UCLA "Dean's Scholarship" Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Rolloss

New

Re: UCLA "Dean's Scholarship"

Post by Rolloss » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:34 am

Hey, I'm a 1L at UCLA with a Dean's Scholarship. There is a GPA requirement, but it's really, really low. You have to be in "good standing" or something like that. To not be in good standing you have to be in like the bottom 5% of the class or something. I don't really remember, but generally if you have been offered scholarship money and go to class sometimes, you'll be OK.

Also, Weyburn Terrace is awesome and I highly recommend living there. All the units are either 1 or 2 bedroom and you get your own bedroom either way, 1 person per bedroom. The 1 bedroom places are only like $50 more a month than the doubles, so get one of those if you can, but they are rarer and harder to get. Like half the class lives in Weyburn (or at least it seems like it) and the majority of the under-25 people live there for sure. Pros and cons about being around your classmates all day, but you can decide for yourself.

aad

New

Post by aad » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:01 pm

I am reviving this thread...

Does anybody know whether scholarship information comes during the acceptance call from Dean Schwartz? Had my call recently but there was no word on a scholarship during the call. I'm wondering if there is still any hope for a Dean's Scholarship coming through snail mail, etc.

I'm very interested in UCLA for personal reasons but I need a nudge/incentive to consider it over some other offers that I have so far from higher ranked schools...

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:04 pm

Wow Dean Schwartz sounds like a great guy.

clo

New

Post by clo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:27 pm

I'm in the same position. Just received Need Grant award. Any idea when scholarship info might come?

YESLawSchool2013

New

Post by YESLawSchool2013 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:33 pm

aad wrote:I am reviving this thread...

Does anybody know whether scholarship information comes during the acceptance call from Dean Schwartz? Had my call recently but there was no word on a scholarship during the call. I'm wondering if there is still any hope for a Dean's Scholarship coming through snail mail, etc.

I'm very interested in UCLA for personal reasons but I need a nudge/incentive to consider it over some other offers that I have so far from higher ranked schools...
X1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:32 am

Scholarships are usually mentioned in the call, but you can check your acceptance package as there should be a letter within that details your award. I'm a bit confused at the "scholarship ammounts include need-based aid" bit. I got a scholarship upon acceptance and 2 weeks ago I got a need based grant. Do I not get that money ontop of my $75k? I guess I will ask when I go to the ASD in 2 weeks.

mleibman

New

Post by mleibman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:07 pm

Reviving old thread..

I am in the process of considering an early decision app to UCLA Law. I hear this is the most prestigious scholarship offered. Could anyone give me an idea as per the requirements in terms of LSAT & GPA for this scholarship? I would be hesitant to apply early decision, and not getting much money, considering my scores, when I could get better offers elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:13 am

I didn't get the Dean's Scholarship, but after negotiation i got roughly 20k/yr. I am ~ 170/3.7.

thistimereborn

New

Post by thistimereborn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:39 pm

mleibman wrote:Reviving old thread..

I am in the process of considering an early decision app to UCLA Law. I hear this is the most prestigious scholarship offered. Could anyone give me an idea as per the requirements in terms of LSAT & GPA for this scholarship? I would be hesitant to apply early decision, and not getting much money, considering my scores, when I could get better offers elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.
Not sure if I totally understand your question, but I want to clarify that if you apply early decision, you will certainly not get a big scholarship offer. Also, there's no reason to apply early decision unless UCLA is a reach school for you. Just apply regular decision if your numbers are in range, and you'll have a shot at scholarships too.

FYI I was offered $90K at UCLA and I had a 171/3.9

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”