FAFSA Q: Sending to schools before you're accepted? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
amyLAchemist

New

Re: FAFSA Q: Sending to schools before you're accepted?

Post by amyLAchemist » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:48 pm

Yeah, good post. Different schools have different requirements for independence, it's not always 30 and older. Berekeley's is the easiest to meet, at least of the schools I applied to (5 years not claimed as exemption, got <10000 from parents over those 5 years, and didn't live with them >6 mo during the time). Worth looking into...

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:54 pm

snotrocket wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:what do you do if your parents refuse to give you a copy of their 1040?? I probably won't get need based aid even on my own. I just want to be able to get the unsubsidized stafford loans.
Some schools will waive the parent data requirement based on age or some sort of independence test. For loans only, all you need to file is the FAFSA. This is linked in a couple of other threads on financial aid, and it covers pretty much all of these questions:

http://lawschoolalmanac.blogspot.com/20 ... l-aid.html
Thanks, good link. I am only 20 though, so I guess I will just have to try to guilt my parents into giving me the form like amy did. :)

amyLAchemist

New

Post by amyLAchemist » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:02 pm

It was columbia that had the most straightforward explanation of the outcome of not providing parental info. Not to sound manipulative, but that worked with my dad.

http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_stu ... ligibility

But that's not loans, that's grants. But you might want to fill it out just in case some school will actually give you money, ya know?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”