Scholarships at GULC? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Elms

Bronze

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Post by Elms » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:43 pm

I got offered 15K, but the deadline is really upsetting me. I won't have a chance to visit NU before the deadline... not sure what to do.

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:50 pm

Elms wrote:I got offered 15K, but the deadline is really upsetting me. I won't have a chance to visit NU before the deadline... not sure what to do.
I'm sure Georgetown would give you an extension if they were asked.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:06 pm

i was trying to decide whether to ask for an extension or a larger scholarship (I thought both would be too much) and went with the request for more money, so Elms, if you do try for an extension I'd love to see what they say...

also, advice would be nice...i sent GULC a letter already letting them know that I had a nice offer from Texas and asked if i could get a larger scholarship amt and they said they'd see what they could do and get back to me. today i received another offer from Vandy, this one even bigger than the one from Texas. would it be overkill for me to send them a copy of that scholarship letter, too? i just really want them to give me a better offer....i love gtown so much.

aaa111

New

Post by aaa111 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:44 pm

5k a year... not going to cut it, even though I love DC. Anyone been very successful in negotiating upward?

NELAC1987

New

Post by NELAC1987 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:41 pm

I got offered zip-zilch-nada at GULC (which I would certainly consider at the right price) after receiving $67k Dean's at Michigan, $78k at Emory, and $72k at Vandy. I sent Georgetown (at which I wasn't even asked to apply for a scholarship) a letter the other day, and they responded, saying that I'll now be considered for a scholarship. I'm very grateful for that, to be sure, but do you think there's any chance they'll beat Michigan's offer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:05 pm

NELAC1987 wrote:I got offered zip-zilch-nada at GULC (which I would certainly consider at the right price) after receiving $67k Dean's at Michigan, $78k at Emory, and $72k at Vandy. I sent Georgetown (at which I wasn't even asked to apply for a scholarship) a letter the other day, and they responded, saying that I'll now be considered for a scholarship. I'm very grateful for that, to be sure, but do you think there's any chance they'll beat Michigan's offer?
The most it appears anyone has received is $25,000 per year...so I suppose there is a chance. Judging from most of the people on here, including myself, I would say not. I got 84k from Emory, 42k from U of Chicago, and only 30k from GULC.

NELAC1987

New

Post by NELAC1987 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:09 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
NELAC1987 wrote:I got offered zip-zilch-nada at GULC (which I would certainly consider at the right price) after receiving $67k Dean's at Michigan, $78k at Emory, and $72k at Vandy. I sent Georgetown (at which I wasn't even asked to apply for a scholarship) a letter the other day, and they responded, saying that I'll now be considered for a scholarship. I'm very grateful for that, to be sure, but do you think there's any chance they'll beat Michigan's offer?
The most it appears anyone has received is $25,000 per year...so I suppose there is a chance. Judging from most of the people on here, including myself, I would say not. I got 84k from Emory, 42k from U of Chicago, and only 30k from GULC.
Hm, dismaying, but thanks for the info. Did you try to negotiate at all? Maybe there's a chance that GULC will try to compete with Mich, since I told them I was very interested?

jamaicanjynx

New

Post by jamaicanjynx » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:37 pm

Bumping this up...

Has anyone else received scholly$$$ or heard about the Public Interest Scholars Program?

pirouette

New

Post by pirouette » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:43 am

jamaicanjynx wrote:Bumping this up...

Has anyone else received scholly$$$ or heard about the Public Interest Scholars Program?
I'm curious about this as well - I applied for the PILS program a while ago and haven't heard anything...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anonmona

New

Post by anonmona » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:08 pm

I received an email a couple hours ago telling me I'm a finalist.

jamaicanjynx

New

Post by jamaicanjynx » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:57 pm

anonmona wrote:

I received an email a couple hours ago telling me I'm a finalist.

Congrats and good luck to you!

I'm hoping the e-mails are staggered and I can still get one...A girl can dream can't she ? :D

NELAC1987

New

Post by NELAC1987 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:00 pm

I'm an "alternate" for a GULC scholarship. Hope I can move off that list and get some significant money...

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:17 pm

NELAC1987 wrote:I'm an "alternate" for a GULC scholarship. Hope I can move off that list and get some significant money...
GULC doesn't seem to be giving significant money to anyone. They awarded me 10k, so I sent them an email last week asking if there's an appeals process or anything like that, and they've completely ignored me since. Good luck, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pirouette

New

Post by pirouette » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:18 pm

NELAC1987 wrote:I'm an "alternate" for a GULC scholarship. Hope I can move off that list and get some significant money...
How long did they take to respond to your letter? I mailed one as well, but haven't heard a peep.

NELAC1987

New

Post by NELAC1987 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:20 pm

caoyun wrote:
GULC doesn't seem to be giving significant money to anyone. They awarded me 10k, so I sent them an email last week asking if there's an appeals process or anything like that, and they've completely ignored me since. Good luck, though.
Too bad. They could potentially snatch me from higher-ranked schools with equal money...

NELAC1987

New

Post by NELAC1987 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:21 pm

pirouette wrote:
How long did they take to respond to your letter? I mailed one as well, but haven't heard a peep.
About a week.

pirouette

New

Post by pirouette » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:22 pm

NELAC1987 wrote:
pirouette wrote:
About a week.
Okay, great. I guess I should be hearing something soon - I hope. Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NELAC1987

New

Post by NELAC1987 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:22 pm

pirouette wrote:
Okay, great. I guess I should be hearing something soon - I hope. Thanks.
Good luck!

jamaicanjynx

New

Post by jamaicanjynx » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:37 pm

Who do you email requests for scholarship consideration to?

heyyitskatie

New

Post by heyyitskatie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:46 pm

Anyone know if it's still too late to e-mail them about scholarships?

I just figured that since they didn't tell me anything, I wasn't getting anything.

Also, has anyone heard back from need based grant applications / know if they generally give those out?

AdCommie

New

Post by AdCommie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:45 am

Has anybody had success asking them for an extension on that deadline?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

halfpancake

New

Post by halfpancake » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:51 am

Are people still hearing back about scholarships? I was accepted in December and haven't heard anything. Should I expect nothing from G-Town or should I keep on waiting?

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:49 pm

AdCommie wrote:Has anybody had success asking them for an extension on that deadline?
I had emailed them to ask for more money awhile ago. They finally got back to me yesterday. They'll let me know by April 3. And more relevantly, I have an extension until some time shortly after then. It's not much of an extension, though.

studymaster

New

Post by studymaster » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:57 pm

caoyun wrote:

GULC doesn't seem to be giving significant money to anyone.
They awarded me 10k, so I sent them an email last week asking if there's an appeals process or anything like that, and they've completely ignored me since. Good luck, though.
Not so
I got 35k a year, tho it was a bit weird how they did it..

I got an award of 83.5k total (on saturday) and then a phone call saying I got the law center award for 35k a year.

Georgetown is definitely giving cornell a run for their money, it's basically down to these two now for me and I have all the way until friday before a deposit is due :) yay deadlines!

Edited: For my lysdexia

tripu11

New

Post by tripu11 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:58 am

Last edited by tripu11 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”