New GI Bill Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
WassAnch

New

Re: New GI Bill

Post by WassAnch » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:46 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
helfer snooterbagon wrote:Thanks. That was what I figured, but I thought they might hook us up (more)!
The good thing (if I understand it correctly) is that you are not charged an entire month of benefits. You should only be charged 7 days (from 26th through 31st) of benefits. If you have 1 day of coverage when the semester begins, then you get everything (BAH, TA, books) for the entire semester.
Yea, I ended up getting around $200 in BAH and $800 for the book stipend. I started out with all 36 months of coverage, so the timing isn't much of an issue...well, unless I decide to get an LLM or MBA later, although I have a feeling that I will be done with school for awhile after I finish up with this whole law school thing.

It does sound like Zojirushi got his BAH dated to the 1st of August, so maybe some offices are handling it that way...Either that or his VA rep is being generous, unless he is enrolled in a summer program.

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:22 pm

I was in a summer program which ended Aug. 11th. Fall started up on the 24th, but with break pay I received the full month's payment. Cheers.

philip.platt

New

Post by philip.platt » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:01 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
philip.platt wrote:
joehad7 wrote:Haven't gotten anything yet. My DD214 wasn't published until 7/26, so it'll probably drag for a while.
You have a DD214 - so you are out ?

Do you have to be in the reserves to get the GI bill benefits, or can you be a veteran as well?
You need to have served on active status (not for training) after 9/11, rates depend on length of service.

cooool!!!!!!!! I just checked the website and think I qualify for partial reimbursement . . .

thanksss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:16 am

Anyone planning to trek down to the VA office to take advantage of this?

http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressre ... fm?id=1783

Since my VA office is close, I figure it is worth a try. Not sure if they are going to be totally mobbed or not though.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:20 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:Anyone planning to trek down to the VA office to take advantage of this?

http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressre ... fm?id=1783

Since my VA office is close, I figure it is worth a try. Not sure if they are going to be totally mobbed or not though.
Thanks for the info. I'll be heading down there today. Then in 6-8 weeks I'll have my emergency money...maybe.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:31 pm

I had a few posts in the Military law thread and figured this was more appropriate here. I just checked and so far, so good. I went ahead and applied for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. I have 13 months time in service, so according to their charts I would qualify for 60% benefits. That is really awesome. Anyone recently deal with the VA and know how long it will take to find out whether or not my application is approved? I don't really care about using it for the final year of my undergrad because Ohio State is so cheap, but if I can use it for law school, it would really open up a whole new world of possibilities for me (since I'm of very modest means and I already have significant debt). This is really exciting. If this works out, I'm definitely going to have to buy those of you who helped me a few drinks :)

reading through this thread a bit, I just want to make sure I started out the right way. I went to the VA website and applied through the VONAPP online application. I guess now I just wait until they approve me or not. It mentioned something about sending in my DD214, but it never gave me an address. Is this an essential part of this process or will they be okay without me sending in a copy of my records?

ugh, Just realized I answered 'Yes" to "are you attaching a copy of your discharge papers?" even though I don't have a digital copy and I can't edit it. Oh well, I'm not looking to get benefits for this quarter anyways.

BTW I checked the GI Bill FAQ and it says those who had ROTC scholarships are eligible just like you guys said. Thanks so much for the help.

Also, I am super jealous of you guys that got to go to the DLI. I was all set up to go there, but I choked on the test. I got a high enough score for all the services except the Marines, so I just picked a different job.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:49 am

Lantern, VONAPP is the first step for you. Next you'll get a letter from your regional VA center processing your claim. That is your certificate of eligibility. Obviously, check it carefully. Mine had no problems, but at least one other here (Cole S. I think) was supposed to be 100% and the COE came in less than that.

Don't worry about the DD214 yet. You will probably get direction from the VA on where/how to send it. But, make sure you do since until it's in, you won't be eligible for the housing or book stipend. (AcDu can use the bill so no DD214, but they don't get housing or books.)

Glad you found out before you limited your sights based on $

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:10 am

the lantern wrote:
reading through this thread a bit, I just want to make sure I started out the right way. I went to the VA website and applied through the VONAPP online application. I guess now I just wait until they approve me or not. It mentioned something about sending in my DD214, but it never gave me an address. Is this an essential part of this process or will they be okay without me sending in a copy of my records?

ugh, Just realized I answered 'Yes" to "are you attaching a copy of your discharge papers?" even though I don't have a digital copy and I can't edit it. Oh well, I'm not looking to get benefits for this quarter anyways.

