Understanding Columbia Combined LRAP Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
pianolesspianist

New

Understanding Columbia Combined LRAP

Post by pianolesspianist » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:41 am

Hi everyone!

I've gone through Columbia's LRAP policy (https://www.law.columbia.edu/sites/defa ... eb2019.pdf), and while I (think I) understand the difference between the 'traditional' track and the IBR track, I'm not sure I understand the "combined" option. Specifically:

If I make 100k a year and I'd have 20k in annual loan payments:
With Columbia's traditional 55k-cap option, I'd have to pay $15,525 (34.5% of 45k) out-of-pocket while Columbia covers the remaining $4,475.

If I go on IBR, I'd theoretically have to pay 8k (150% of poverty threshold = 20k; discretionary income = 80k; IBR = 10% of discretionary income), but Columbia will cover this fully so I pay nothing out-of-pocket, though my loans end up with negative amortization if I back out of PSLF.

Is my understanding correct so far? What happens if I choose the combined option?

Also, is the 100k in Adjusted Gross Income and not actual salary? Or is it my actual salary?

If anyone understands this better than I do or has actual experience with LRAP payments (any LRAP, not just Columbia), please share your insight

Thanks!!

Return to “Financial Aid”