Negotiation Leverage Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
PettPett5

New

Negotiation Leverage

Post by PettPett5 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:23 pm

I have been accepted into a couple T20 schools with scholarship offers of about 2/3 tuition. I want to negotiate with them to see if I can get a full-ride. I have also been accepted to a T50 school with full tuition and would like to negotiate a stipend.

I have been accepted to three T14 schools, but am still waiting to get scholarship offers from them, which they said might not be until early or mid-April. Should I wait to receive their offers before negotiating with the other schools? Or is a T14 acceptance enough leverage to negotiate more money from the T20 and T50 schools?

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: Negotiation Leverage

Post by decimalsanddollars » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:37 pm

It will be hard to negotiate up to a full-tuition scholarship from a T20 like (e.g.) Vanderbilt with a bare acceptance to, say, Duke and Cornell and Georgetown. May be slightly different if your acceptances are T6. Do your T20 scholarship offers expire soon? Can you ask for more time or ask the T14s to hurry up? I also have no experience or even secondhand knowledge with negotiating for a stipend from a full ride.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Re: Negotiation Leverage

Post by Anon-non-anon » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:37 pm

FWIW, I leveraged a full ride at Case Western into 10k a year at a T25 after getting in off the wait list. Not saying 10k a year is worth it at a T25, just a data point. Luckily things worked out okay for me and I'll be debt free very soon!

Return to “Financial Aid”