U. of Michigan Law School '11 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Ulfrekr

Bronze

Re: U. of Michigan Law School '11

Post by Ulfrekr » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:22 am

I know it's probably too late, but can someone PM me the info we need to get football tickets in the law section? I can't find that purple sheet they sent out. If I'm not able to get season tickets, will I have a difficult time seeing any games? Also, is it too late to sign up for MAP? I'm in the middle of moving, and somehow misplaced like half of my Michigan information.

LSHope

New

Post by LSHope » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:31 pm

I posted this in the Fin Aid forum, but now I think this might be the better thread to get a response from.

I am new to this board- awesome site, BTW. I am applying next year, and I have questions about the need-based financial aid package that Michigan offers. On the Michigan site, it says that they will offer grants on a three year basis, to be adjusted if you have income changes (e.g., summer associate positions). For people who have received aid offers from Michigan, does your law school grant appear as an annual amount, or as a three year amount? Can any 2L or 3L Michigan students tell us how a summer position has affected your need-based grant- do they cut straight into your grant amount, or do they chip away at loans, or perhaps a combo?

Thanks!

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:44 pm

Check your private messages.

needaroomie

New

Post by needaroomie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:34 pm

anybody need a roommate? the closer to the quad/IM building the better.

stotan

New

Post by stotan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:42 am

do i need to be filling out paperwork or anything? i feel like i should be doing something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lothar

New

Post by Lothar » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:14 pm

hey stotan,

make sure you got your financial aid papers squared away, you may even want to double check with the financial aid office to make sure they don't need anything else.

also, you may want to check that your health insurance situation is going to be in order. and speaking of health related things, get your info to health services at Mich - check your UMich email, they may have requested info from you.

order your football season ticket if you haven't done so already and you want one. today (June 30) is the last day to order according to the website.

ummm...I can't think of anything else at this point.

-Lothar

Rayster

New

Post by Rayster » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:02 pm

Lothar wrote: also, you may want to check that your health insurance situation is going to be in order. and speaking of health related things, get your info to health services at Mich - check your UMich email, they may have requested info from you.
They havn't sent out info on the health insurance plan yet, right? Or do we need to do that independently? I was hoping for a form that said "Go to X website, put in Y plan number, name, and Soc, press Send." but have not seen one yet.

needaroomie

New

Post by needaroomie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:20 pm

would anyone currently in AA be willing to check a place out for me? it's about a 10-15 minute walk from the quad on S Ashley. i'll compensate you with a night of drinking or cash, your choice.

you'll find the same message in the facebook group, please message me on there. thanks!

waitingharvard

New

Post by waitingharvard » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:35 pm

Textbooks?

Hi guys,

Soo, I'm thinking it might make sense to buy required textbooks online in order to avoid the higher prices at a bookstore. Does anyone who is at Michigan/ is better at figuring these things out than me, want to give me a list of books I will definitely need, regardless of which section/professor I have? I would super-appreciate it!!

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:18 am

Here's the deal. You're right, it is a lot cheaper to buy textbooks online. However, as a fall-starter 1L, it's impossible to know what books you will need until you know what section you're in. You won't even know what classes you have each semester, much less which profs. This typically (always?) happens the week before orientation. So last year, I was still able to get some books online, but others that weren't available to ship right away, I had to buy in regular bookstores on/near campus.

You'll be better off winter semester in this respect.

Anyway, the fall booklist isn't out yet, even if you did know your section.

Ulfrekr

Bronze

Post by Ulfrekr » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:27 am

Does anyone know when we get our first tuition invoice?

waitingharvard

New

Post by waitingharvard » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:08 pm

But...they have a list of courses and a booklist up on the admitted students page...and it *seems* like the first-year courses are similar...am I missing something here? I really don't want to get ripped off at the bookstore...

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:32 am

Different profs use different books even for the same class. You don't know your profs until you know your section. You also don't know which classes you have first versus second semester until that time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:12 pm

I'm not in the class of 2011, but I'll be at UMich in the fall. Any law students want to get together for a tasty beverage before classes begin?

