Scholarships at GULC? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Currie84

New

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Post by Currie84 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:55 am

Bump

Brucewaynegretzky

New

Post by Brucewaynegretzky » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:58 am

I actually just called them about this about five minutes ago... They said the yellow sheet is not out yet and that they don't know when it is. They won't start reviewing files until it does come out, but they still want the FAFSA and Need Access in by the second.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:21 pm

Is anyone else pissed off at this fucking april 1 deadline? It's honestly even more upsetting than my ridiculously low scholarship amount. Grr. GULC is really screwing me over.

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:26 pm

summertimechi wrote:Is anyone else pissed off at this fucking april 1 deadline? It's honestly even more upsetting than my ridiculously low scholarship amount. Grr. GULC is really screwing me over.
I was annoyed about it before I got the scholarship, but now it doesn't really bother me anymore, seeing that it is now incredibly unlikely I will attend.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:22 pm

Fup wrote:
summertimechi wrote:Is anyone else pissed off at this fucking april 1 deadline? It's honestly even more upsetting than my ridiculously low scholarship amount. Grr. GULC is really screwing me over.
I was annoyed about it before I got the scholarship, but now it doesn't really bother me anymore, seeing that it is now incredibly unlikely I will attend.
Yea...if only I were lucky enough to be sitting on a number of other great acceptances perhaps it would bother me less :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:27 pm

summertimechi wrote:
Fup wrote:
Yea...if only I were lucky enough to be sitting on a number of other great acceptances perhaps it would bother me less :(
for me, michigan, ut, and vandy would all be preferable, but that's just me - ;)

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:37 pm

doyleoil wrote:
summertimechi wrote:
Fup wrote:
for me, michigan, ut, and vandy would all be preferable, but that's just me - ;)
Haha, as soon as I posted that I knew someone would point those out. It's just that I've really been set on heading somewhere where I know I'd be happy living (i.e. big city life, diverse, not unbearably cold). Neither Nashville, Austin, nor Ann arbor fit the bill so I may have to just suck it up and sacrifice 3 yrs of my youth in a city I'll probably be miserable in. C'est la vie.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:39 pm

summertimechi wrote: Haha, as soon as I posted that I knew someone would point those out. It's just that I've really been set on heading somewhere where I know I'd be happy living (i.e. big city life, diverse, not unbearably cold). Neither Nashville, Austin, nor Ann arbor fit the bill so I may have to just suck it up and sacrifice 3 yrs of my youth in a city I'll probably be miserable in. C'est la vie.
austin ftw! it's not just a cow-town, you know - :)

TheJackson6

New

Post by TheJackson6 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:06 pm

doyleoil wrote:
summertimechi wrote: Haha, as soon as I posted that I knew someone would point those out. It's just that I've really been set on heading somewhere where I know I'd be happy living (i.e. big city life, diverse, not unbearably cold). Neither Nashville, Austin, nor Ann arbor fit the bill so I may have to just suck it up and sacrifice 3 yrs of my youth in a city I'll probably be miserable in. C'est la vie.
austin ftw! it's not just a cow-town, you know - :)
+1. Austin is a really awesome city. Having spent significant time in both DC and Austin, I think Austin's more fun. All people in DC talk about is work and how super-influential they are, which gets wretchedly boring after a while.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

packergirl13

New

Post by packergirl13 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:56 pm

I got 25K a year and was reallllly hoping a full ride would bump GULC over HLS. Anybody know if they gave out any full rides this year?

yellowhighlighter

New

Post by yellowhighlighter » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:09 pm

packergirl13 wrote:I got 25K a year and was reallllly hoping a full ride would bump GULC over HLS. Anybody know if they gave out any full rides this year?

