Finding the Right Price Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Hhaleyh123

New

Finding the Right Price

Post by Hhaleyh123 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:48 pm

Hey all,

I want to take on as little debt as possible for law school. I have a 3.94 UGPA, 175 LSAT, and about $70K in undergrad debt. I didn't qualify for any financial aid at all for undergrad because of my parents' income and they contributed absolutely nothing to my undergrad education, so I really got screwed over in that department. I have generic biglaw goals but unsure of where/which schools to apply to in order to have a decent shot and get into as little (additional) debt as possible. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Forgive me for my ignorance, for I am just a very confused 0L.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Finding the Right Price

Post by crazywafflez » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:19 am

You are good- this is the right mentality. What're your goals?
If you want to do smaller firm work or local/state govt- you can go to any T1 school (essentially schools ranked 20-60ish that dominate a state or market) and be totally fine (this is what I did).
T14 + Vandy, UCLA, and UT all basically secure biglaw- or pretty darn near close.
You'll get a really great scholarship at Vandy/UCLA/UT or if you must WashU/ND/USC (maybe BC/BU if interested in Boston).
I think you'll also get a good scholarship to a number of the T14s.
If I were in yourshoes, I'd apply to all the T14 + either Vandy, UCLA or UT (choose the region you'd rather be in). And just go to the one that gives you a full scholarship on that.
I think you're gonna have a good cycle- apply widely and just take the best ranked school that gives you the best scholarship.

Return to “Financial Aid”