University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Khordis

New

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Post by Khordis » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:24 am

triadolpho wrote:
One-on-one drunken softball? We'll figure out some way to make it work.
oh yeah...i meant to say something like "you're on" or "let's dance" to that.

Khordis

New

Post by Khordis » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 am

sialeeds wrote:J-Rod, House is my legitimate favorite show on TV. Along with South Park :)
i'm sorry, but i just checked facebook, and it says differently. i just...don't know what to believe anymore.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:30 am

Khordis wrote:
sialeeds wrote:J-Rod, House is my legitimate favorite show on TV. Along with South Park :)
i'm sorry, but i just checked facebook, and it says differently. i just...don't know what to believe anymore.
Sia= PWNED!

The Agitator

Bronze

Post by The Agitator » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:37 am

Well, from reviewing this thread it looks like it has been hijacked beyond belief from its original intent, but it's good to see that everyone is getting to know each other through pointless banter.

I'll post anyway:

1. Some info about yourself
Where I'm at in my life, and where I hope a roommate would be: Mid-20's, couple years out of school. Really excited about UVA for the social scene - I like to drink and have a good time. That having been said, I'm past the point in my life where I think just getting trashed is interesting in itself. I don't judge the coolness of a party by the number of kegs anymore. So ideally a roommate would be someone who would share my love of Sam Adams Seasonal brews and unwinding in a bar, but who wouldn't feel the need to brag about how many bongs they took the night before, and wouldn't think the appropriate furnishing for our apartment includes Bud Light posters or alcohol-themed decorative lighting.

2. How many roommates you're looking for
I generally prefer to live with people rather than alone, but that having been said, I was going to live alone, since I personally know no one going to UVA and have never before lived with a stranger. However, I wouldn't be averse to living with like 2 or 3 people if it could work out, so if anyone here reads this and is like-minded, PM me.

3. What apartment complexes you are looking at
Going down to look at places this weekend, hopefully.

4. Whether you want to live in walking distance, or don't mind driving.
I'll have a car, but it may be on its last legs. If it breaks down and requires major repairs, it's getting scrapped. So, I don't want to live so far away that if this happens, I can't bike it to school. (So no further than 2-3 miles or so?)

5. Smoking preference
I smoke about a pack per week, and only when I drink, and even so I'm actively trying to quit. I respect my current roommate's request that I don't smoke 99% of the time. I don't smoke during the week nor when we are pre-gaming or something in the apartment, though I may occasionally sneak one in after coming home from a late night out. (My inhibitions get weak when I'm at >10 beers, and we don't have a patio/balcony for me to smoke on.)

Long story short: if you're the type of militant non-smoker for whom finding one cigarette butt in the apartment every two weeks is a major deal-breaker, it is best we not live together. If we can move past the issue (if it happens) by you calling me an asshole, and me apologizing and spraying some Febreeze around in the morning, I think we could make a good team.

6. Anything else you might think is useful.
-I'll be bringing down two or three guitars with me.
-I have a lot of books.
-I like ridiculous, ridiculous comedy, such as Mr. Show or Kids in the Hall.
-I exclusively watch the following television stations and no others: Comedy Central, National Geographic, History Channel, Discovery Channel, Telemundo and Univision.
-I'm generally a neat person and don't need a roommate who is neat but I expect them to not be a slob.
- City boy by nature.
- I'm not passive aggressive - if there's a problem I'll bring it up directly with a person, though not in an asshole way or anything.
- My only real pet peeve with living with someone is if they wake me up at night by yelling or something. I usually can't fall back to sleep, and this infuriates me. Other than that, you would have to do something really bad to make me angry.
- I'm big on working out and will be hitting up the gym consistently.
- I'm highly, highly allergic to cats.
- I'm somewhat allergic to some types of dogs, but I love them so I would put up with occasional stuffiness.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:09 pm

SgtBilko wrote:
Khordis wrote:
Sia= PWNED!
Because facebook is the be-all-end-all? I go through spurts of adding and deleting stuff all the time... I had nothing on my profile for a good month or so, until I added the UVA facebook group and realized that I might look a little weird with nothing ;)

I will watch Gossip Girls on monday nights instead of House, but that's only because it's super easy to download episodes of House here (I go to Hopkins... kids here make it their business to get the torrent fast and post it online). Gossip Girl? There's not as large of a market here (sadly). And I happen to own seasons 1-9 of South Park (actually, seasons 1-3 of House for that matter), so I don't want to hear it!

EDIT: The only 100% reliable "favorites" section on my profile is books. Because books trump everything else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:42 pm

aguyingeorgia wrote:Smallville? :?

*slowly backs out of the room*
haha, i'm a huge smallville fan too!