BTW I checked the GI Bill FAQ and it says those who had ROTC scholarships are eligible just like you guys said. Thanks so much for the help.

Also, I am super jealous of you guys that got to go to the DLI. I was all set up to go there, but I choked on the test. I got a high enough score for all the services except the Marines, so I just picked a different job.
I'd give them a call and ask them your DD214 question. I don't think that you can edit the form yourself, but maybe that can they go ahead and fix it. FYI, I never sent in a DD214 and my app went through pretty fast (just got the second BAH payment yesterday).
BTW, did score requirements for DLI change? When I tested and went through about 7 years ago all four branches required a DLAB of 100, but the Marines would waiver it down to 90 for CAT I/IIs. What are the requirements now? Also, don't be too jealous. Being in training status for that long sucks. Monterey is great, but daily morning/afternoon formations, organized marching every week, curfews, etc. gets old long before the 3 years of overall training are up.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:16 pm

WassAnch wrote:
the lantern wrote:

I'd give them a call and ask them your DD214 question. I don't think that you can edit the form yourself, but maybe that can they go ahead and fix it. FYI, I never sent in a DD214 and my app went through pretty fast (just got the second BAH payment yesterday).
BTW, did score requirements for DLI change? When I tested and went through about 7 years ago all four branches required a DLAB of 100, but the Marines would waiver it down to 90 for CAT I/IIs. What are the requirements now? Also, don't be too jealous. Being in training status for that long sucks. Monterey is great, but daily morning/afternoon formations, organized marching every week, curfews, etc. gets old long before the 3 years of overall training are up.
I don't know anything except what they told me. I took the test because I wanted to join the Marines. I got told by my recruiter I didn't do good enough. An army recruiter I had talked to previously (lol what a mistake, the guy would not leave me alone) called me and told me I could join the army to be a linguist and get a signing bonus. I think I got in the 90s but it was like 9 years ago so I don't know man. Either way, I'm still jealous :)

I got an email from the VA saying that my application had been accessed and that someone will contact me soon, so I suppose I'll just wait for someone to call and see what to do from there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:30 am

So I went down to the Chicago VA yesterday (Friday Oct 2) after work and got my check for $3,000! I had to wait online for about an hour, but they made the process as painless as possible, free parking, lots of chairs etc. Only thing that looks funny is the check is written out by hand, but they even give you a letter that you take to your bank that explains that the check is indeed good!

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:47 am

Finally got some money! It was direct deposited into my account. I'm not sure if my appeal was granted or not. I got $1300 and $600 deposits on Friday. I guess I'll have to wait until my school gets the tuition payment to know if they're paying the 100% or 60% rate. Maybe a letter or something will come to inform me of the results of my appeal. If they deny my appeal, I'll head to DC and take my case to court. I'm feeling froggy with my minimal legal knowledge. At least something came through.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:20 am

My appeal was successful! The system works....kinda! I got my money today. Hang in there everyone who's still waiting.

anthonyc7599

New

Post by anthonyc7599 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:14 am

Glad to see some movement finally. I was processed and paid last week. Make you keep your schools aware of the fees include, like the mandatory health care. Those can get left out and you should not have to pay for it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:01 am

Still no money, no BAH, no book money, no tuition...

The VA said to call back in November!!! This is getting to be a little much.........

Oh, and by November, they'll owe me just under $13,000 ($7,800 should be direct deposited for BAH and books). It should be interesting when I actually get paid, or if I get paid :? I wonder what the schools are thinking about this..

Farfan1

New

Post by Farfan1 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:07 am

Cole S. Law wrote:Finally got some money! It was direct deposited into my account. I'm not sure if my appeal was granted or not. I got $1300 and $600 deposits on Friday. I guess I'll have to wait until my school gets the tuition payment to know if they're paying the 100% or 60% rate. Maybe a letter or something will come to inform me of the results of my appeal. If they deny my appeal, I'll head to DC and take my case to court. I'm feeling froggy with my minimal legal knowledge. At least something came through.

They even paid your seat deposits???

Farfan1

New

Post by Farfan1 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:08 am

Boyk1182 wrote:Still no money, no BAH, no book money, no tuition...

The VA said to call back in November!!! This is getting to be a little much.........

Oh, and by November, they'll owe me just under $13,000 ($7,800 should be direct deposited for BAH and books). It should be interesting when I actually get paid, or if I get paid :? I wonder what the schools are thinking about this..

