Negotiation Power using Lower Ranked Schools Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
bciara96

New

Negotiation Power using Lower Ranked Schools

Post by bciara96 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:24 am

Hello there! I'm trying to figure out if I have any amount of negotiation power given scholarship offers to schools in different tiers.

I haven't fully decided, but I'm really looking to go to University of Virginia. They're offering me $18k/year (assuming this is per year, in SIS it says $9k for fall and spring and I would assume that renews each year; PLEASE let me know if that's a bad assumption). UVA is very expensive so I'm hoping to get more scholarship money if possible.

I've been offered $35k/year from Vanderbilt, $50k/year from George Washington University, and a full ride to Wake Forest (though I doubt that has any pull).

Do I have any negotiation power here? What should my path forward be on this?

Thanks!

dabigchina

Gold

Re: Negotiation Power using Lower Ranked Schools

Post by dabigchina » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:57 am

this was a few years ago, but i found that competing offers within the T14 had a decent amount of sway. as soon as the offers came outside of the T14, their value drop down to almost nothing.

For example - I had 40k/year from UCLA, with offers from the T14 ranging from 20k/year to 0. None of them were willing to negotiate against the UCLA COA.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:02 pm

dabigchina wrote:this was a few years ago, but i found that competing offers within the T14 had a decent amount of sway. as soon as the offers came outside of the T14, their value drop down to almost nothing
I agree with this.

If you have a Cornell or Georgetown offer, you might be able to use Vanderbilt to move the needle with one of them, which could then help with UVA negotiations. But I don't think UVA will budge based solely on your current offers.

bciara96

New

Post by bciara96 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:50 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:this was a few years ago, but i found that competing offers within the T14 had a decent amount of sway. as soon as the offers came outside of the T14, their value drop down to almost nothing
I agree with this.

If you have a Cornell or Georgetown offer, you might be able to use Vanderbilt to move the needle with one of them, which could then help with UVA negotiations. But I don't think UVA will budge based solely on your current offers.
That's what I was afraid of. Should I still make an attempt or no?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:16 pm

bciara96 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
I agree with this.

That's what I was afraid of. Should I still make an attempt or no?
It's always worth trying, but have realistic expectations about what you will get.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bciara96

New

Post by bciara96 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:19 pm

dabigchina wrote:It's always worth trying, but have realistic expectations about what you will get.
How should I go about approaching admissions/financial aid?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:21 pm

bciara96 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:It's always worth trying, but have realistic expectations about what you will get.
How should I go about approaching admissions/financial aid?
Hi UVA,

While I am excited about starting at UVA, the COA concerns me. I have [offers 1, 2 and 3] from [schools 1, 2, and 3. Given the difference in cost, would it be possible to reconsider my financial aid offer?

something along those lines.

bciara96

New

Post by bciara96 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:38 pm

dabigchina wrote:Hi UVA,

While I am excited about starting at UVA, the COA concerns me. I have [offers 1, 2 and 3] from [schools 1, 2, and 3. Given the difference in cost, would it be possible to reconsider my financial aid offer?

Okay awesome! Nice and simple. Do you think it hurts me to include any of the three I mentioned? (Like should I not mention Wake Forest or something like that?)

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:53 pm

They're likely to disregard the Wake offer, but you may as well include it. I don't know that it would hurt your chances to do so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:54 pm

bciara96 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:Hi UVA,

Okay awesome! Nice and simple. Do you think it hurts me to include any of the three I mentioned? (Like should I not mention Wake Forest or something like that?)
I don't think it will move the needle substantially either way, but I'd exclude. It's not relevant and you want to keep it short and sweet. They're probably fielding hundreds random emails a week.

bciara96

New

Post by bciara96 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:57 pm

dabigchina wrote:
bciara96 wrote: Okay awesome! Nice and simple. Do you think it hurts me to include any of the three I mentioned? (Like should I not mention Wake Forest or something like that?)
I don't think it will move the needle substantially either way, but I'd exclude. It's not relevant and you want to keep it short and sweet. They're probably fielding hundreds random emails a week.
Thank you so much for your input. Do I email admissions or the financial aid office?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:13 pm

bciara96 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
bciara96 wrote: Okay awesome! Nice and simple. Do you think it hurts me to include any of the three I mentioned? (Like should I not mention Wake Forest or something like that?)
Thank you so much for your input. Do I email admissions or the financial aid office?
Send it to admissions and CC fin aid. Whoever needs to handle it will handle it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”