How much aid will I receive from HYS? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
CourtroomBrown

New

How much aid will I receive from HYS?

Post by CourtroomBrown » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:27 pm

My parents household income is about 110k USD. I have about 15k USD saved up. I'm Canadian. How much financial aid would schools like HYS provide?

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: How much aid will I receive from HYS?

Post by crazywafflez » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:22 pm

CourtroomBrown wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:27 pm
My parents household income is about 110k USD. I have about 15k USD saved up. I'm Canadian. How much financial aid would schools like HYS provide?
I think their systems depend on your age? If you are over 26 you might get something (albeit, I'm not sure). I do believe 115k is too much for your to benefit from financial aid (unless y'all have like a 7 person household); regardless, if accepted, it wouldn't hurt messaging them and inquiring about it. If you are competitive for these schools make sure to apply across the t13 and see what offers you get. Personally, I'd rather go to UVA free than pay sticker at H.

CourtroomBrown

New

Post by CourtroomBrown » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:45 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:22 pm
CourtroomBrown wrote:
I think their systems depend on your age? If you are over 26 you might get something (albeit, I'm not sure). I do believe 115k is too much for your to benefit from financial aid (unless y'all have like a 7 person household); regardless, if accepted, it wouldn't hurt messaging them and inquiring about it. If you are competitive for these schools make sure to apply across the t13 and see what offers you get. Personally, I'd rather go to UVA free than pay sticker at H.
Under 26 but I live in a 6 person household. 2 of my siblings are already in college, and the third is heading there soon, does this make a difference?

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:42 pm

I really have no idea- I lean towards telling you chances are slim you'll get any- I'd email or call the law admissions team and see if they can connect you with the right folks.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:19 am

According to its website, 3/4 of Yale students get some form of financial aid, which suggests it's pretty broad. You're under 26, with parents who are very much *middle* middle class, w/ several kids in college? And you have basically no personal savings?

I couldn't give you a dollar amount but I doubt you're gonna be paying sticker.

You also have an insanely strong application so worst case you're going to CCN basically for free.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CourtroomBrown

New

Post by CourtroomBrown » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:03 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:42 pm
I really have no idea- I lean towards telling you chances are slim you'll get any- I'd email or call the law admissions team and see if they can connect you with the right folks.
Ohh okay Interesting. I don't really want to bug the admissions team cuz I feel like they'll just tell me to wait until its time to get it calculated. Just wanted to see if I could get a ballpark estimate from the forum, thank you.

CourtroomBrown

New

Post by CourtroomBrown » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:05 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:19 am
According to its website, 3/4 of Yale students get some form of financial aid, which suggests it's pretty broad. You're under 26, with parents who are very much *middle* middle class, w/ several kids in college? And you have basically no personal savings?

I couldn't give you a dollar amount but I doubt you're gonna be paying sticker.

You also have an insanely strong application so worst case you're going to CCN basically for free.
Ahh interesting, I hope not. I feel like tough decisions lie ahead for me so I hope I'll get some financial aid to make it a little bit of an easier one. Thank you for your response!

ksm6969

Bronze

Post by ksm6969 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:40 pm

CourtroomBrown wrote:
This isnt enough info, and each of the HYS schools do it differently. H for example looks at equity in real estate (up to a max of something like 1.2x family income), Y doesnt IIRC (at least not in primary residence). So if your parents own your house and have equity in it, you probably wont get much from H, but your Y package may be better. H uses the CSS formula for parental resources, you should be able to find calculators for it or possibly fill out some forms to estimate the expected family resources: https://cssprofile.collegeboard.org/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”