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:15 pm

I'm in :mrgreen:

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:23 pm

All we need is Stotan and we have a bona fide MMA match on our hands! =)

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:25 pm

Lawlzies.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

viv

New

Post by viv » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:50 am

PKSebben wrote:I'm not in the class of 2011, but I'll be at UMich in the fall. Any law students want to get together for a tasty beverage before classes begin?
Wow, congrats! I'll be around, so yes.

ace0260

New

Post by ace0260 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:19 am

has the summer term started yet?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:47 am

PKSebben wrote:I'm not in the class of 2011, but I'll be at UMich in the fall. Any law students want to get together for a tasty beverage before classes begin?

Yay!!! Absolutely. Welcome to the class of 2010. :)

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:48 am

ace0260 wrote:has the summer term started yet?
Yes, it's almost over.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LawDude2010

New

Post by LawDude2010 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:42 pm

EmmyD wrote:Darn. I'm getting a lot of PMs about this, so here are my reasons:

1) Money.
2) Legal Philosophy.
3) GSI

The first point doesn't require much explanation. Many of you know that I want to go into academia; though practicing in the real world is quite enticing, I really want to get my Ph.D and start teaching. I need to have as little debt as I can going into law school, so I'm not trapped when I leave it.

The second point pertains to the relative strength of jurisprudence programs. Michigan has a very, very, very strong intellectual and curricular focus in legal history and philosophy, and this is something that's very important to me. It's worth nothing that I am entering law school solely because of my interest in the very theoretical aspects of law (though I hope I will acquire more than a passing interest in other, more practical, areas). Stanford only has one professor in jurisprudence (Josh Cohen); yes, he is a key player in the field, but Michigan simply has more professors in the field, and they are all heavy-weights when it comes to scholarship. Some of you know that I am still on the NYU waitlist; this is for the same reason: their jurisprudence resources are unmatched (well, at least until Shapiro physically shifts to YLS), and I'd consider going there for no money if it means working with someone who is pretty much the father of contemporary jurisprudence (Ronald Dworkin).

The third point sealed the deal. When I eventually apply to Ph.D programs in philosophy, my order of preference for programs will be as follows:

1) Princeton
2) MIT
3) Harvard
4) Michigan
5) Pitt
6) NYU
7) Rutgers
8) Yale

The GSI program gives me the opportunity to work with the philosophy department and gain valuable connections. Along with these connections and recommendations, and the teaching experience, I will have an invaluable asset when I eventually apply.

It's worth noting that Michigan's transgender resources are unparalleled. The med center and community are fully staffed for my needs, and the faculty and staff are well informed of the issues that pertain to my situation (due in large part to a former student who was the first openly transgender student to attend. Thank goodness to her).

So that's that. See you all in the fall (provided other schools don't come a knockin':))
Real reason she's not going to Stanford -- because she didn't get in there.

It's a pretty well-crafted lie. She says she got into Stanford, but mitigates that with rejections from other top schools so that we're less likely to question her. People would be raising an eyebrow if she claimed to get into HYS with her numbers, but when it's just Stanford, with rejections at the other two, we're not nearly as skeptical.

This nonsense about Michigan being better for her desired career track is laughable. You can do just about whatever you want with a HYS degree, and she knows that better than anyone on here, given her status as queen law school nerd.

Now, I figure I've got about t-minus 12 hours before I get a dose of her nonsensical rhetoric as a retort. Anybody want to take the under?

Rayster

New

Post by Rayster » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:57 pm

LawDude2010 wrote:Real reason she's not going to Stanford -- because she didn't get in there.

It's a pretty well-crafted lie. She says she got into Stanford, but mitigates that with rejections from other top schools so that we're less likely to question her. People would be raising an eyebrow if she claimed to get into HYS with her numbers, but when it's just Stanford, with rejections at the other two, we're not nearly as skeptical.

This nonsense about Michigan being better for her desired career track is laughable. You can do just about whatever you want with a HYS degree, and she knows that better than anyone on here, given her status as queen law school nerd.

Now, I figure I've got about t-minus 12 hours before I get a dose of her nonsensical rhetoric as a retort. Anybody want to take the under?

What do you care? Seriously, get a life of your own. It doesn't matter if what she says is true or not, there is absolutely no reason to question because it isn't any of your business.

Ulfrekr

Bronze

Post by Ulfrekr » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:57 pm

Sweet! What are you going to be doing? And are you ever on xbox live anymore?

Rayster

New

Post by Rayster » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:59 pm

Ulfrekr wrote:
Sweet! What are you going to be doing? And are you ever on xbox live anymore?
I'm down for a tasty beverage as well, but I won't be in town for a while yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”