When did you apply?

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:11 am

Farfan1 wrote:

When did you apply?
April 30... the night before the application was supposed to be available lol
And my school certified me in early August, during orientation I think... I'll go talk to them tomorrow but I know exactly what they are going to say...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Farfan1

New

Post by Farfan1 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:16 am

Boyk1182 wrote:
Farfan1 wrote:

When did you apply?
And my school certified me in early August, during orientation I think... I'll go talk to them tomorrow but I know exactly what they are going to say...
Yeah, "we have TONS of apps...gotta wait." :) Has your school been patient with you?

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:19 am

Farfan1 wrote:
Boyk1182 wrote:
Farfan1 wrote:

When did you apply?
Yeah, "we have TONS of apps...gotta wait." :) Has your school been patient with you?
I just quit bothering them dude... I went there so much for the first few weeks and got the same answers, I haven't bothered since August. But I gotta go find something out tomorrow. If this was someone's only source of money for rent and living, they'd have to either drop out or take out unnecessary loans, which seems kind of crazy to me.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:29 am

Farfan1 wrote:
Cole S. Law wrote:Finally got some money! It was direct deposited into my account. I'm not sure if my appeal was granted or not. I got $1300 and $600 deposits on Friday. I guess I'll have to wait until my school gets the tuition payment to know if they're paying the 100% or 60% rate. Maybe a letter or something will come to inform me of the results of my appeal. If they deny my appeal, I'll head to DC and take my case to court. I'm feeling froggy with my minimal legal knowledge. At least something came through.

They even paid your seat deposits???

No. I was referring to direct deposits into my bank account. They were my BAH and book payments.

I was told that back payments would hit my account within the next two months. I did also get the Yellow Ribbon Program at my school, so I get an extra $1046 total from my school and the VA. If this program is still there when my kids are college age, they're all joining the Coast Guard.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:20 pm

I received this email three weeks ago:

"Your claim was downloaded by the Buffalo VA Regional Office on October 1, 2009 at 3:11 AM ET time. You will be contacted soon by that office.

This is an automated response. Please do not reply to this email.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs"

And I still have not heard anything. Is it time to start calling this office to see what is up or should I just continue to be patient? It would really be nice if I get use these benefits for my last two quarters of UG (starting in January), but I really only care about law school since my UG is dirt cheap anyways.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:52 pm

OK folks. If you haven't had your claims processed yet, here's how the process will work.

You'll get a letter from your education benefits region (in the snail mail) specifically laying out the dollar amounts that the VA says you are due for books, housing, tuition and fees.

Then, a couple of days later, if you've given them your account information, your money will appear in your account (woohoo). Very simple. I have to check with the school to see if they've received their payment too.

The only thing I'm bummed about is with the California confusion between tuition & fees, my school mis-allocated between fees and tuition (at least in my view) putting me below the allowable for fees, so I lost out on a couple hundred bucks. :-( But that's on the school, not the VA.

For everybody's reference, my initial certification was sent out around 8/20 or so; West Region (Oklahoma Office).

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:13 am

Just reading through some FAQs, I didn't realize that it didn't count your "entry level and skill training" as time in service for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. So will this take off a year of my service since I went to recruit training (3 months), marine combat training (1 month), and air command electronics course (which took 4 months, but I was there for 7). This will knock me from the 60% to 40% benefit. Oh well, it is money I didn't have before, since I don't qualify for the old GI bill.

edit: I am now confused. I'm searching for more information but it doesn't say anywhere else the thing about entry level training not counting and stuff like that. To people that have their claims all processed and stuff, is there any point where someone actually explains to you your benefits and you get to ask questions?

edit2: Sort of answering my own question here. From the actual text of the bill:

" Entry level and skill training means—

(1) Basic Combat Training and Advanced Individual Training for members of the Army;

(2) Recruit Training (Boot Camp) and Skill Training (“A” School) for members of the Navy;

(3) Basic Military Training and Technical Training for members of the Air Force;

(4) Recruit Training and Marine Corps Training (School of Infantry Training) for members of the Marine Corps; and

(5) Basic Training for members of the Coast Guard."

edit again!!: The more I read about this program the more confused I get :( Also, this makes some states REALLY unattractive to go to school in and makes some states stand head and shoulders above the rest.

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:42 am

Finally getting my money tomorrow (actually deposited today, available tomorrow). Hope everyone else is proceeding smoothly.

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:49 am

Still no money, and the semester's almost over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”