UCLA "Dean's Scholarship" Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
thistimereborn

New

UCLA "Dean's Scholarship"

Post by thistimereborn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:23 pm

Does anyone know if the "Dean's Scholarship" at UCLA Law is a category of merit aid or if it is a specific monetary award with a fixed $ amount?

Also, does anyone know if $30,000 a year for 3 years is about as good as it gets at UCLA?

The scholarship letter is kind of confusing too because it says, "This award will include any need-based law grant you may receive from the UCLA School of Law Office of Financial Aid." If this is true, what's the point of applying for financial aid if whatever financial aid you receive will come out of your free scholarship money?

Anyone able to clarify this?

TrojanBadger

New

Re: UCLA "Dean's Scholarship"

Post by TrojanBadger » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:01 pm

I too received a Dean's Scholarship, mine for $25,000 a year. I've never seen anything better than yours, so congrats.

As far as the second piece, it's my understanding (and my undergrad does the same thing) that many merit scholarships are to be received instead of, and not in addition to, need-based aid. In other words, if you receive need-based financial aid in the amount of $10,000 a year, your $30,000 a year scholarship would be reduced to $20,000 a year.

Therefore, if you are marginal for getting any need-based aid in the first place, it's probably not even worth the application. If you're a lock for money, might as well just to see if it surpasses your merit scholarship, though that of course is still unlikely.

thistimereborn

New

Post by thistimereborn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:58 pm

Oh hey congrats to you too! It was totally unexpected to be offered that amount. I had heard that UCLA is generous, but when Dean Schwartz said "you qualify for a merit scholarship of "Nine----" I was expecting him to say "Nine thousand per year."

Yeah I was a bit confused at first because "Financial Aid" and "Need Based Aid" can include loans, and it seems ridiculous to forgo free money for loan money. Because, unless I'm mistaken, scholarships are essentially free money - discounts on school fees. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) So I thought "that can't be the way it is..." But I guess it actually is. I suppose it's because it might be worth it for people offered smaller scholarships to apply for financial aid in the hopes that they'll receive need-based grants in a greater amount than their scholarship.

For us, though, I assume it would be impossible to qualify for need-based grants / free money of over $90,000 or even $75,000 in your case...

I'm Canadian, so FAFSA is not an option for me.

So if I chose UCLA, the best thing for me to do is to just take the scholarship, not apply for financial aid, and pay the rest out of pocket?

TrojanBadger

New

Post by TrojanBadger » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:09 pm

That seems like the best option to me, I mean if you decide to attend there I bet you can find the time to do the financial aid anyway between now and the deadline, and I'd of course call them to double-check the gist of our understanding, but yeah, private loans or out of pocket.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:53 pm

wait a minute. I also got the 90K and I was wondering the same thing.

I'm gonna call tomorrow to double check, but I can't make up the rest out of pocket.

I thought it was 30K each year plus loans so I pay the loans after graduation. Is this completely wrong?

For example, if they give me 40K a year in loans, do I end up forfeiting all my scholarship money?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TrojanBadger

New

Post by TrojanBadger » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:04 pm

legends159 wrote:wait a minute. I also got the 90K and I was wondering the same thing.

I'm gonna call tomorrow to double check, but I can't make up the rest out of pocket.

I thought it was 30K each year plus loans so I pay the loans after graduation. Is this completely wrong?

For example, if they give me 40K a year in loans, do I end up forfeiting all my scholarship money?
It also could be that private loans would not deduct from your merit award. Let us know what you find out tomorrow.

lawguy123

New

Post by lawguy123 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:10 pm

TrojanBadger wrote:
legends159 wrote:wait a minute. I also got the 90K and I was wondering the same thing.

It also could be that private loans would not deduct from your merit award. Let us know what you find out tomorrow.
Private loans will absolutely not deduct from your merit award. All that it means is that when your need based aid is calculated you will not receive any more "free money." Beyond the 90K you've been awarded you will have to take out loans. However, you will still qualify for the Federal subsidized Stafford loans. The money you were awarded will not hurt or penalize you in any way....be happy and relax!

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:12 pm

lawguy123 wrote:
TrojanBadger wrote:

Private loans will absolutely not deduct from your merit award. All that it means is that when your need based aid is calculated you will not receive any more "free money." Beyond the 90K you've been awarded you will have to take out loans. However, you will still qualify for the Federal subsidized Stafford loans. The money you were awarded will not hurt or penalize you in any way....be happy and relax!
I'll call tomorrow to confirm, but I really REALLY hope you're right.

SouthFloridaGrad

New

Post by SouthFloridaGrad » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:10 pm

legends159 wrote:
lawguy123 wrote:
TrojanBadger wrote:

I'll call tomorrow to confirm, but I really REALLY hope you're right.
Any updates on this? I was hoping to take a full merit scholly for tuition, and then get loans for the rest of the cost of attendance...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:42 pm

Ok I just called and talked to Dean Schwartz. If I didn't out myself before, it's pretty obvious now.

He told me that loans do not take away from your scholarship money. So for example, if you get $90,000 for scholarships and another $20,000 in Stafford loans, you would have 90K free money and 20K in loans for personal/educational uses.

The language in reference to scholarships and need-based money is that you cannot double dip. However, Dean Schwartz did say that in the past years there have been people who have gotten both, so it is definitely worth applying for FAFASA (you need to in order to get loans anyway) and the Need access grant (I think there is a one time $25-30 fee for up to 6 schools).

He did want me to tell all you TLSers and lurkers that, if you have questions you should call his office 310-825-2080 to discuss your individual circumstance (i.e., if you have other scholarships but really want UCLA or if you are just overwhelmed by the price tag). He sound very friendly and helpful, not intimidating.

