University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
J-Rod

Silver

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by J-Rod » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:16 pm

POST 5000!!

satchelGD

New

Post by satchelGD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:23 pm

not sure if this was posted, but to answer questions about Stafford/GradPLUS loans reflecting on your bill on QuikPay...(from the QuikPay site)

A NOTE ABOUT STAFFORD, PARENT PLUS, AND GRAD PLUS LOANS
When reviewing your bill, if you are expecting to see one of the above types of loans credited to your account, you will not see the actual credit for several weeks. Therefore, we have placed a “Pending Financial Aid” or “Pending Stafford Loan” notation on your account. If you see one of these notations on your statement, please be assured that we will process your loan as soon as the bank sends the correct amounts to us. You may deduct the amount of the loan(s) from your payment (less the lender’s guaranty and origination fee if applicable).

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:25 pm

satchelGD wrote:not sure if this was posted, but to answer questions about Stafford/GradPLUS loans reflecting on your bill on QuikPay...(from the QuikPay site)

A NOTE ABOUT STAFFORD, PARENT PLUS, AND GRAD PLUS LOANS
When reviewing your bill, if you are expecting to see one of the above types of loans credited to your account, you will not see the actual credit for several weeks. Therefore, we have placed a “Pending Financial Aid” or “Pending Stafford Loan” notation on your account. If you see one of these notations on your statement, please be assured that we will process your loan as soon as the bank sends the correct amounts to us. You may deduct the amount of the loan(s) from your payment (less the lender’s guaranty and origination fee if applicable).
So does the lender cut a check to the school, and then the school takes its share, and gives us the rest?

Or does the lender write a check to the school, and one to us?

satchelGD

New

Post by satchelGD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:27 pm

i think that varies by lender, however i think the majority cut one check to the school, who then takes their cut and distributes what remains to the student.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:33 pm

satchelGD wrote:i think that varies by lender, however i think the majority cut one check to the school, who then takes their cut and distributes what remains to the student.

sweet, i'll be super poor till the end of august then! yay for having to front 3-4 thousand dollars in expenses before law school even starts . . .

how can the law school require us to pay for books, a laptop, moving expenses, living expenses, etc. all before we even get our loan money that they recommended to us to use for these things?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

satchelGD

New

Post by satchelGD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:36 pm

J-Rod wrote:
satchelGD wrote:i think that varies by lender, however i think the majority cut one check to the school, who then takes their cut and distributes what remains to the student.

sweet, i'll be super poor till the end of august then! yay for having to front 3-4 thousand dollars in expenses before law school even starts . . .

how can the law school require us to pay for books, a laptop, moving expenses, living expenses, etc. all before we even get our loan money that they recommended to us to use for these things?
the only thing it REALLY confuses me about is for the people who flat out cannot afford a new laptop, or books, or rent without their loan checks. what are they supposed to do?

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:41 pm

satchelGD wrote:
J-Rod wrote:

the only thing it REALLY confuses me about is for the people who flat out cannot afford a new laptop, or books, or rent without their loan checks. what are they supposed to do?
ding ding ding! that's the problem . . . I should be able to get buy . . . barely, but still, I know there will be people who probably can't, and that sucks

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:30 pm

Could be worse. My ugrad didn't cut refund checks until after fall/spring breaks. Meaning that if you planned on living off the excess student loan money, you had to provide for yourself for over half the semester before that extra loan money got to your hands.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:33 pm

wesleybs wrote:Could be worse. My ugrad didn't cut refund checks until after fall/spring breaks. Meaning that if you planned on living off the excess student loan money, you had to provide for yourself for over half the semester before that extra loan money got to your hands.

damn, that would suck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:02 pm

Khordis and I moved in this Am, and by moved in I mean left boxes and un put together furniture in the house until they turn electric on on Monday. So back to DC.

When I get down next week though, I'll hityou up Rudy.

rayallen20

New

Post by rayallen20 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:09 pm

Yea, all the extra cash that I've earned working on summers/breaks is all going towards rent/utilities/food until I get my loan check. It sucks :x

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:24 pm

wesleybs wrote:Could be worse. My ugrad didn't cut refund checks until after fall/spring breaks. Meaning that if you planned on living off the excess student loan money, you had to provide for yourself for over half the semester before that extra loan money got to your hands.
Mine did too... but I don't think it was half the semester. They wouldn't issue refunds until after the final "withdraw without record" date, because in the past students would get their refunds before the drop date to avoid a W on their transcript, then fall below a full load but have received aid as if they were taking more credits.

MochaLaw

New

Post by MochaLaw » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:56 pm

Ok, really late replies to things because I don't check here enough.
SgtBilko wrote:Before UG here in DC I went to a prep school in CT (think dead poets society and outside providence).
High five for Connecticut prep schools. Where did you go?
cantwaitforuva wrote:Anybody else starting to get really nervous about school?
Yes. Reading makes me sleepy. It's bad.
SgtBilko wrote:Just watch the MANtage. It'll be fine.
It's true. This is MochaLaw fighting a bear while taking the bar exam at night. :|

And yeah, I'm freaking out about loan stuff. Nothing about my scholarship or Stafford loans is up, but under the admissions "My Status" page it looked like everything was all sorted. I guess I'll just wait as long as I can.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:03 am

satchelGD wrote: the only thing it REALLY confuses me about is for the people who flat out cannot afford a new laptop, or books, or rent without their loan checks. what are they supposed to do?
I think we have four options: Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express. Prostitution may also be acceptable in some situations.

