never had a single problem other than Firefox crashing (but Camino and Safari work perfectly). I can only imagine how beautifully the new versions of the Macbook run...

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon May 26, 2008 9:13 pm

For those of you interested in your schedule for the Fall, based on my quick study of the COD from last year...

-The 5 classes for Fall semester are CivPro, Contracts, CrimLaw, Torts, and LRW.
-Most sections have Friday classes. Last year nobody had them after noon but 2 years ago they did. 2 years ago, there were no Monday classes before 10:30 AM so hopefully they extend the weekend in 1 direction or the other.
-There's usually a 2-3 hour lunch time gap.
-Most classes are 80 minutes long, some are 50, LRW is 60
-You usually have a class 3 times/week except LRW which is once a week. If it's 4 times/week, then the class is 50 minutes long.
-Since CivPro was 8:30 last year, maybe we'll get lucky and not have it first this year, apparently it's a pretty rough class to wake up to?

Sample Schedule: Section A Fall 2007: (Totals to 15.5 hours of actual class time)

Monday:
Torts 10:00-11:20
CrimLaw 14:10-15:00
Contracts 15:40-17:00

Tuesday:
CivPro 8:30-9:50

Wednesday:
LRW 13:00-14:00

Thursday:

Friday:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon May 26, 2008 11:24 pm

thanks for the heads up on the schedule . . . doesn't look too terrible

also . . . anyone using loan money to travel this summer? I'm thinkin about borrowing some monies to travel and I need it to front the money for the new laptop, some furniture, etc.?

I'm debating between being responsible, or sayin fuck it and assuming that I'll be makin $160k in three years and I can pay it off then

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue May 27, 2008 3:49 am

hi! from the last frontier!

seems i didn't miss much...congrats to all that graduated. i missed graduation (speaker was some alum of my school and a uva law grad) (seems i've encountered quite a few law alums over the past few weeks).

bye

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Tue May 27, 2008 9:19 am

I was going to see how long my old laptop would last, but the keyboard decided to stop working for 15 minutes or so this weekend (???) and there is a sliver of plastic coming off the casing on the left side of the monitor, so I think I'll go with a Dell package.

Is anyone living in Barracks West? I'm setting up a lease at a townhouse on Huntwood Lane, a little residential street next to the Barracks West apt complex. I found a great hiking & biking path through the woods between Barracks Road and UVa Park (the sports fields on the north end of campus) that will cut travel distance on foot or bicycle to a little over a mile, so I'm looking forward to walking...except on those cold winter days, when I'll beg my wife to drop me off when she takes our son to school.

CaptainDirtyBird

New

Post by CaptainDirtyBird » Tue May 27, 2008 10:08 am

J-Rod wrote:thanks for the heads up on the schedule . . . doesn't look too terrible

also . . . anyone using loan money to travel this summer? I'm thinkin about borrowing some monies to travel and I need it to front the money for the new laptop, some furniture, etc.?

I'm debating between being responsible, or sayin fuck it and assuming that I'll be makin $160k in three years and I can pay it off then
I'm toying with the same idea. Cause if we can't, I'm reminded of the immortal words of Ari Gold: Put a gun in you mouth and make sure I'm standing behind you.

Seriously though, I'm starting to come to the realization that what's an extra 5k a year to make sure I'm healthy and happy considering the much larger risk of a massive tuition bill and poor performance during school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue May 27, 2008 11:54 am

J-Rod wrote:thanks for the heads up on the schedule . . . doesn't look too terrible

Nope. I'm already taking out extra money to pay for my comparatively extravagant lifestyle in law school.

I figure I'll use money from summer work to take a little trip after 1L.

Khordis

New

Post by Khordis » Tue May 27, 2008 12:24 pm

J-Rod wrote: When you factor in the pollution created in the manufacturing of the vehicle, it is better to own an SUV and drive it 10,000 miles a year, than to purchase a Hybrid, because of the methods used to make the Hybrids are extremely poor
don't....respond....aahhh, fuck, can't help it.

that's actually not quite accurate. the CNW study that is usually cited as the basis for that claim is pretty flimsy (please sweet baby jesus don't make me go into the details), and its findings are contrary to the majority of the "dust to dust" vehicle life cycle studies.

and yes, i just spent time criticizing the methodology of a vehicle life cycle study. i need to go home, take a shower, and watch the south park episode about hybrids so i can feel clean again.
Last edited by Khordis on Tue May 27, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Tue May 27, 2008 12:31 pm

Khordis wrote:
J-Rod wrote: When you factor in the pollution created in the manufacturing of the vehicle, it is better to own an SUV and drive it 10,000 miles a year, than to purchase a Hybrid, because of the methods used to make the Hybrids are extremely poor
don't....respond....aahhh, fuck, can't help it.

that's actually not quite accurate. the CNW study that is usually cited as the basis for that claim is pretty flimsy (please sweet baby jesus don't make me go into the details), and its findings are contrary to the majority of the "dust to dust" vehicle lifecycle studies.

and yes, i just spent time criticizing the methodology of a vehicle life cycle study. i need to go home, take a shower, and watch the south park episode about hybrids so i can feel clean again.

that's right, go sniff your own farts

Khordis

New

Post by Khordis » Tue May 27, 2008 12:34 pm

i skipped my graduation, so i'm not sure who our speaker was. i just hope it wasn't supposed to be me, because that would be pretty embarrassing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”