FULL RIDE!! Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
emoryorgsu

New

FULL RIDE!!

Post by emoryorgsu » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:10 pm

Hello everyone! I'm currently a junior attending Georgia State interested in attending either Emory Law or GSU School of law. My questions is, what are my chances of getting a full ride to either one of the schools listed above?

My stats:
LSAT: 170
GPA:3.65

(I haven't taken the LSAT yet, I plan to take it in August but I'm projected to make at least 170 based on my progression).

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: FULL RIDE!!

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:21 am

Entirely hypothetical based on the fact that you have not taken the LSAT and are extrapolating your "progression" through an administration of the test 6 months from now. It is foolish for you to assume that any improvement you have made will continue in a linear trend for the next six months, and without an actual LSAT score and more info about what the rest of your app looks like, any response you get (including mine) is just armchair statistics at best.

That said, here's my armchair statistical analysis: you will not get a full ride to Emory with your GPA, even with an excellent LSAT. Your GPA is significantly below Emory's median of 3.8, and they give "full rides" to only 1% of students. To have any semblance of a shot at an Emory full ride, you'd need to have both numbers above the 75%ile for the school, which isn't possible for you. GSU is a slightly better outlook. Georgia State gives scholarships to only 40%ish of their class, and none are above full tuition, but 16% of students do have a full-tuition scholarship. Your GPA is near, but not above, GSU's full-time 75%ile, which means you'd probably need a very competitive LSAT to have a chance at their full-tuition scholarships (and you don't have a chance at more than full tuition). Again, without a real LSAT score in hand, it's hard to say whether you have some chance (with, say, 165+) or no chance (with any LSAT in GSU's interquartile range).

Wubbles

Bronze

Re: FULL RIDE!!

Post by Wubbles » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:44 am

I would work on getting your GPA up a little while you can since you're still a junior. Depending on your career goals, Georgia or Duke might make sense as options for working in Atlanta where you're presumably interested.

Return to “Financial Aid”