Congrats! what are your stats?

packergirl13

New

Post by packergirl13 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:23 pm

Can you tell I'm new to this if I almost feel a little awkward answering that question? hahaha

yellowhighlighter

New

Post by yellowhighlighter » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:25 pm

packergirl13 wrote:Can you tell I'm new to this if I almost feel a little awkward answering that question? hahaha
haha, yup. you can always send a private message. (the pm button the bottom left)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

packergirl13

New

Post by packergirl13 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:35 pm

Haha thanks....I'm technologically challenged :wink:

Anyway, 180, 3.9ish.... Like HLS but loooove DC and was really hoping that I could justify going to Gtown instead.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:45 pm

packergirl13 wrote:Haha thanks....I'm technologically challenged :wink:

Anyway, 180, 3.9ish.... Like HLS but loooove DC and was really hoping that I could justify going to Gtown instead.
you really can't. Enjoy Harvard and the lifetime benefits it entails :D

you can always work in DC after you graduate

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:21 pm

Last edited by summertimechi on Thu May 13, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

illegalcheeser

New

Post by illegalcheeser » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:27 pm

Just want to add to the commiseration. I was a quick auto-admit at GULC and they bombarded me with scholarship letters, only to offer me 5k. UVA is looking better every day

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mllerustad

New

Post by mllerustad » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:33 pm

This all makes me think that given their (apparent) financial situation, GULC should've just targeted a few high-stat-but-unlikely-HYS admittees with generous offers instead of lowballing most everyone. It seems pretty much everyone who got a GULC scholarship has at least one better prestige-to-money ratio option--and thus won't be taking it. If there was a year to slip out of the top 14, this might be it...

Or maybe the withdrawals will make for a de facto second round of scholarships?

packergirl13

New

Post by packergirl13 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:43 pm

summertimechi wrote:
packergirl13 wrote:Haha thanks....I'm technologically challenged :wink:

WOW! First off congrats on those amazing stats!

Second, you'd be crazy to take anything less than YHS.

Third, you getting only 25K makes me think (or rather, makes me even more sure) GULC is in really bad shape with $ this year!

Fourth, I'm jealous...congrats again! :)
Thanks so much! I am a little disappointed about Gtown but you are very right that I am lucky to have other opportunities (as I'm sure all the amazing applicants who write on these things do)!

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:43 am

mllerustad wrote:This all makes me think that given their (apparent) financial situation, GULC should've just targeted a few high-stat-but-unlikely-HYS admittees with generous offers instead of lowballing most everyone. It seems pretty much everyone who got a GULC scholarship has at least one better prestige-to-money ratio option--and thus won't be taking it. If there was a year to slip out of the top 14, this might be it...

I was thinking the same thing. If this thread is any indication, not many people are going to accept and attend. It's too little money spread among too few people.

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:27 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
mllerustad wrote:This all makes me think that given their (apparent) financial situation, GULC should've just targeted a few high-stat-but-unlikely-HYS admittees with generous offers instead of lowballing most everyone. It seems pretty much everyone who got a GULC scholarship has at least one better prestige-to-money ratio option--and thus won't be taking it. If there was a year to slip out of the top 14, this might be it...

I was thinking the same thing. If this thread is any indication, not many people are going to accept and attend. It's too little money spread among too few people.
I really hope Georgetown realizes this. Considering DC's cost of living, $10,000 a year hardly makes it more attractive than UVA (which I'm sure most scholarship recipients got or will get accepted to) at full price, and anything less than $10,000 is simply not going to change anyone's mind. I think they should use the money from the people who withdrew to double the offers of everyone else. Obviously I'd like to see the alternates helped, but handing them between $5,000 and $10,000 per year isn't going to entice them anymore than it will us.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:32 pm

Reading through this thread and this song comes up on my ipod. Oh how very coincidental

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Fup wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

I really hope Georgetown realizes this. Considering DC's cost of living, $10,000 a year hardly makes it more attractive than UVA (which I'm sure most scholarship recipients got or will get accepted to) at full price, and anything less than $10,000 is simply not going to change anyone's mind. I think they should use the money from the people who withdrew to double the offers of everyone else. Obviously I'd like to see the alternates helped, but handing them between $5,000 and $10,000 per year isn't going to entice them anymore than it will us.
I was thinking somewhat on these lines. Maybe its just wishful thinking, but it seems that GULC could use the scholarship process as a sort of weeding out process to see who really wants to go. Those who withdraw immediatly were only looking for big money. Maybe then they could re-allocate the money from those people to those who are genuinely interested. At least I can hope, as I still really like Georgetown. But 10,000 just isn't enough.

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:38 pm

Last edited by scoutfinch80 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:56 am

Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”