Negotiating with GI Bill? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ShameWizard

New

Negotiating with GI Bill?

Post by ShameWizard » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:28 pm

Just curious if anyone has successfully negotiated additional money by using their GI Bill as leverage? Especially in cases where a full ride is offered? I'd love to be able to negotiate on-campus housing or additional living stipends, but I'd honestly take as little as a free parking pass.

kengh

Bronze

Re: Negotiating with GI Bill?

Post by kengh » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:15 pm

ShameWizard wrote:Just curious if anyone has successfully negotiated additional money by using their GI Bill as leverage? Especially in cases where a full ride is offered? I'd love to be able to negotiate on-campus housing or additional living stipends, but I'd honestly take as little as a free parking pass.
Ive never heard of it. My school gave me my scholarship to use for expenses, but it depends how the scholarship is written. You get BAH. You should try for voc rehab, it covers everything, including parking.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Re: Negotiating with GI Bill?

Post by AdieuCali » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:49 pm

ShameWizard wrote:Just curious if anyone has successfully negotiated additional money by using their GI Bill as leverage? Especially in cases where a full ride is offered? I'd love to be able to negotiate on-campus housing or additional living stipends, but I'd honestly take as little as a free parking pass.
Yes, I have heard of some vets having success doing this at a few public schools. If you have already been awarded a merit scholarship, you can ask that you receive a stipend in lieu of a scholarship money since the VA must pay full tuition (assuming this is a public school). It's unlikely you'll get a 1:1 ratio, but even turning a $25k/yr scholarship into a $5k/year stipend effectively nets you $5k. Based on talking with some other veterans, this is a pretty unlikely outcome. But I don't think there's any harm in asking.

I don't think this would work at a private school, because the school already has to fork over scholarship money to make YRP work. But again, no harm in asking.

Additionally, some schools have external scholarships that can be refunded to you. Basically, after the VA has paid your tuition and fees, the external scholarship is paid to the school and is refunded to your account as an overpayment. Admissions offices may have some influence on how these external scholarships are awarded.

Return to “Financial Aid”