Scholarships at GULC? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
MAD1984

New

Scholarships at GULC?

Post by MAD1984 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:59 pm

Sorry if I've just overlooked the obvious, but does anyone know to what extent Georgetown offers merit-based scholarships? And when/how are they typically awarded?

legends159

Silver

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Post by legends159 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:00 pm

I've read that they give out an email asking certain people to write essays for their scholarship. Not everyone gets it. I didn't get one, but I emailed them and will update if they email me back.

MAD1984

New

Post by MAD1984 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:01 pm

Good to know; thanks in advance for sharing what you hear.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:08 pm

here's a big thread from last year but I basically summed up the thread with my post above

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... cholarship

MAD1984

New

Post by MAD1984 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:54 pm

Very interesting, thanks for the link.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:58 pm

MAD1984 wrote:Very interesting, thanks for the link.
For what its worth, I emailed GULC shortly after my acceptance and asked about the scholarship process. The lady (who was extremely friendly, by the way) expressed my interest to the scholarship committee and said I would hear from them shortly. They sent me the application a few days ago. I don't know if I received it because I asked or if they intended to send it to me anyway. But there's absolutely no harm in asking them for it. The worst they can do is say no and you'll be no worse off.

Incidentally, the application is due on 2/13, so you might want to get that email off quick, if you intend to ask.

red_sox

New

Post by red_sox » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:09 pm

Last edited by red_sox on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atlrochester

New

Post by atlrochester » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks for the advice! just sent an email

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:17 pm

Just echoing what everyone else has said but adding that there are different due dates for different batches, so don't worry too much about getting it in on time. I received my invitation to apply back in December and then received the scholarship app about a month later with a due date of Feb.2. I think that was the very first batch. But I've also heard from posters like the one above who have the Feb.13 date, as well as some who have a Feb. 23 due date. Best of luck to you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MAD1984

New

Post by MAD1984 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:59 pm

Thank you everyone for the input. On a slightly unrelated note, did anyone receive an admitted student portfolio from GULC? I've gotten my admission note from Dean Cornblatt, some info on the international programs, and some emails, but never a packet.

And to be safe I emailed them re: the scholarship stuff.

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:19 am

MAD1984 wrote:Thank you everyone for the input. On a slightly unrelated note, did anyone receive an admitted student portfolio from GULC? I've gotten my admission note from Dean Cornblatt, some info on the international programs, and some emails, but never a packet.

And to be safe I emailed them re: the scholarship stuff.
I did get a package from them, about a week after my acceptance letter. A pretty nice package featuring a lot of information on the various faculty members.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:34 pm

I emailed them last week and they sent me the application today.

LilLindsey

New

Post by LilLindsey » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:01 pm

Congrats to those of you who got the email to apply for scholarships. What are your numbers? Also, does anyone know if the scholarship emails are sent out purely on numbers or on a broader basis?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MAD1984

New

Post by MAD1984 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:13 pm

LilLindsey wrote:Congrats to those of you who got the email to apply for scholarships. What are your numbers? Also, does anyone know if the scholarship emails are sent out purely on numbers or on a broader basis?
I have no clue. I guess it was a little presumptuous of me to assume I would be invited to apply for scholarships, but I never heard a peep from the school in that regard. Then, after reading responses here, I emailed the admissions office, which quickly replied with a scholarship invitation and application. :? Maybe they're just extending me a courtesy, I dunno.

I am very interested in GULC but I don't think I would be able to justify it without $$$. I will give it a go, but to echo some previous posters, if anyone wants to apply EMAIL NOW because the deadline is Feb. 13. Thankfully it's just a short essay, and you can email it in.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:02 am

If you ask for an extension they will give you until the 20th

Brucewaynegretzky

New

Post by Brucewaynegretzky » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:04 am

I emailed them and they told me they offered need based scholarships and to get in my FAFSA. Wonder if they checked to see that I was ED.... What office did you guys contact?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:16 am

i emailed admissions

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MAD1984

New

Post by MAD1984 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:01 am

legends159 wrote:i emailed admissions
Ditto.

danr2040

New

Post by danr2040 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:54 pm

Emailed admissions yesterday and they sent me the application that y'all have received (I was admitted to GULC one week ago). Due date is February 18th.

