University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
hokiefan

New

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by hokiefan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:15 pm

bamabreeze wrote:
IvyGardenHero wrote: I'm hoping our class can up the ante when it comes to pre-game festivities.
Agreed. We've got the Foxfield Races, which beats pretty much anything any other school could offer, but when it comes to tailgating at football games, it'd be nice to give the SEC some competition. I've heard (disparaging comments) about how proper UVA football attire includes ties and sundresses - honestly, I really, really hope that is true.
You really hope that people wear ties and sundresses? I doubt that there's any chance that UVA could give the SEC any competition when it comes to football, the SEC really defines what college football ought to be.

IvyGardenHero

New

Post by IvyGardenHero » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:55 pm

Thanks guys for actually responding to a first time poster, rare in any forum.

Glad to see most people are heading back to C'Ville relatively early. Good sign of a good class.

And regarding sundresses and ties, it sounds much cooler than it really is. The reality: When it comes November and (hopefully) UVA is actually for up for a better bowl than the Continental Tire Bowl, you want to see everyone in Orange or some sort of fanware as opposed to sporting the sea of plaid and pastel.

When you see the pastel you just know it's going to be another 7-4 season... disheartening to all true fans.

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:03 am

SteelersandGators wrote:It's actually a cruise. It leaves out of Italy and I'm heading to Sicily, Greece, Croatia, Turkey, and Malta (yes I know it's random). Before the cruise, I'll have a couple days in Rome and then on the back end another few days in Rome. I'm gonna try to use the back end to go down to Naples and Pompei.
sounds awesome. let us know how it goes.
Which arrondisment did you stay in in Paris?
does that mean some kind of lodging? i stayed in the Hilton right by the Eiffel Tower. it was pretty nice.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:15 am

I'm envious, SteelersandGators! Cruises rock, but I'm heavily influenced by unlimited high-quality food. I've only gone on two (both Caribbean), but dinner for my first night out on the first one was prime rib - an all time favorite of mine. I ate three.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:32 am

nipplehead wrote:
Which arrondisment did you stay in in Paris?
does that mean some kind of lodging? i stayed in the Hilton right by the Eiffel Tower. it was pretty nice.
It's the neighborhood. If you were near the Eiffel Tower then you were in the 15e. Just wondering if you were near my old stomping grounds, but alas, no.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:35 am

IvyGardenHero wrote:Thanks guys for actually responding to a first time poster, rare in any forum.

Glad to see most people are heading back to C'Ville relatively early. Good sign of a good class.
So tell us a bit about yourself. Where are you from, when are you moving in, etc.

Khordis

New

Post by Khordis » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:13 pm

OnceLost wrote:I'm drifting along as a not-so-awesome TLSer, but I'll be using these early August get-togethers to screen for potential babysitters. Please note that these screenings may involve simulated lightsaber combet skills tests...
when i moved out of my house this past weekend, i made sure to keep a pool noodle and a dowel rod-like pool vacuum handle. i'll try my best not to curse when i get beaten by a 4-year-old.

brittanyg

New

Post by brittanyg » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:22 pm

Just got accepted last week and am very excited. I am visiting tomorrow. Is there anything specific I should ask or look for. Does anyone know anything about housing etc. I am also wondering about the football attire. Do guys wear ties and gals sundresses? I look awesome in a sundress. I'm used to wearing just about anything as long as it's orange and blue.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:37 pm

brittanyg wrote:Just got accepted last week and am very excited. I am visiting tomorrow. Is there anything specific I should ask or look for. Does anyone know anything about housing etc. I am also wondering about the football attire. Do guys wear ties and gals sundresses? I look awesome in a sundress. I'm used to wearing just about anything as long as it's orange and blue.
Congrats!! Nothing special to look for while visiting - just wander around the school.

What are you looking for in terms of housing? Do you want roommates or a place of your own? Do you have pets? How many bedrooms/bathrooms? Do you want an office/den? Do you want to be walking or driving distance? What amenities are most important to you? Price range? - We're a pretty informative group in terms of housing but we need some info!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brittanyg

New

Post by brittanyg » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:50 pm

I am interested in housing close to the school. I'm a very late sleeper. How about the cost of housing. How much?

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:55 pm

Welcome to the crowd, brittanyg! Regrettably, I don't look awesome in a sundress. Or in a tie. At least, not without a button down shirt and perhaps even pants.

I have pictures from a Barracks West 3/2 townhouse and SgtBilko was kind enough to send over additionally pictures of the apartments on Arlington Ave, so we can give you a sneak peek of those areas. Take cantwait's advice and give us some information about your priorities. Cantwait has covered three of the most important questions - price, size, and walking or driving distance, but also consider if you want to be near the party scene (apartment complexes known for their social activities) or in a quiet residential area, in an area restricted to law & grad students or in a complex that also rents to undergrads. Stuff like that.

The costs seem to depend on where you are. I'm in a 3/2.5 1300+ sqft townhouse for $1,050/mnt that's about 1.2 walking miles and 1.5 driving miles from the law school. What kinda size are you looking for?

satchelGD

New

Post by satchelGD » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:05 pm

damn, that sounds like a nice place oncelost.

