New GI Bill Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
nukelaloosh

New

Re: New GI Bill

Post by nukelaloosh » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:03 pm

I have been told by my vet certification people that I cannot claim my benefits from the VA until my school registers me for classes in August.

What was the turn around time from certification to tuition payment for those of you who already have GI Bill rolling?

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:00 pm

The turn around time last year was bad. I think it crept up past 8 weeks. By January they straightened it out. It should be better this year.

OIF2LAW

New

Post by OIF2LAW » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:57 am

I am being told to expect late SEP/early OCT as best case scenario

nukelaloosh

New

Post by nukelaloosh » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:37 pm

OIF2LAW wrote:I am being told to expect late SEP/early OCT as best case scenario
Roger, thanks. Seems to me that the VA could streamline the process by making everything electronic once a vet is found to be qualified. Apparently, they are still using paper and people to do a task that doesn't require either.

E.g., once a vet is certified for the GI Bill, they are put into a database with pertinent information: percentage of coverage, AD/Retired/Separated, etc.

Vet certification officers at schools could have access to this system and once the student is enrolled he/she enters credit hours into the database. A simple calculation is made by the system and DFAS is authorized to distribute funds.

Too bad this will never happen because it might actually reduce the amount of man-hours (and therefore people) needed by VA--no government agency volunteers to contract in size.

OIF2LAW

New

Post by OIF2LAW » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:08 pm

I have my cert letter but it clearly states that I must forward VA my DD214 when discharged. After that, it is entirely up to financial aid to verify my enrollment (in a timely manner).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:27 pm

OIF2LAW wrote:I have my cert letter but it clearly states that I must forward VA my DD214 when discharged. After that, it is entirely up to financial aid to verify my enrollment (in a timely manner).
Weird, mine says nothing about 214 and I applied md received the cert before starting terminal leave. It reflects 100% and Yellow Ribbon and Michigans veteran coordinator said I was good to go.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:16 pm

I was allowed to scan and email my DD214.

OIF2LAW

New

Post by OIF2LAW » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:08 pm

you must be good than blowhole. mine is in bold, dead-center of the page.

philip.platt

New

Post by philip.platt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:03 pm

I found a pretty good guide - - if anyone has not seen this yet.

http://images.military.com/education/do ... i-bill.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OIF2LAW

New

Post by OIF2LAW » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:47 pm

a moderator banned my blog link last time a posted it for trying to help. if you check my profile link there are three GI Bill videos on it. Scroll to the 08JUN entry

jchb6d

New

Post by jchb6d » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Not sure if this is off-topic. I've run into problems with the number of months of eligibility the VA says I have left. I used part of Chapter 1606, the Reserve/National Guard GI Bill way back in '02-'05.

From the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (which I think is where I can find the actual law), March 31, 2009, amendment to the GI Bill, it says that if anyone has used a portion of the Chpt 30, then that takes away from his total eligibility for the Chpt 33. No mention of Chpt 1606.

When I brought this up to the VA, they sent me an undated memo signed by the Director of VA Educational Services, where he DOES say that having used 1606 also limits my Chpt 33 eligibility.

My contention is that Congress passed the law it wanted to pass, and took care to mention the one-for-one limitation between 30 and 33. Since they could've easily included a line about Chpt 1606, but didn't, then it's really not up to the VA to place further restrictions on the program.

(For the record, I paid into the Chpt 30 fund when I switched to Active Duty. Even threw in the additional $600 lump sum bonus thing. The VA has since told me that was wasted money even before Post-9/11 because I'd used part of my Chpt 1606, so I wasn't eligible for full Chpt 30 benefits. But this was not what was told me by the initial GI Bill briefer or the Ed Counselor at Ft. Campbell. I never saw anything in writing, but even to this day the VA can't show me anything in writing that backs up their claim either. Except that same memo, which specifically deals with Post-9/11.)

I've tried to work through the American Legion, and while the rep was sympathetic, he really didn't know where to start to get an answer one way or another. I just now tried to sign up for the IAVA website, so the answer could very well be there, but I need to scan my DD 214 so I can send it in before I'm granted full access.

