Recession? And financial aid Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Critterlaw34

New

Recession? And financial aid

Post by Critterlaw34 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:52 am

Hey folks,

so more and more economists are saying we‘re headed for a recession, possibly nearing that of 2008.

I had recently settled on (but not yet committed to) a higher COA at a T6 school, as opposed to very low COA at a T25 school:

NYU COA- <150,000
WashU COA <30,000

Is that still the right decision, given that jobs may be more scare coming out of law school? Looking at the last recession, NYU seems to have more reliable employment outcomes than WashU, but the thought of taking on so much debt in a recession does worry me somewhat.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Re: Recession? And financial aid

Post by KunAgnis » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:11 am

Critterlaw34 wrote:Hey folks,

so more and more economists are saying we‘re headed for a recession, possibly nearing that of 2008.

I had recently settled on (but not yet committed to) a higher COA at a T6 school, as opposed to very low COA at a T25 school:

NYU COA- <150,000
WashU COA <30,000

Is that still the right decision, given that jobs may be more scare coming out of law school? Looking at the last recession, NYU seems to have more reliable employment outcomes than WashU, but the thought of taking on so much debt in a recession does worry me somewhat.
WashU doesn't have a strong native market like NYU and so tends to underperform in worse market conditions. And NYU, well, is NYU. You can't service loans/make a living without a job at the end of the day.

Others might tell you to retake but in a vacuum with these two options only I would take NYU.

QContinuum

Re: Recession? And financial aid

Post by QContinuum » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:43 am

What are your other options? A "lower" T13 (e.g., Michigan or Cornell) on the cheap may well be the best answer here. If you're getting half-tuition at NYU, you should have pretty significant merit aid at the "lower" T13. And, if for whatever reason you didn't apply to the "lower" T13 this cycle, I'd strongly encourage you to reapply next cycle.

Return to “Financial Aid”