WUSTL scholarship - should I argue for more? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
mandrewsf

New

WUSTL scholarship - should I argue for more?

Post by mandrewsf » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:53 pm

I just got scholarship offer from WUSTL today, and while it is objectively quite good, I also felt that it was also a little less than my expectations given WUSTL's reputation for generosity. I do have the feeling that WUSTL really wanted me there - I got an interview invite in 24 hours after I submitted my application and during the interview, it felt like WUSTL was selling itself to me rather than the other way around - the admissions officer who interviewed me practically admitted me on the spot. My stats aren't spectacular, with a 3.4 and 172, but the reason why they showed such strong interest in me is, imo, my work experience (I work for the government and I played a small but non-negligible part in a law-related accomplishment from the last administration that was well-reported in the news). My plan right now is to write back and see if I could negotiate for closer to full tuition, though my question is, given my stats might I be overplaying my hand? And given that WUSTL is the only school that has given me anything so far, should I wait until I have other offers so that I could use that as leverage for negotiations?

cavalier1138

Re: WUSTL scholarship - should I argue for more?

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:42 am

mandrewsf wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:53 pm
My stats aren't spectacular, with a 3.4 and 172, but the reason why they showed such strong interest in me is, imo, my work experience (I work for the government and I played a small but non-negligible part in a law-related accomplishment from the last administration that was well-reported in the news).
The reason they showed strong interest in you is because you're competitive for the T13, and they want your LSAT for their numbers. They may not have offered a full scholarship at the outset because you're enough of a splitter that significant T13 scholarships are unlikely. And frankly, considering the general tenor of the "law-related accomplishments" in the last administration, I'd expect any involvement to be a neutral-to-negative factor at most schools. Outside of a handful of dangerously stupid extremists esteemed members of the Federalist Society, no one is going to view successfully implementing a travel ban, family separation, etc. as laudatory.

In terms of negotiations, yes, you should wait until you have other offers in hand as leverage. There's no point in bargaining by trying to re-sell yourself to WashU.

mandrewsf

New

Post by mandrewsf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:42 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:42 am
mandrewsf wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:53 pm
My stats aren't spectacular, with a 3.4 and 172, but the reason why they showed such strong interest in me is, imo, my work experience (I work for the government and I played a small but non-negligible part in a law-related accomplishment from the last administration that was well-reported in the news).
The reason they showed strong interest in you is because you're competitive for the T13, and they want your LSAT for their numbers. They may not have offered a full scholarship at the outset because you're enough of a splitter that significant T13 scholarships are unlikely. And frankly, considering the general tenor of the "law-related accomplishments" in the last administration, I'd expect any involvement to be a neutral-to-negative factor at most schools. Outside of a handful of dangerously stupid extremists esteemed members of the Federalist Society, no one is going to view successfully implementing a travel ban, family separation, etc. as laudatory.

In terms of negotiations, yes, you should wait until you have other offers in hand as leverage. There's no point in bargaining by trying to re-sell yourself to WashU.
Haha, while I can't elaborate further the thing I was involved with was fortunately one of the few genuinely uncontroversial and bipartisan accomplishments from the last administration, speaking as a Biden-voting Democrat. But appreciate the advice.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:33 pm

mandrewsf wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:42 pm
one of the few genuinely uncontroversial and bipartisan accomplishments from the last administration
Oh, that law-related accomplishment (I'm 95% sure I know which one you mean). Then I take back what I said about a potential negative effect. But I think it's still going to have a negligible effect on scholarship negotiations. At this point, you just need leverage.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:24 pm

Stop flattering yourself. They want your 172. That’s the game. Your “special candidacy” and personal accomplishments have nothing to do with it. This is the way they approach anyone with a viable LSAT score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”