I'm a lowly 0L, so I don't really know the law, or even if I've found the actual law. Do I have a leg to stand on? If so, how do I move forward with this?

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:10 am

jchb6d wrote:Not sure if this is off-topic. I've run into problems with the number of months of eligibility the VA says I have left. I used part of Chapter 1606, the Reserve/National Guard GI Bill way back in '02-'05.

From the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (which I think is where I can find the actual law), March 31, 2009, amendment to the GI Bill, it says that if anyone has used a portion of the Chpt 30, then that takes away from his total eligibility for the Chpt 33. No mention of Chpt 1606.

When I brought this up to the VA, they sent me an undated memo signed by the Director of VA Educational Services, where he DOES say that having used 1606 also limits my Chpt 33 eligibility.

My contention is that Congress passed the law it wanted to pass, and took care to mention the one-for-one limitation between 30 and 33. Since they could've easily included a line about Chpt 1606, but didn't, then it's really not up to the VA to place further restrictions on the program.

(For the record, I paid into the Chpt 30 fund when I switched to Active Duty. Even threw in the additional $600 lump sum bonus thing. The VA has since told me that was wasted money even before Post-9/11 because I'd used part of my Chpt 1606, so I wasn't eligible for full Chpt 30 benefits. But this was not what was told me by the initial GI Bill briefer or the Ed Counselor at Ft. Campbell. I never saw anything in writing, but even to this day the VA can't show me anything in writing that backs up their claim either. Except that same memo, which specifically deals with Post-9/11.)

I've tried to work through the American Legion, and while the rep was sympathetic, he really didn't know where to start to get an answer one way or another. I just now tried to sign up for the IAVA website, so the answer could very well be there, but I need to scan my DD 214 so I can send it in before I'm granted full access.

I'm a lowly 0L, so I don't really know the law, or even if I've found the actual law. Do I have a leg to stand on? If so, how do I move forward with this?
Some members of the national guard were inadvertently ommitted from the new GI Bill. Senator Akaka of Hawaii recently proposed a bill to fix this and other oversites. I don't know where it is going in the senate though. --LinkRemoved--
I am sorry I can't offer more, better advice here. Try other message boards and the VA and other vets. If you learn any thing about how to get your benefits please share.

BaronDetroit

New

Post by BaronDetroit » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:16 am

I used it this past semester. As soon as you get registered- get in contact with your registrar (or VA school rep). They can not do enrollment certification until they have the exact tuition/ fees charged to you by the school.

Once you get approved it is smooth sailing and you get paid fairly quickly. I really envy those with scholarships because if you got a full ride you should still get paid. If you got 36 months of benefits at the 100% rate you should be living large.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:59 am

BaronDetroit wrote:. I really envy those with scholarships because if you got a full ride you should still get paid. If you got 36 months of benefits at the 100% rate you should be living large.
This part depends entirely on the school.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:00 pm

From the VA web site:
Tutorial assistance is available if you are receiving VA educational assistance at the half-time or more rate and have a deficiency in a subject making tutoring necessary. If you have questions on this program please contact our toll-free number 1-888-442-4551.
has anyone here used this tutoring? Since law school exams happen only once per semester can we get tutoring before exams show that we are deficient? I can call on Tuesday I guess but it is usually better, when dealing with the VA, to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about before dealing with them. It seems you need an academic advisor and teacher to write a LOR for you and send that in. I would imagine that most teachers would just sign off on this without giving me a problem. The VA also will pay only for $100/per month. There are some professional services (Jeff Fleming, John Delaney) that offer tutoring for law students. I am sure they would work something out to accept $100/month from a vet instead of the whole fee up front.

big_blue79

Bronze

Post by big_blue79 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Just thought I'd bump this. I got my Letter of Eligibility in the spring, and passed it up to the NYU VA guy. He filed with the VA on July 22nd and, as of now, I'm still waiting (not that I expected anything so soon). Do I have to do anything else at this time? Does anyone have any experience with NYU specifically and how they handle cases where GI Bill payments were pending when tuition is due? Thanks in advance!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:52 am

