University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Ken

Bronze

Congratulations - you will have an amazing experience

Post by Ken » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:06 am

Just wanted to extend congrats to all of those who have been accepted and are likely to be accepted at UVA. I was very drawn to UVA and would have attended UVA over Chicago (Terrible quality of life) and likely over Columbia as well. Students at both of these schools seemed quite depressed and certainly were in relation to the beaming smiles I saw on the UVA campus.

UVA offers that amazing combination of exceptional academics with a great quality of life. Only a few other schools in the top 10 come close to this (I would say close contenders are Stanford, Boalt and NYU) and for anyone considering attending UVA, your visit will likely confirm that it should be the one or one of your top choices. And if you enjoy softball, all the better.

Best,

Ken

danpass

New

Post by danpass » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:49 pm

Well, I haven't even applied and I understand this is the "accepted" thread but still would like to share some pics.

I was visiting the parental units in Scarsdale, NY this past week and decided, on a whim, to drive on down to Charlottesville and check out the school.

Everything was open and accessible. Ended up driving back the same day LOL (an 18hr day basically 8) )

Here is a slideshow you can run if you like
--LinkRemoved--

and some excerpts

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:55 pm

Danpass,
Thank you for sharing these pics! I'm not an admit either, but I still lurk on this board. I visited 2 years ago and liked it very much, but thanks for the reminder!

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:56 pm

that is one badass daytrip. seriously, you must be sick of your car.

danpass

New

Post by danpass » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:24 pm

gmail:

that is one badass daytrip. seriously, you must be sick of your car.

I was using Dad's baby, the 1988 560SL. That thing has some power --ImageRemoved-- !

It was kind of a fun drive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:48 pm

Wow, Dan, thanks for sharing the photos! The slideshow was well worth a look. As much as downtown Charlottesville and the law school grounds are both gorgeous, you should consider visiting when there are more folks around. One of the biggest draws of the school and surrounding city is the multitude of happy people.

Having made the drive between NY, DC, and C-ville several times myself, your endurance deserves kudos. That's a hell of a trip to make in one day (particularly the C-ville <-> DC leg). It was worth it though, right?

sockpuppet

Bronze

Post by sockpuppet » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:53 pm

Last edited by sockpuppet on Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danpass

New

Post by danpass » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:14 pm

Wellsfargowagon Posted:

Wow, Dan, thanks for sharing the photos! The slideshow was well worth a look. As much as downtown Charlottesville and the law school grounds are both gorgeous, you should consider visiting when there are more folks around. One of the biggest draws of the school and surrounding city is the multitude of happy people.

Having made the drive between NY, DC, and C-ville several times myself, your endurance deserves kudos. That's a hell of a trip to make in one day (particularly the C-ville <-> DC leg). It was worth it though, right?

Being the Christmas break and all, I half expected everything to be locked up. I figured I would just tour the grounds, check out the main campus and then the town.

Nice to see it was all open LOL.

I’ve done a number of 12, 14, 18 hr drives so 7hrs one way was like a trip to the corner store (ok …… sorta)

The drive on 29 was a bit ‘blah’ yet picturesque and 495 made up some time (it was basically empty on the way back).

I live in Miami, FL and had gone to the UVA website many times, looking at the pics and watching the video tour but I knew that would not come close to actually being there. Visiting the parents was the opportunity to drive in.

It was definitely worth it.

Even though I have no real interest in NYU or Harvard I should have gone to those places as well. :D

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:04 pm

Glad you enjoyed the visit.
I’ve done a number of 12, 14, 18 hr drives so 7hrs one way was like a trip to the corner store (ok …… sorta)
I hear ya there. My mom's one condition for letting me take my high school car to college: no plane tickets to or from school between trimesters. I must have made dozens of 14+ hour drives between Minnesota and Arkansas (sometimes in the snow!). Didn't end there either. On graduation day, I started a three-day drive from Minnesota to DC, and a few months ago, I drove from Texas to California.

My car and I have gotten to know each other very well over the years. Though it sounds like yours could whoop my Honda's ass :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:43 am

I visited the school last summer and it is absolutely gorgeous. Everyone I have talked to raves about the academic aspects of the school, as well as the social. I have honestly heard nothing bad about the place at all!!! I would love to go there! And I wasn't an auto-ding so far in RD so I might have a shot!

viv

New

Post by viv » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:05 pm

Thanks for sharing those photos, danpass.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:08 pm

Great information; this thread just reaffirms my desire to attend UVA! Now if I could only find that admissions letter waiting one afternoon...

Can anyone provide information about family housing? I'm married with 2 little 'uns (one is only a bun at this point, but the oven won't be on for much longer), but I would appreciate being able to live close to campus and operate with a single vehicle.
On graduation day, I started a three-day drive from Minnesota to DC, and a few months ago, I drove from Texas to California.
At least you got to do the driving! I worked as a canoe guide and living history staffer at a Boy Scout base in northern Minnesota and got to take a Greyhound to and from south Florida...
Last edited by OnceLost on Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:24 pm

Can anyone provide information about family housing? I'm married with 2 little 'uns (one is only a bun at this point, but the oven won't be on for much longer), but I would appreciate being able to live close to campus and operate with a single vehicle.
Congratulations on the soon-to-be newborn! The University offers family housing in the Copeley complex, which is about as close to campus as one can get:

http://www.virginia.edu/housing/options ... ype=family

Its offerings include apartments with one, two, or three bedrooms. The University Gardens are a little farther away (across from Highway 29, I think) and do not offer three bedroom leases:

http://www.virginia.edu/housing/options ... ype=family

Otherwise, the nearby Ivy Gardens have 1 and 2 bedroom apartments that are slightly pricier and a little farther away from the law school grounds than Copeley but still closer than the U Gardens. You should also check out Huntington Village if you don't mind adding 5 minutes to your walk - they are townhomes instead of apartments, giving the advantages of a more home-like feel and less neighbor noise.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:44 pm

Thanks, Wellsfargowagon!

One of the things that really impressed me about UVA was the amount of helpful information on their website. My wife and I followed a couple of links and looked at some of the floor plans at Copely and Ivy, but this was the first I've heard of Huntington Village. I don't mind a little extra walking!

gladiator

Silver

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by gladiator » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:46 am

Just accepted today, pretty good chance I'll be attending but we'll see how the next few months go.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:33 am

You guys get to watch a 3-4 college defense at work! A very rare thing...

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:21 pm

congrats gladiator! i'll be viewing this site once a while to update those committed to attending. i'm too lazy to keep track of those accepted and considering :o

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rsr28

New

Post by rsr28 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:17 pm

Everything pretty much seems to fall into place for me & Virginia. Weather, academics, location. I can't see anything that would get me to go to Duke/Michigan/Texas/NYU over UVA. Other than money, of course...

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:28 am

Count me in.

Probity

New

Post by Probity » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:40 am

underdawg wrote:You guys get to watch a 3-4 college defense at work! A very rare thing...
Too bad Chris Long is already gone. Would have liked to watch him play.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:02 pm

MarkTwain I assume that mean you're attending :D

congrats, hope you brought your A game in softball...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:56 pm

Yeah. I'll be attending. As for softball... why do I keep hearing about softball whenever I talk about UVA? Hahahaha.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:16 pm

it occupies the first month of classes, where "we" play and drink too much.

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:02 pm

I quit drinking about a year ago. Perhaps this will help my class rank if I use the spare time to study more, but I fear it will kill my networking =/

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Self-tars. Now. How else will we ID each other at ASW?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”