I'm seriously terrified of my next Discover bill (health insurance, laptop, moving truck...)

ouva

New

Post by ouva » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:37 pm

Hey guys!

I've been creeping this board for a couple of weeks and finally decided to post.

Re: expenses - right now I am completely living off my visa and my parents' good grace until my loans come in... and it sucks. I know I'll have the money to pay off my credit card debt once the loans come in (most of it is school expenses - i.e. my laptop), but it still worries me to carry such a high balance. All i know is it will feel pretty damn good to get that loan money in my hands.

I move into Ivy on Aug 3rd... and I have a couple questions for all of those living in Ivy...

1. I called NTC internet and talked to them about billing, and it seems that each room gets billed separately ($25.99/mo). Has anyone tried using a wireless router and only having one room hooked up? I have a router already, and am thinking it would make sense for either just me or just my roommate to get the internet and then share the cost and the wireless.

2. In the lease it mentioned mandatory renter's insurance... is that really mandatory? my lease started already and I haven't gotten any yet. I figured that that is something that would be up to the tenant, but it is mentioned in the lease... so I'm not sure.

Can't wait to meet you all in the next month!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:02 pm

ouva wrote:Hey guys!

I've been creeping this board for a couple of weeks and finally decided to post.

Re: expenses - right now I am completely living off my visa and my parents' good grace until my loans come in... and it sucks. I know I'll have the money to pay off my credit card debt once the loans come in (most of it is school expenses - i.e. my laptop), but it still worries me to carry such a high balance. All i know is it will feel pretty damn good to get that loan money in my hands.

I move into Ivy on Aug 3rd... and I have a couple questions for all of those living in Ivy...

1. I called NTC internet and talked to them about billing, and it seems that each room gets billed separately ($25.99/mo). Has anyone tried using a wireless router and only having one room hooked up? I have a router already, and am thinking it would make sense for either just me or just my roommate to get the internet and then share the cost and the wireless.

2. In the lease it mentioned mandatory renter's insurance... is that really mandatory? my lease started already and I haven't gotten any yet. I figured that that is something that would be up to the tenant, but it is mentioned in the lease... so I'm not sure.

Can't wait to meet you all in the next month!
as for 1) my roommate is taking care of that, so not sure about the details. i'd think it's possible to do the wireless thing.

2) didn't see that before, i'm asking current/soon to be tenants. i'll call pam probably this week if i still don't understand it. i'll post whatever response i get back from the peoples or pam.

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:19 pm

Renter's insurance is extremely cheap. My wife and I have coverage at our current house and it is only $50 a year. After rent and utilities, that's negligible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gooner

New

Post by Gooner » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:52 pm

Are any other Mac users having trouble getting into QuikPay? I'm using Firefox and whenever I click the link after logging into ISIS, the window I'm browsing in closes.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:53 pm

wes, which place did you get insurance from? i did a brief search and it's about 100/year from state farm

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:29 pm

Farm Bureau, but its in NC. It may cost more in VA. It also depends on how much coverage you want.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:42 pm

Gooner wrote:Are any other Mac users having trouble getting into QuikPay? I'm using Firefox and whenever I click the link after logging into ISIS, the window I'm browsing in closes.
You have to set up your browser to allow pop-ups from virginia.edu.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:59 pm

any guidelines to getting laptops? i'm not going the way of the school-offered deals, because those things are expensive as hell. i figure if it's a new laptop, it probably is up to date and has all the shit i need, yes?

ouva

New

Post by ouva » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:08 pm

nipplehead wrote:any guidelines to getting laptops? i'm not going the way of the school-offered deals, because those things are expensive as hell. i figure if it's a new laptop, it probably is up to date and has all the shit i need, yes?
As far as hardware goes, pretty much any up-to-date laptop should do it. For software, there is a lot of stuff available here http://www.itc.virginia.edu/central/, which would come installed in any of the school computers but you will have to get on your own.

I think the biggest thing that you'll be missing out on by getting a different computer is the tech support/opportunity to get a loaner. I'm doing it just because I don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to fix stuff on my own or send my computer away, but other than that I think you should be fine.

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:28 pm

nipplehead wrote:any guidelines to getting laptops? i'm not going the way of the school-offered deals, because those things are expensive as hell. i figure if it's a new laptop, it probably is up to date and has all the shit i need, yes?
Any new laptop should be fine, as long as you buy the right software too.

I'm getting the bundle just because of the tech support and the loaner computers. Yeah, it's more expensive, but to me it's worth it not to have any computer headaches over the next three years. School is already gonna be expensive as hell...I'm not really worried about the extra money spent on the computer. Just my line of reasoning though.

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:43 pm

The only thing I recommend in terms of a new laptop is getting 2gigs of memory. With vista or leopard 1gig is really a stretch. Also, get the extended warranty. While its expensive, it pays for itself with one repair.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”