Merit From Waitlist Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
pianolesspianist

New

Merit From Waitlist

Post by pianolesspianist » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:39 am

Hey all

So I got waitlisted at UofChicago and Northwestern. I'm genuinely interested in both schools, but I'm not going anywhere without significant scholarship funding.

Is it still worth sending an LOCI? Do I have a chance at merit-based aid even off the waitlist? If so, how much? (stats are 173 LSAT, good softs, non-URM, irrelevant 3.7 GPA from overseas)

Thanks!

antelope

New

Re: Merit From Waitlist

Post by antelope » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:02 pm

It's possible to get scholarships off the waitlist, but it probably depends on timing too. I've heard of people getting in >1 month before classes that didn't get aid. But for those two you can see on lawschoolnumbers some people were waitlisted -->accepted with scholarship

Best of luck in the process!

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:22 pm

I got a half-tuition scholarship off the UofC waitlist with similar-ish stats, based primarily on being pretty upfront with them that (a) I had the same award from CLS, but (b) would accept that day if Chicago matched it. This was an eon ago in law school terms -- 2013? -- but there is hope.

pianolesspianist

New

Post by pianolesspianist » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:04 am

Thanks for both of the responses!

Half tuition from waitlist sounds really really good. I wrote UofC an LOCI, but I couldn't bring myself to say that I definitely will attend if accepted - my decision is mainly based on how much debt I'll be graduating with (i.e, how much scholarship $$$ they'll offer), along with school LRAP particulars.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:43 am

Money off the waitlist is definitely possible. I received 1/2 and 2/3 scholarships from 2 different t13s coming off the waitlist after negotiating using prior t13 offers. Also received a small scholarship (read, basically nothing) from one of CCN off the waitlist.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”