New GI Bill Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
WassAnch

New

Re: New GI Bill

Post by WassAnch » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:02 pm

Has anyone received anything yet? It looks like my school has received the tuition/fee money, but still no sign of the BAH and book stipend payments.

babyt8_99

New

Post by babyt8_99 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:00 pm

WassAnch wrote:Has anyone received anything yet? It looks like my school has received the tuition/fee money, but still no sign of the BAH and book stipend payments.

nothing!! I got my tuition bill today (OUCH!!)

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:58 pm

babyt8_99 wrote:
WassAnch wrote:Has anyone received anything yet? It looks like my school has received the tuition/fee money, but still no sign of the BAH and book stipend payments.

nothing!! I got my tuition bill today (OUCH!!)
Got the VA confirmation of the cert paperwork on 8/20 or so. Not expecting anything for at least a month. We will see if they can surprise me!

joehad7

New

Post by joehad7 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:14 pm

Haven't gotten anything yet. My DD214 wasn't published until 7/26, so it'll probably drag for a while.

WassAnch, you going to Bar Review?

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:19 am

joehad7 wrote:Haven't gotten anything yet. My DD214 wasn't published until 7/26, so it'll probably drag for a while.

WassAnch, you going to Bar Review?

I was going to, but the printer that I bought didn't come with a USB cable. I had to wait for my neighbor to get back from the football game so I could print off my memo for tomorrow. Stoopid writing class...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:44 pm

Has anyone tried to do the "wave" enrollment verification thing? Mine says no record found.

AndyB617

New

Post by AndyB617 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:37 am

does the VA confirmation of the certification paperwork come by email or snailmail? i really don't think that my school has sent in my paperwork yet. this is getting ridiculous.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:44 am

AndyB617 wrote:does the VA confirmation of the certification paperwork come by email or snailmail? i really don't think that my school has sent in my paperwork yet. this is getting ridiculous.
Mine came by email. Not sure what the "wave" verification is, so maybe Cole could help out there.

But yes, if you haven't rcvd the email from the VA I'd go talk to your vet rep on campus.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:43 pm

Rotor wrote:
AndyB617 wrote:does the VA confirmation of the certification paperwork come by email or snailmail? i really don't think that my school has sent in my paperwork yet. this is getting ridiculous.
Mine came by email. Not sure what the "wave" verification is, so maybe Cole could help out there.

But yes, if you haven't rcvd the email from the VA I'd go talk to your vet rep on campus.
Not sure if Wave is applicable under the new system or not, but when I used the old GI Bill once a month I had to verify my enrollment online (WAVE).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:57 pm

Talked to my vet liason guy here. He said that they verified my enrollment, but the VA is reporting a 10-13 week lag in processing them! Nice. Yesterday I got a check for $500 from my school and I thought that the book allowance had hit. My hopes for VA performance were dashed when I learned that it was my seat deposit being creditied to my account. Damn it.

gephillips

New

Post by gephillips » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:14 pm

Hello All,

This is my first post, and if I'm rehashing an old question, I apologize and would be happy to be pointed to the older discussion. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how the per credit hour part of the new G.I. Bill will work for law school, given that most law schools don't seem to have clear credit hour requirements. Or perhaps I'm unfamiliar with the curriculum?

To concretize matters a bit. The VA will pay $1010 per credit hour in the state of New York. Let's say (VERY hypothetically) I got into Columbia. It appears (and please, let me know if I'm misconstruing things) that as a 1L I would have to take eight courses worth four "points" each. I assume this would work out to: 8 courses x 4 pts/course x $1010/pts = $32320 for that year. Am I doing that about right? Any nuances I've missed?

I'd love to hear some specific hard data from people actually using the new G.I. Bill this year. Thanks much,

Graham

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:32 pm

gephillips wrote:Hello All,

This is my first post, and if I'm rehashing an old question, I apologize and would be happy to be pointed to the older discussion. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how the per credit hour part of the new G.I. Bill will work for law school, given that most law schools don't seem to have clear credit hour requirements. Or perhaps I'm unfamiliar with the curriculum?

To concretize matters a bit. The VA will pay $1010 per credit hour in the state of New York. Let's say (VERY hypothetically) I got into Columbia. It appears (and please, let me know if I'm misconstruing things) that as a 1L I would have to take eight courses worth four "points" each. I assume this would work out to: 8 courses x 4 pts/course x $1010/pts = $32320 for that year. Am I doing that about right? Any nuances I've missed?

I'd love to hear some specific hard data from people actually using the new G.I. Bill this year. Thanks much,

Graham
We'll let you know once one of us gets an actual check.