...as for me, i think im gonna go the route of living in a quiet area and then just bothering people everyday in the party areas. :twisted:

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:12 pm

It's very nice, in a quiet residential neighborhood with a playground a stone's throw away for the kiddies. There are some other rentals in the area - on Huntwood Lane, if anyone is interested.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brittanyg

New

Post by brittanyg » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:20 pm

Cost is important but I have to be close. Do you need a car? What is transportation and parking like. Do law students get a pass to park during classes. I would love to be in the party area being from Gainesville but that may be too tempting. I've heard first year law can be hard. My major is in chemistry and I have never worked in a law firm so I don't know how hard It will be. I also love sporting events of all kinds. That is the problem every graduate of Florida has. (at least in the past 10 years) Although Virginia tennis is unbeatable.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:40 pm

brittanyg wrote:Cost is important but I have to be close. Do you need a car? What is transportation and parking like. Do law students get a pass to park during classes. I would love to be in the party area being from Gainesville but that may be too tempting. I've heard first year law can be hard. My major is in chemistry and I have never worked in a law firm so I don't know how hard It will be. I also love sporting events of all kinds. That is the problem every graduate of Florida has. (at least in the past 10 years) Although Virginia tennis is unbeatable.
Luckily there a quite a few options within walking distance. You'll be able to walk to get groceries and stuff, too, so a car is not absolutely necessary, and you can always bum rides from people when you need to go to target or something. There is a bus system in C-ville which is supposed to be decent, but it isn't as extensive as you might think. Law students do get parking passes, it's a lottery basis for the spots in The Park (5 min walk to school) and if you don't get one of those you park by UHall and walk (15 min) or take the campus shuttle (comes every 10 min). If you live within walking distance, you do not get a parking pass.

To give you another idea of places/costs. I'm living 15 min driving time away in a 2br/2bath. It's 1200 square feet with a big balcony. Costs $1200/month.

In terms of partying, Ivy Gardens is pretty popular. It's mainly law students, it's within walking distance, there's a pool, etc. You can get a 1br for about $800

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:46 pm

For those of you not already a member of the private TLS facebook group feel free to PM me with your full name and I'll add you.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:52 pm

University Heights is another complex you might want to consider. It's within walking distance and the apartments seem pretty decent. They also have a good selection of 1, 2, and 3 bedrooms with and without dens. My problem was that they were all a little small for the family, but if you lack a spouse and two kids than that won't be a concern.

There is a large grocery store (Harris Teeter) about 5 mins slow walk from the law school and a Kroger a little past that in the same shopping center, so if you can walk to the law school you probably won't *need* a car. The bus routes around downtown and campus seem pretty thorough, but it's a fairly small city so the buses aren't super-extensive. I plan to do most of my law school commuting with a bicycle. There appear to be plentiful sidewalks, at least on the routes I'll need.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:52 pm

brittanyg wrote:Cost is important but I have to be close. Do you need a car? What is transportation and parking like. Do law students get a pass to park during classes. I would love to be in the party area being from Gainesville but that may be too tempting. I've heard first year law can be hard. My major is in chemistry and I have never worked in a law firm so I don't know how hard It will be. I also love sporting events of all kinds. That is the problem every graduate of Florida has. (at least in the past 10 years) Although Virginia tennis is unbeatable.
Are you a fellow Gator?!?!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:53 pm

brittanyg wrote:Just got accepted last week and am very excited. I am visiting tomorrow. Is there anything specific I should ask or look for. Does anyone know anything about housing etc. I am also wondering about the football attire. Do guys wear ties and gals sundresses? I look awesome in a sundress. I'm used to wearing just about anything as long as it's orange and blue.
congrats!

i'm headed to ivy gardens (it's not all that fancy, but it's decent). rent for a 1 BR is 800/month, 2BR is like 1K/month, very close to the law school so you don't need to drive there. as for football, the rumor is that it's ties/sundresses/normal attire. i'm used to the t-shirt style so it might be a change...

car is useful for normal errands, but i know a few of us aren't bringing cars and will bum rides from other students or taking the bus(es). shoot away with questions, lots of great people here with quick, informative responses.

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:58 pm

OnceLost wrote:I'm envious, SteelersandGators! Cruises rock, but I'm heavily influenced by unlimited high-quality food. I've only gone on two (both Caribbean), but dinner for my first night out on the first one was prime rib - an all time favorite of mine. I ate three.
Thanks man! I also love cruises mostly because of the food. Although the bad part is that I was really getting into great shape this summer...that's gonna take a hit once I hit the cruise ship, stop working out, and eat like a king everyday for a couple weeks.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:00 pm

There's also Barracks West. It's about a mile from school. a 1br starts at $720.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

brittanyg

New

Post by brittanyg » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:01 pm

Thanks for the info. That place sounds perfect to me. I will have to check it out. I am used to shorts and tees also. I hope UVA is as into sports as Florida, although I probably don't need the distraction. Also, are there any unsafe areas around C'ville. Gainesville did have a few but not many.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:04 pm

brittanyg wrote:Thanks for the info. That place sounds perfect to me. I will have to check it out. I am used to shorts and tees also. I hope UVA is as into sports as Florida, although I probably don't need the distraction. Also, are there any unsafe areas around C'ville. Gainesville did have a few but not many.
C-ville is pretty safe. If you live within walking distance of the law school, you won't be in any sketchy places. When I visited I saw some not so great areas, but it's not like I'd ever be walking around there.

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:05 pm

UVA is into sports, but not nearly to the level Gators take it to. I know I'll be busy, but I'm gonna try and head down to Gainesville for at least one game this year.

And our winter break is a month long, so I'll be able to make it to the National Championship game in Miami. :D

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:06 pm

I don't know what's happened to my girls (sialeeds, tkm, and ubu - where are you?), but for the ladies that were included in the dress convo a while back - I just bought that Victoria's Secret wrap dress!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”