Negotiate for a stipend? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Critterlaw34

New

Negotiate for a stipend?

Post by Critterlaw34 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:26 am

Prospective JD 2023, (171, 3.99, decent softs) hoping to take on >20,000 debt for public service career.

Don't really trust PSLF or even most LRAPs after everything that's gone down at Dept. of Ed. recently.

Little to no interest in BigLaw, except MAYBE a 2-3 year stint as a bridge to AUSA/other prestigious gov. job.

1. I've been accepted to a few T14s, no money yet. (Hoping for modest aid over the next two months). WUSTL offered me full ride, but no stipend. I was hoping for a stipend. If I do get some kind of aid at T14, can I use it to negotiate an additional stipend at WUSTL? I know it sounds grubby, but an extra 5-10,000 a year would go a long way to making that 55,000 starting PI salary seem workable.

2. Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Would it make more sense to take the (hopefully) modest aid at NYU, Penn, etc. and then pay remaining tuition + living expenses using loans that I take care of thru BigLaw stint or PSLF?

nixy

Gold

Re: Negotiate for a stipend?

Post by nixy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:31 am

How much debt you want to take on is a pretty personal decision, but when you talk about public service, what kind of jobs do you actually mean? Because for some, school is less important, while for others, it’s more important.

I will note that stipends are really rare, though. There’s no harm in negotiating but I wouldn’t count on getting one.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:08 am

nixy wrote:I will note that stipends are really rare, though. There’s no harm in negotiating but I wouldn’t count on getting one.
This is true, but if I recall correctly, WashU specifically offers a full ride+stipend for dedicated PI students. That said, OP has to be 100% sure they want to go the PI route if they start pursuing that option, because it's contingent on going into PI after school.

Critterlaw34

New

Post by Critterlaw34 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:47 pm

nixy wrote:How much debt you want to take on is a pretty personal decision, but when you talk about public service, what kind of jobs do you actually mean? Because for some, school is less important, while for others, it’s more important.

I will note that stipends are really rare, though. There’s no harm in negotiating but I wouldn’t count on getting one.
I’ve worked in admin at government law jobs before, (federal) so potentially that route. Either that or a private practice public interest firm in employment, housing, civil rights or labor law. More interested in civil than criminal, but I could see myself as a prosecutor under the right circumstances.

Yeah, I know most schools hardly ever give them out, but I know WashU has a few. There is the dedicated public service one someone mentioned, as well as some pure merit ones as well, I think. Both my numbers are > 75, but I’m also not wildly overqualified. You don’t think it would hurt to ask then?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”