Big blue: I can't speak for NYU specifically, but Boalt last year basically automatically extended the payment deadlines (without making me pay the extended payment fee). Their rationale was since you don't precisely know how much you'll get from VA, you have to wait and see what the balance will be. If NYU hassles you, you can probably use a similar line of reasoning.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jajacobs

New

Post by jajacobs » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:13 am

great info in this thread....thanks a lot...

but i just experienced a moment of terror thinking about the fact that i am eligible for assitance for 3 years...i applied and was approved at 100% for the gi bill several months ago, but i won't be attending law school until fall 2011 (assuming all goes well with applications!). my question is....does the VA start "counting" my 3 years at the point at which i enroll in school (which was my assumption) or at the point at which my application was approved (which would screw me completely)...
it wouldn't make much sense to start calulating the time before i was even enrolled, but the VA doesn't always make sense...anyone else out there apply and get approved well before they actually enrolled in school?

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:24 am

jajacobs wrote:great info in this thread....thanks a lot...

but i just experienced a moment of terror thinking about the fact that i am eligible for assitance for 3 years...i applied and was approved at 100% for the gi bill several months ago, but i won't be attending law school until fall 2011 (assuming all goes well with applications!). my question is....does the VA start "counting" my 3 years at the point at which i enroll in school (which was my assumption) or at the point at which my application was approved (which would screw me completely)...
it wouldn't make much sense to start calulating the time before i was even enrolled, but the VA doesn't always make sense...anyone else out there apply and get approved well before they actually enrolled in school?
The amount of benefit you received is not a time clock. You will receive 3 years, or 36 months of benefit counted based on the number of months used each time you receive Gi Bill. If the first semester is 3.5 months long, then you will use up 3.5 months from your benefit for that semester (more if you decide to receive pay during the winter break). Time when you are not actually receiving GI Bill does not count.

The only time limit on GI Bill is the 10 years (Chapter 30) or 15 years (Chapter 33) from last active duty date that you must use your benefit.

jajacobs

New

Post by jajacobs » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:31 am

CyLaw - thank you for allowing me to start breathing again:)
now, back to my PS!!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:27 pm

So, I took a Dale Carnegie class through UCMO and the VA paid within a week of the school certifying my enrollment. Also found out that through a loophole active duty service members are entitled to unlimited tuition and fees. MO is only authorized $269 per credit and they paid nearly $600 so I called...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:05 pm

My school can't even confirm I did/did'nt recieve a yellow ribbon slot....same song and dance for six months now. Good thing school only starts in 2 weeks.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:18 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:My school can't even confirm I did/did'nt recieve a yellow ribbon slot....same song and dance for six months now. Good thing school only starts in 2 weeks.
That sucks man. Michigans veteran coordinator has been really great. I can't imagine. How are you supposed to plan your loans?

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:17 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:My school can't even confirm I did/did'nt recieve a yellow ribbon slot....same song and dance for six months now. Good thing school only starts in 2 weeks.
My school is doing the same thing, even though they fund ALL vets with a yellow ribbon scholarship. I think it is probably some VA rule or fear of being sued if they give out bad information. They should at least be able to tell you how many people applied. UVA was able to tell me that much when I was on their waitlist.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:06 pm

blowhard wrote:
That sucks man. Michigans veteran coordinator has been really great. I can't imagine. How are you supposed to plan your loans?
That is what i want to know lol! If i get the yellow ribbon slot I won't need any loans, and if I don't then I do need a loan :(

MURPH wrote:
My school is doing the same thing, even though they fund ALL vets with a yellow ribbon scholarship. I think it is probably some VA rule or fear of being sued if they give out bad information. They should at least be able to tell you how many people applied. UVA was able to tell me that much when I was on their waitlist.
Some schools do seem to be better about it. I just wish mine was one of them. W&L was able to confirm I'd get a slot if I applied for it, and this was way back during the winter.

Now I'm being told they are waiting for VA to post their new max rates. Can't they worry about that once they divy up the slots?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”