Aid Negotiations (Esp GULC) Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
pianolesspianist

New

Aid Negotiations (Esp GULC)

Post by pianolesspianist » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:34 am

Hi all!

Currently, I have the following offers:

1. George Washington - 105k
2. GULC - 75k
3. Cornell - 60k

LSAT is 173, non-traditional, good softs, and GPA (3.7) is apparently irrelevant since I got my BA overseas.

While grateful, I'm not terribly thrilled with my options so far, and would really appreciate any advice for negotiations this year. Ideally, I'd want GULC to double their scholarship, or GW to offer close to full tuition. I was waitlisted at Northwestern and UofChicago, and still waiting to hear from other schools (NYU, Columbia). I also just applied to ASU, Vanderbilt, and WUSTL - do I still have a shot at scholarships from those schools or is it too late in the cycle?

Given my stats, how much do you think I can get at GULC (probably my top choice), and at what point should I start negotiating with them? Any advice/insights would be super appreciated.

Thanks!

antelope

New

Re: Aid Negotiations (Esp GULC)

Post by antelope » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:14 pm

What are your career goals and where do you want to be? You can probably use GULC and Cornell to negotiate more money from GWU if you already have offers. You could try getting more money from GULC with the Cornell offer, maybe use GWU too since it's in the same region.

pianolesspianist

New

Post by pianolesspianist » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:14 pm

Update:
I emailed GULC and asked for more money without disclosing my other offers (I just mentioned I received other offers, but not how much).

They upped to 90k.

I'm thinking of taking their 90k offer to GW and Cornell and then taking those subsequent offers back to Georgetown (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think 60k from Cornell will convince GULC to go higher than 90k)

Also waiting on NYU and Columbia.

Any advice is appreciated

pianolesspianist

New

Post by pianolesspianist » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:17 pm

antelope wrote:What are your career goals and where do you want to be? You can probably use GULC and Cornell to negotiate more money from GWU if you already have offers. You could try getting more money from GULC with the Cornell offer, maybe use GWU too since it's in the same region.
I don't have specific career goals right now, but I'm leaning heavily towards PI.

I also don't care where I work as of now, as long as it's an urban area (would also love working overseas).

Basically, I want to keep my options as open as possible while minimizing debt as much as possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”