Scholarships at GULC? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
caoyun

Bronze

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Post by caoyun » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:30 am

studymaster wrote:
caoyun wrote:
NELAC1987 wrote:I'm an "alternate" for a GULC scholarship. Hope I can move off that list and get some significant money...

GULC doesn't seem to be giving significant money to anyone.
They awarded me 10k, so I sent them an email last week asking if there's an appeals process or anything like that, and they've completely ignored me since. Good luck, though.
Not so
I got 35k a year, tho it was a bit weird how they did it..

I got an award of 83.5k total (on saturday) and then a phone call saying I got the law center award for 35k a year.

Georgetown is definitely giving cornell a run for their money, it's basically down to these two now for me and I have all the way until friday before a deposit is due :) yay deadlines!

Edited: For my lysdexia
I didn't mean that to be iron-clad. Of course, there are a few big offers out there. But they are very few and far between relative to other top schools. Congrats to you, though!

studymaster

New

Post by studymaster » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:22 pm

caoyun wrote:
studymaster wrote:
caoyun wrote:
NELAC1987 wrote:I'm an "alternate" for a GULC scholarship. Hope I can move off that list and get some significant money...

GULC doesn't seem to be giving significant money to anyone.
They awarded me 10k, so I sent them an email last week asking if there's an appeals process or anything like that, and they've completely ignored me since. Good luck, though.
Not so
I got 35k a year, tho it was a bit weird how they did it..

I got an award of 83.5k total (on saturday) and then a phone call saying I got the law center award for 35k a year.

Georgetown is definitely giving cornell a run for their money, it's basically down to these two now for me and I have all the way until friday before a deposit is due :) yay deadlines!

Edited: For my lysdexia
I didn't mean that to be iron-clad. Of course, there are a few big offers out there. But they are very few and far between relative to other top schools. Congrats to you, though!
Grazie

But I think it's self-selection (my favourite buzz word). This board is pretty vicious in it's GULC hating. I'd imagine some people considering GULC have bit their tongue.

strad83

New

Post by strad83 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:34 pm

FYI- They are pretty responsive to negotiating if you call. I think they leave a number in the offer letter.

benignuman

New

Post by benignuman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:45 pm

GULC gave me a great scholarship too. They were very open to negotiating.

darthvieder

New

Post by darthvieder » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:29 am

wonderful! thanks for the info..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:51 am

Do these dates still apply to this year? I never got an e-mail from Georgetown about a merit scholarship and feel my numbers would qualify me. Should I contact the admissions office?

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:23 pm

If you do call, please let us know what they say :)

wackadoodle

New

Post by wackadoodle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:59 am

ValiantVic wrote:Do these dates still apply to this year? I never got an e-mail from Georgetown about a merit scholarship and feel my numbers would qualify me. Should I contact the admissions office?

I thought the same thing- pretty bummed not to get an interview- any ideas what kind of numbers made the cut? Also has anyone heard anything from the PILS?

stace83

New

Post by stace83 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:30 am

I just received an email today saying I am under consideration for a scholarship- but no mention of a scholarship application. Do they send out the email first to see if you're still interested and then send out the app? Did anyone else just get the email today?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eazy E

New

Post by Eazy E » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:02 pm

I got that e-mail on Tuesday. Basically asked where I am in my decision process, what deadlines I'm looking at, and what dollar figure would sway me towards GULC. I answered honestly, so here's hoping they cough up something.

stace83

New

Post by stace83 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:31 pm

Same here. After I replied, I got another email asking for a phone interview with someone on the alumni scholarship committee. My interview will be on Monday. So I guess there's no scholarship application we need to fill out first?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”