Oh and they do have graduate dorms (for about $1,000 a month) and you should call him to be put on a dorming list (It's in LA so housing will be in high demand). The one request is that if you decide UCLA is not for you, to let them know ASAP so they can offer it to other students.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:40 pm

hi dean schwartz!

this is exciting
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FuturehoyaLawya

New

Post by FuturehoyaLawya » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:02 pm

i lived in the new graduate dorms while in the grad school at ucla, they are very nice...a bit small...but if you are interested in living there, you need to get on the waiting list fast, especially if you want a studio apartment!

thistimereborn

New

Post by thistimereborn » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:41 pm

Are you guys referring to Weyburn terrace? I'd really like to live there if I choose UCLA.

Are you saying that we need to get on the list for Weyburn now? I didn't realize that the housing process had even begun yet.

Please clarify! Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

darkarmour

Bronze

Post by darkarmour » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:44 pm

thistimereborn wrote:Are you guys referring to Weyburn terrace? I'd really like to live there if I choose UCLA.

Are you saying that we need to get on the list for Weyburn now? I didn't realize that the housing process had even begun yet.

Please clarify! Thanks.
weyburn terrace... have fun waking up, looking out the window, and staring at the 5 acres of tombstones in the VA cemetery

thistimereborn

New

Post by thistimereborn » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Hmm.....I'll probably have to go visit UCLA beforehand huh.

darkarmour

Bronze

Post by darkarmour » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:55 pm

thistimereborn wrote:Hmm.....I'll probably have to go visit UCLA beforehand huh.
well, weyburn isn't THAT bad. it's just kind of strange to live next to a giant cemetery.

You might want to look for a private apartment if you go to UCLA: it's cheaper than university-provided housing.

thistimereborn

New

Post by thistimereborn » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:02 am

If I'm willing to pay rent similar to that of housing, is it relatively easy to get a nice studio apartment near UCLA?

Also, is it worth living in UCLA housing to have the benefit of living with UCLA students? My only concern about living independently is that I might be isolated from other students and will spend many lonely nights serenading myself to sleep with songs of sorrow.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

darkarmour

Bronze

Post by darkarmour » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:14 am

thistimereborn wrote:If I'm willing to pay rent similar to that of housing, is it relatively easy to get a nice studio apartment near UCLA?

Also, is it worth living in UCLA housing to have the benefit of living with UCLA students? My only concern about living independently is that I might be isolated from other students and will spend many lonely nights serenading myself to sleep with songs of sorrow.
It's really up to you. Whether or not you want to live with other grad students is something you gotta weigh for yourself. As for private apartments next to campus (almost all populated with UCLA students, undergrad and grad), the market rate is $1500 for a 1 bedroom with a large living area, 1800-2400$ for a 2 bedroom, depending on a couple of factors. Apartments further from campus (2+ miles) are MUCH cheaper - you'll have to take the school shuttle or drive, but expect to pay ~500 a month for your own bedroom.

In university grad housing, you'll likely be rooming with someone else with minimal living space. The standard is 4 people to a 2 bedroom unit, i think.

thistimereborn

New

Post by thistimereborn » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:28 am

Thanks for the info!

I'm living in a 2 bedroom with 3 people in NY right now, and the rent I'm paying is just slightly less than the $1500 for a one bedroom that you mentioned. I guess I could go with the 1-bedroom!

I'm so used to having my own room right now that I can't imagine having to share a room with someone again like in undergrad. I guess no grad housing for me! lol

TrojanBadger

New

Post by TrojanBadger » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:17 am

Are we positive that's the practice at Weyburn? That would suck

TrojanBadger

New

Post by TrojanBadger » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:22 am

If market is 1800-2400 for a 2-bedroom, and Weyburn Terrace costs ~900/month, that's 1600 if it's two people. That's 3200 if it's 4 people.

I doubt they're charging a 33% premium on the top-of-the-market 2-brs and filling the place. Seems more likely that it's 2 people per 2 bedroom.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:23 am

thistimereborn wrote:Thanks for the info!

I'm living in a 2 bedroom with 3 people in NY right now, and the rent I'm paying is just slightly less than the $1500 for a one bedroom that you mentioned. I guess I could go with the 1-bedroom!

I'm so used to having my own room right now that I can't imagine having to share a room with someone again like in undergrad. I guess no grad housing for me! lol
are you paying $1500 yourself or in total? Cause if you're paying $3500 a month for a 2 bedroom you're either getting ripped or you're living in 42nd and Park. If it's the latter, get your ass over to Astoria unless you're rich, in which case disregard my post.

highhopes09

New

Post by highhopes09 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi from a UCLA undergrad and applicant anxiously waiting to hear back from schools...

My apartment, which is fifteen minutes by foot from the law school, is a decent apartment with average rent for the area... I spent hours looking at apartments and have a pretty good feel... the going rate is $550-$750 for a double and $800-$900 for a single in the area.

As for the other topic in this thread, what numbers can start to think about getting scholarship money from UCLA? The past LSN applicants seem to range a lot, I'm guessing based on what point in the cycle they applied? (I submitted my apps on Dec 2, but have not gone complete at UCLA)...

highhopes09

New

Post by highhopes09 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:11 pm

and for what its worth, UCLA dorms undergrad DO charge about twice as much for a double, although food is included... still, their housing is at least a little overpriced.

ecclaw07

New

Post by ecclaw07 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:00 pm

Reviving old thread...Just got a scholarship offer today. Not nearly as high as others have said but with my numbers I am pretty excited. Is there a GPA I would need to maintain to keep the scholarship?? Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”