without scholarships Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
sayamk

New

without scholarships

Post by sayamk » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:18 am

Hi everyone. In case someone gets into law school with a sticker price, no scholarships, will financial aid give out some free money? I'm 32, single, have no income at the moment. Basically I'll be an independent student being age above 26. When I went to UC for undergrad, they gave me full-coverage for tuition because of gold and blue opportunity plans. Anyone with info?

antelope

New

Re: without scholarships

Post by antelope » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:26 am

If you fill out fafsa you can get loans and try Gradplus loans to cover the rest. Sticker means they won't provide merit or need based aid (some schools offer a combination of both, some just offer one or the other).
There are some external scholarships available, but not as many as when people apply in undergrad.
Attending at sticker it's not advisable, very few schools would probably be worth that. The only exception I can think's low in state tuition combined with affordable living expenses

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:44 pm

Law schools don't do grants the way that undergrad does grants. The only schools that really do need-based aid are Harvard, Yale, and Stanford (and they don't offer merit aid). You'll be able to get loans to cover the full cost of your attendance (presuming you don't have an abysmal credit score), but that's how you pay if you don't get scholarships from the school. That's why people here are so focused on grades/LSAT - it's not just about getting into a school but getting scholarship money.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:15 pm

nixy wrote:Law schools don't do grants the way that undergrad does grants. The only schools that really do need-based aid are Harvard, Yale, and Stanford (and they don't offer merit aid). You'll be able to get loans to cover the full cost of your attendance (presuming you don't have an abysmal credit score), but that's how you pay if you don't get scholarships from the school. That's why people here are so focused on grades/LSAT - it's not just about getting into a school but getting scholarship money.
And even YSH don't give out full-tuition need-based grants - even at "max aid", there is still a certain amount of loans that must be taken out.

Also, the few law schools that give need-based grants (basically YSH, and to a very limited extent, some of the other T13s) consider parental income and assets up through age 29, IIRC. They may weigh it less if you're over 26 - I don't recall - but parental income and assets are still considered until you hit 30 (regardless of whether the parents will actually contribute anything).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”