For the "please describe your current options and the amounts of any relevant merit scholarships offered," did you guys list schools where you have applications pending, or did you restrict your list to schools where you have gotten in?

Thankfully, I have a couple peer schools I can tell Georgetown that I got into. But since most of my T-14 applications are still pending, wouldn't it be to my advantage to let Georgetown know that I should have other options available?

Roo

New

Post by Roo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:40 pm

Im in the same boat - didn't get the scholarship invite until I asked for it. Im a little surprised because my LSAT is far above their 75th percentile, even if my GPA is a little below the median.

For anyone that got the invitation without asking - what were your numbers?

Elms

Bronze

Post by Elms » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:07 pm

Roo wrote:Im in the same boat - didn't get the scholarship invite until I asked for it. Im a little surprised because my LSAT is far above their 75th percentile, even if my GPA is a little below the median.

I got the invite without asking, 172, 3.63,

I'm really frustrated as a married independent student though that for the need based stuff you have to provide parental info even though you are an independent student. I don't even know if I can get the info from my parents so if I don't get enough merit $$ Gulc might just be out for me.

Anyone know when we will hear back on merit schollys?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:43 am

Elms wrote:
Roo wrote:Im in the same boat - didn't get the scholarship invite until I asked for it. Im a little surprised because my LSAT is far above their 75th percentile, even if my GPA is a little below the median.

I'm really frustrated as a married independent student though that for the need based stuff you have to provide parental info even though you are an independent student. I don't even know if I can get the info from my parents so if I don't get enough merit $$ Gulc might just be out for me.

The PDF that GULC attached along with the scholarship application said that initial offers would be made on February 23rd (though they emphasize that that is a tentative date). But that's only for the batch that was due on the 14th. Each batch might have its own time line.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:09 pm

caoyun wrote:
Elms wrote:

The PDF that GULC attached along with the scholarship application said that initial offers would be made on February 23rd (though they emphasize that that is a tentative date). But that's only for the batch that was due on the 14th. Each batch might have its own time line.
Mine was due on Feb.2 and also said they hoped to get them out by Feb. 23.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:21 am

Did anyone else just get the GULC scholarship email explaining how the process will work? I didn't realize we'd have to accept so soon...I was hoping to at least be able to see if I could get off the Hold list at some schools. Sigh. Oh well, no biggie, I probably won't get one anyways.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:21 pm

summertimechi wrote:Did anyone else just get the GULC scholarship email explaining how the process will work? I didn't realize we'd have to accept so soon...I was hoping to at least be able to see if I could get off the Hold list at some schools. Sigh. Oh well, no biggie, I probably won't get one anyways.
are you talking about this email?
I am writing to touch base with you regarding our ongoing scholarship consideration review. As you know, we are currently in the process of making some very difficult decisions on how to allocate our limited scholarship funding among an extremely talented group of admitted students. As we near the end of our initial selection process, if there are any changes or updates to your scholarship application, please let us know.

We will be making some initial scholarship offers on February 23rd and we’ll be in touch with all of you on that date. For those of you who receive an offer at this time, we will be notifying you via email and a follow-up letter in the mail which will explain the details of the scholarship award and acceptance process. As a reminder, if you accept a scholarship offer from Georgetown Law, you are required to withdraw all applications and decline all other offers from other law schools.

Some of you may be selected as Alternates. This means we will need to wait and see how many initial scholarship offers are accepted before we will know whether we can make additional offers. Since the acceptance deadline for the initial offers is April 1st, we expect to be able to give you an update on April 3rd.

Thank you again for your interest in Georgetown Law and we’ll be in touch soon.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”