Cheapest Option for Would-Be Public Interest Lawyer Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Undecided06

New

Cheapest Option for Would-Be Public Interest Lawyer

Post by Undecided06 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:43 pm

Hi all,

I graduated from Vanderbilt with a 3.72GPA. I am taking the LSAT in 2 weeks and I am projected to get a 164 (maybe a 166). I currently work at Legal Aid and can get excellent recommendations from my boss and the executive director. I want to be radical movement lawyer and I expect to make very little money being so. As such, I want to go to the cheapest school possible. I don't really care much for prestige or geographical area. I have a soft preference to stay in the South.

Given my stats, could y'all suggest some schools where I could go and get in as little debt as possible?

ALCA1920

New

Re: Cheapest Option for Would-Be Public Interest Lawyer

Post by ALCA1920 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:56 am

You have a good GPA, but without an LSAT score, it's hard to say which schools would give you a good scholarship. If you get at least a 165, you have good options in southern states: Alabama, Tulane, UGA, Florida, and Texas (Houston or Texas Tech). For the southwest, you could try UofA or UNM. Also look at your in-state public schools, since they give tuition discounts to residents. A 164 would be fine for many of these schools, but a 165+ would give you even better discounts.

Best of luck!

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:16 pm

What part of the country do you want to practice in? Also, what kind of movement/social issue did you want to get involved with? Criminal justice reform, immigration reform, etc?

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:59 pm

Agreed with the above that your best bet at a good economic deal would be a public school in the South, ideally in whatever state would give you in-state tuition. University of Alabama is pretty generous with scholarships. UGA and the main Florida schools are as well, to a lesser extent. Tennessee could be your cheapest option if you're from there or reside there now. You should apply broadly to many schools, and as early in the cycle as possible, to maximize your chances of having good economic options.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:40 pm

Are you instate at TN? With that score you'd be able to go for free to UTk. Which would be a great outcome for what you are trying to do. I think others have pointed to good unis for the region that would help with your goals that you'd get a good scholly to- Bama, Tulane, UGA, UNC, Wake, UTk, etc., are all good options. You can get into Emory as well, just not sure if your scholarship would be good enough to justify it.
I think vandy is off the table unless you get at least a 166. All of the above schools will help you go into public interest- I think even Ole Miss is totally fine or U of A if you are cool with staying in Miss or Ark.
Pick the state you want to practice in though and go to the cheapest option you can get for there.
Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Undecided06

New

Post by Undecided06 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:10 am

Hey all, thank you all so much for all of your replies. Good news! I ended up getting a 168 and am looking at mostly T-14 schools plus Emory, Vanderbilt, University of Miami (I have family there) and maybe UT Knoxville. Any pointers or recommendations?

logan3000

New

Post by logan3000 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:47 pm

Congrats on the score!
Having lived in Miami for a while, I’d definitely advise against UM unless you’re dead set on living and working in Miami for the rest of your life. It’s relatively well-regraded here but has little to no pull anywhere else.
Even with your better score, I’d still recommend taking a full ride at whichever good public schools offer you one considering your post-grad plans. Would say Vandy if you think you want to keep the BigLaw door open, but otherwise prob not worth it unless they come through with $$.
Also would give Duke & UVA a shot cus why not, but if you’re firmly committed to PI they probably aren’t worth it since it’s unlikely you’ll get decent money if you do get in.

EDIT: Just ran your numbers in mylsn and your T14 chances are truly not great, so I double down on my recs above.

Undecided06

New

Post by Undecided06 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:05 pm

Thanks a lot, Logan!

I've shifted gears a little bit. I've decided I want to be a labor and employment lawyer. My understanding is that I could make a little bit more money so I could take on a little bit more debt. I'll certainly take your advice to heart. Thanks so much!

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Apply to every school in lower T14-T20 and some regional T1s in the Southeast (UNC, Wake, UGA, Tulane, Emory, Bama)- UTk would still be great for you if you are happy with TN. Where in the South do you wanna be? My advice would change if you wanna be in NOLA or Mobile compared to Jacksonville. If you wanna be in Miami, don't go to UTk, go to Emory or UF or Vandy if you get in. You'll have to make the balance yourself. I think you'll probs have a package like the following:
Sticker to 20k scholly at Vandy; 25-40k at Emory; 35-full ride at Wake; fullride to UTk & Miami. You may not get these exact outcomes, but you'll be making a balancing act here that only you can answer.
I was in a similar situation a few years ago and I chose the school akin to Wake for my goals. I wasn't terribly interested in biglaw but wanted some mobility in the south. If you are biglaw or bust though I would take Vandy in a heartbeat.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:22 pm

Additionally, if you want to be in TN, I'd still take UTk over higher ranked Bama- especially if costs aren't equal. And this applies to quite a few states/scenarios.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”