Listing Parents info on FAFSA? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
tripod

New

Listing Parents info on FAFSA?

Post by tripod » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:43 pm

Hi all, sorry if this has already been covered in another thread but I haven't spent much time on this forum yet.

I am applying to law schools (took the LSAT-FLEX in January so my apps all finalized last week), and am unsure how to approach the parental info section of my FAFSA app. I am independent of my parents, will be turning 31 this year, haven't lived with them since I was 21. I filled out my FAFSA app a few months ago and decided to not fill out the parental info part since I'm not a dependent.

But now that I've done some more reading, I'm seeing stuff indicating law school applicants should always fill out parental info. FAFSA itself says you might want to as a law school applicant. I know some schools require it but the ones I'm applying to don't say so on their financial aid pages.

I would have no problem getting the info from my parents. They make a comfortable middle-class income. They could likely contribute to my school costs if I asked, but just a portion. So although I'm not as much in need as many people I will still need to fund through loans/aid/scholarships.

Any sense on how to proceed? Should I just put parental info in if any of my schools explicitly require it? Or should I just do it regardless?

Return to “Financial Aid”