University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
MissVirginia

Bronze

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by MissVirginia » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:53 am

TheSnake wrote:To Vamel:

Life.

Get one.
To the Snake:

[insert snarky remark about the appropriateness of your username here :D ]
shadowfish wrote:Did anyone else find it disturbing/irresponsible that the UVa law students participating in Feb Club ok'd their classmates' posting pictures of them appearing drunk and half-naked on a blog? Doesn't that bode pretty poorly for someone's professional future? Especially with all of the fuss about employers checking on applicants through Facebook/Myspace/search engines, I would think people would be more cautious.
Yes.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:25 am

was surprised to discover that a colleague of mine at a top law school could find this an appropriate thing to share.
Are you delusional? even at UVA, I will bet you any amount of money that I will run into another student who will make far more inappropriate comments (directed at me or a friend).

However, I kind of see what you're saying, but all the hypothetical "could" penalties someone who makes these types of comments might suffer won't likely deter anyone. As for "getting the joke" contributing to what makes UVA special (I don't believe any of us ever argued this point).

The Feb Club pictures are far more disturbing than what is said on this forum. If you choose to participate and have your picture there (look carefully at the captions for each party - lot of derogatory and sexist language).

Overall, I don't agree that this humor is insensitive (in the context of the internet and posters background), but it is sophomoric. For J-Rod's transgressions, I'll post a new avatar to counterbalance all the sexist negativity in this thread.

I guess, bring this thread back to shows like Entourage, Lost, and Gossip Girl (all shows that somehow accentuate the positive qualities of the American culture (drugs, alcohol, lacks of morals, etc.)

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:14 am

ahh . . . well, I digress. I wrote out another lengthy response, but have now removed it.

Vamel, you see this thread as a professional environment, and one that you feel future employers will be looking at to determine whether or not we're qualified applicants in our personal lives for their firms. You see this thread as one that reflects on UVA as an institution.

The rest of us . . . don't. That is where the discrepancy lies. You are not arguing that I am a sexist, and I am not arguing that you're too PC. We merely have completely different views as to the functionality of this thread.

Because of this, I stand by my position that you initially took these photos out of context. They were posted to lighten the mood of a brief discussion on sexism, and to mock people who actually feel and act in a manner that is representative of those pictures. I even removed them in the hopes of ending this conversation.

Also, did everyone get their second deposits postmarked by today?!

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:53 am

yea i sent mine out last week after a self-induced "i'm-not-on-top-of-this" panic session.

i'm not on top of this. i feel like i'm going to blink and it'll be orientation time.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:57 am

ubuntu wrote:yea i sent mine out last week after a self-induced "i'm-not-on-top-of-this" panic session.

i'm not on top of this. i feel like i'm going to blink and it'll be orientation time.

it'll be here sooner than we all think . . . but just think, then you'll get to hang out with sexists like me!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:00 pm

J-Rod wrote:
ubuntu wrote:yea i sent mine out last week after a self-induced "i'm-not-on-top-of-this" panic session.

it'll be here sooner than we all think . . . but just think, then you'll get to hang out with sexists like me!

aaahahahahaha i can't wait!!

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:43 pm

did you all just send your transcripts to

University of Virginia Law
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903-1738

???

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:45 pm

nipplehead wrote:did you all just send your transcripts to

University of Virginia Law
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903-1738

???
Maybe address to the Office of Admissions?

I haven't sent mine, because my school doesn't have them completed yet!!!

CaptainDirtyBird

New

Post by CaptainDirtyBird » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:20 pm

I'm having a ridiculously shitty/long day. I'm sending a check tomorrow b/c of a bunch of shit for my #2 deposit (now thats funny) and I haven't been able to file my FAFSA because my parents won't do thier taxes. Whose going to cheer me up?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

satchelGD

New

Post by satchelGD » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:30 pm

CaptainDirtyBird wrote:I'm having a ridiculously shitty/long day. I'm sending a check tomorrow b/c of a bunch of shit for my #2 deposit (now thats funny) and I haven't been able to file my FAFSA because my parents won't do thier taxes. Whose going to cheer me up?
i'll buy you a beer if you happen to be in austin

hokiefan

New

Post by hokiefan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:14 pm

CaptainDirtyBird wrote:I'm having a ridiculously shitty/long day. I'm sending a check tomorrow b/c of a bunch of shit for my #2 deposit (now thats funny) and I haven't been able to file my FAFSA because my parents won't do thier taxes. Whose going to cheer me up?
Why do you need your parents information for FAFSA? Since you're going to grad school, I didn't think that was necessary.

shadowfish

New

Post by shadowfish » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:39 pm

I dunno if we've already discussed books in this thread, but does anyone have book suggestions for me? I like anything except for textbooks, children's books, erotic novels, investment guides, Ernest Hemingway, and fantasy. (hey, with this crowd, who knows what choice literature I'll get) I'm basically just asking you to name your favorite books, but whatever. :P

and CDB, you shouldn't need your parents' info. Which was really convenient for me. UVa thought I was really poor. :D

readinmonotone

New

Post by readinmonotone » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:02 pm

Man. That is a sick burn for Ernest Hemingway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:05 pm

shadowfish wrote:UVa thought I was really poor. :D
Is Virginia giving need based aid now?

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:06 pm

shadowfish wrote:and CDB, you shouldn't need your parents' info. Which was really convenient for me. UVa thought I was really poor. :D

exactly!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:47 pm

with a contribution level of zero = no need based aid... :wink:

OldBlue

New

Post by OldBlue » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:13 pm

a few cool books:

A Hero of Our Time
Barbarians at the Gate (nonfiction, but more interesting and with better characters than 95% of all novels I've read).
Ordinary People
100 Years of Solitude
A Civil Action (it's awesome, and is also on a lot of pre-law school - including UVA's - recommended reading lists)

I've heard good things about:

The Magnificent Ambersons (chronicles the rise and fall of an American family)
if you have the time and patience, my parents really enjoyed James Michener's stuff: Alaska, Mexico, Chesapeake, Texas

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CaptainDirtyBird

New

Post by CaptainDirtyBird » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:16 am

Hey did anyone else get a PM from vamel threatening to out them like this is the mercer thread or am I the only one?

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:32 am

CaptainDirtyBird wrote:Hey did anyone else get a PM from vamel threatening to out them like this is the mercer thread or am I the only one?
noooooo seriously??? is this seriously happening?

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:39 am

CaptainDirtyBird wrote:Hey did anyone else get a PM from vamel threatening to out them like this is the mercer thread or am I the only one?
wow, if this is true, this person is intense. sexist jokes and written threats are all forms of harassment. you would think someone who argued so fervently against these pictures would understand this.
Last edited by greygoose on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainDirtyBird

New

Post by CaptainDirtyBird » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:50 am

Yep. Like she said, she is a member of the facebook group and its not that hard to figure out who we are and she confirmed my identity in a PM. Way to make one's case, huh?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:55 am

refresh my memory, did you write anything offensive?

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:57 am

readinmonotone wrote:Man. That is a sick burn for Ernest Hemingway.
Agreed. Shadow moves from friend to foe just like that :P

This may sound vapid, but forget the goofy movies and Nick Hornby is some good summer reading to me.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:06 am

Mets fire Randolph; Peterson, Nieto also dismissed

HOORAYY!! ABOUT F-ING TIME!

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:09 am

F that. Willie got sabotaged, railroaded, and just done wrong.

I am a very unhappy Mets Fan. Check out Buster Olney's blog for more on what a piece of shit Omar Minaya and the Front office is....http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/in ... ney_buster

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”