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:52 pm

And Wes (the one who isn't living with Jeff), what are you doing for housing? Bun B and myself are looking for a third roommate at The Woodlands

Khordis

New

Post by Khordis » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:04 pm

still trying to decide whether the awesome set up at the woodlands is worth having to drive. the thought of being able to just open my front door, lie down, and roll to class is tremendously inviting, even if the accommodations are somewhat lackluster at ivy and the other walking distance places.

triadolpho

New

Post by triadolpho » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:07 pm

open my front door, lie down, and roll to class
Good plan...there's that nice hill leading from Ivy down to the road and everything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

triadolpho

New

Post by triadolpho » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:12 pm

and wouldn't think the appropriate furnishing for our apartment includes Bud Light posters or alcohol-themed decorative lighting.
--ImageRemoved--

The real question--is that kind of thing ever appropriate...even in college?

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:14 pm

so you're saying i should leave mine at home? :oops:

The Agitator

Bronze

Post by The Agitator » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:26 pm

still trying to decide whether the awesome set up at the woodlands is worth having to drive.
I stayed with a student host at that place. It is fucking ridiculous. It might be too nice; I don't know if I would get work done if I had three pools, a gym, and a movie room at my disposal. Considering the rent, it is even crazier.

The drive to campus wasn't bad at all, so if you have consistent access to a car, it shouldn't be a hassle. I don't think I'm going to look at that place, because I'm bringing down a junker, and if it breaks down and I don't have a car it will be a real issue. But as far as the short drive to and back, it shouldn't effect you greatly.
The real question--is that kind of thing ever appropriate...even in college?
I look at my past and ask myself that very question sometimes.....

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:28 pm

the woodlands offers a free shuttle service to the law school, med school, business school, etc. In the mornings it runs on a schedule, and after 12:00pm, it's an on-call service. And there is always car-pooling

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:30 pm

ubuntu wrote:so you're saying i should leave mine at home? :oops:
Yes

The Agitator

Bronze

Post by The Agitator » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:34 pm

the woodlands offers a free shuttle service to the law school, med school, business school, etc. In the mornings it runs on a schedule, and after 12:00pm, it's an on-call service. And there is always car-pooling
Well, that changes everything....if anyone at the Woodlands needs a roommate and can put up with my eccentricities as outlined in my post holla in a PM....

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:39 pm

I wish I could live at the Woodlands :( . Darn floorplans.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:52 pm

Has anybody looked at Stone Creek?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Chigurh

New

Post by Chigurh » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:44 pm

anyone looking for a roomate in ivy? i am male, 22. Will be a hard worker but also def consider myself laid back. keep the place clean but far from a neat freak. When not studying or doing other school stuff, I like to work out and get outside, cook good food, play video games, listen to loud music, and go out, check out the scene and see live music as often as possible. I am a light smoker, but cigarettes always stay outside. Other than that, I try to be respectful and compatible, so shoot me an email and we can talk more: jordanscottfox@yahoo.com

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:45 pm

Where has everyone been lately? :(

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:07 pm

just got my new notebook so updating/transferring info (will take a few days). procrastinating on numerous things, getting ready for a bbq this weekend, etc. i think everyone is wrapping up school stuff or just enjoying what's left of our senior year. even though holly isn't interested, i'm looking forward to the end of year concert in a 2 weeks.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:23 am

my thesis is due this week . . . also have another essay due this week . . . I worked 5 days last week, work 5 more this week . . .

Racing season is about to start too! So I gotta prep for that

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:24 am

My love to the UVA peeps. Much love!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:50 am

sialeeds wrote:Where has everyone been lately? :(
Last full week of school = tons of work.

normalien

New

Post by normalien » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:40 am

cantwaitforuva wrote:Has anybody looked at Stone Creek?
I looked at it last weekend, very nice, in the Woodlands price range, but very, very remote. If you're looking for solitude, that's your spot. Great views of a mountain/hill with trees though.

Waterman47

Bronze

Post by Waterman47 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 am

Has anybody looked at Stone Creek?
I checked this place out, and it's pretty gorgeous. The mountainous backdrop is amazing, as is the never-ending pool and the stone facades of the buildings. It is a bit out of the way, but it's very close to I-64, so the commute is actually about the same as Carriage Hill and Avemore, at least according to my Google Maps. The kitchen and bathroom of the unit I saw were very, very nice, as was the amazing view of the mountains from the patio. Unfortunately, a few of the buildings face each other, so the patio/window views are of another person's window and patio, rather than mountains and trees. This would be a borderline dealbreaker for me, as some face-to-face units are about 20 yards away from each other, basically preventing you from using your patio with any sort of privacy- or even your living room with the blinds open for that matter.

For me, Stone Creek is pretty close to ideal, assuming I could get a room with a view. I like that it's a bit secluded, since I've always been big on serenity, and I've also always liked my apartment to be sort of far from campus. This separation keeps the stress of school away from home, at least in my case. I also LOVED the stone look of the place. It contrasts the green surroundings very nicely.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”