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:46 pm

It looks like everything has hit my account now. My app was processed through the St. Louis office and the money was given to the school/put into my school account late last week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:52 pm

I received my initial payment on the 14 and another today to include book stipend and housing allowance back to Aug. 1. Our office also received a letter saying VA processed 180,000 of their 270,000 applications. Good luck guys.

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:13 pm

To those who have received money: What was the timeframe between submitting the enrollment certification and receiving payment. According to WAVE my enrollment certificate was received 11 Sept (comforting). Under Chapter 30 it would take them about 6 weeks to turn it around, are you seeing a faster turnaround under Chapter 33?

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:21 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:To those who have received money: What was the timeframe between submitting the enrollment certification and receiving payment. According to WAVE my enrollment certificate was received 11 Sept (comforting). Under Chapter 30 it would take them about 6 weeks to turn it around, are you seeing a faster turnaround under Chapter 33?
Ha, no. I sent all my school's certs in on the 8th of the July. The first day the VA accepted them was the 7th of July. Some of our students received payment on the 14th. So 8-10 weeks is accurate.

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:58 pm

Zojirushi wrote:
helfer snooterbagon wrote:To those who have received money: What was the timeframe between submitting the enrollment certification and receiving payment. According to WAVE my enrollment certificate was received 11 Sept (comforting). Under Chapter 30 it would take them about 6 weeks to turn it around, are you seeing a faster turnaround under Chapter 33?
Ha, no. I sent all my school's certs in on the 8th of the July. The first day the VA accepted them was the 7th of July. Some of our students received payment on the 14th. So 8-10 weeks is accurate.
Well, they couldn't pay out until you were actually enrolled. My first day of class was the 26th of August and the payments were received on the 10th of September (approximately). They can probably get ready to pay, but I doubt that they really do much until they receive the verification paperwork from your school (about two weeks for me). I don't think that we can really say how long the actual turn-around is until someone who is already enrolled sends in an app.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:32 am

WassAnch wrote:
Zojirushi wrote:
Well, they couldn't pay out until you were actually enrolled. My first day of class was the 26th of August and the payments were received on the 10th of September (approximately). They can probably get ready to pay, but I doubt that they really do much until they receive the verification paperwork from your school (about two weeks for me). I don't think that we can really say how long the actual turn-around is until someone who is already enrolled sends in an app.
This was for the end of the summer semester that bled over Aug 1 to the 11th. So even if we say they waited until Aug 1, it took them over 6 weeks. That is not how they process them though. Our fall students enroll for class in April/May, and the VA started accepting fall certifications on the 7th of July. The issue was not that they were ready and waiting; they just couldn't handle the load. It will get better though. I talk to them on a daily basis, and they are working hard and rapidly making headway.

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:09 am

Could they even pay-out in August? I am under the impression that the payments are designed to pay for the month that just passed, much like normal DoD payments. In other words, a payment for August couldn't be payed out until Sept 1st. I could be wrong, but I sort of assumed that would be the case.

Anyway, I was actually very surprised that the money came so fast...I was almost expecting to wait until Oct/Nov, especially since it was a new program. I'm sorry to hear that so many people are still waiting.

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:01 pm

Was the August BAH payment pro-rated? Or did they pay for the entire month of August even if you were only in attendance for part of the month?

philip.platt

New

Post by philip.platt » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:09 pm

joehad7 wrote:Haven't gotten anything yet. My DD214 wasn't published until 7/26, so it'll probably drag for a while.
You have a DD214 - so you are out ?

Do you have to be in the reserves to get the GI bill benefits, or can you be a veteran as well?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:33 pm

philip.platt wrote:
You have a DD214 - so you are out ?

Do you have to be in the reserves to get the GI bill benefits, or can you be a veteran as well?
You need to have served on active status (not for training) after 9/11, rates depend on length of service. My Bro-in-law just finished a deployment with the NG and will be using his GI Bill while in school, along with unemployment for 1 year, not sure if he is eligible for the reserve tuition assistance or not.

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:55 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:Was the August BAH payment pro-rated? Or did they pay for the entire month of August even if you were only in attendance for part of the month?

The payment was pro-rated. I moved down here on the 7th of August and the lease started on the 1st, but the payment was pro-rated to reflect a 26 Aug start date.

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks. That was what I figured, but I thought they might hook us up (more)!

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:06 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:Thanks. That was what I figured, but I thought they might hook us up (more)!
The good thing (if I understand it correctly) is that you are not charged an entire month of benefits. You should only be charged 7 days (from 26th through 31st) of benefits. If you have 1 day of coverage when the semester begins, then you get everything (BAH, TA, books) for the entire semester.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”