Obtaining Student Loans With a Previously Defaulted Loan Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
PDX4343

Silver

Obtaining Student Loans With a Previously Defaulted Loan

Post by PDX4343 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has any experience obtaining law school loans with a previously defaulted loan on their credit history.

Here's my story.

- I defaulted on a private student loan early this year.
- Once I defaulted, I set up a payment plan, and will have the loan paid off by February.
- I believe there will still be some message in my credit history saying that I have previously defaulted, but also settled the default, once I pay it off.
- I'm planning on applying to law school this admissions cycle, so I won't need to take out any loans until about 6 months after I've paid off my defaulted loan.
- My credit is pretty poor as a result of the default, and I'm not sure that I'll be able to get it back to a good enough level before applying for loans.
- I also won't have a cosigner.

Have any of you gone through a similar situation? If so, do you have any advice for me?

I'm not sure if it matters, but I'll be targeting the lower T-14. Maybe some of those schools have some sort of institutional loans for people in my situation?

Thanks for any help, I'm not really sure how this process works.

cavalier1138

Re: Obtaining Student Loans With a Previously Defaulted Loan

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:53 pm

When it comes to loans, the school has no real say in the matter. You fill out a FAFSA, and the government tells you how much you're eligible for. The only thing your school does is tell them how much they can loan you.

I think that bad credit can (maybe?) have an impact on your ability to take out Stafford loans, but I'm relatively certain that GradPLUS loans are given to anyone and everyone who want them.

PDX4343

Silver

Re: Obtaining Student Loans With a Previously Defaulted Loan

Post by PDX4343 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:19 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:When it comes to loans, the school has no real say in the matter. You fill out a FAFSA, and the government tells you how much you're eligible for. The only thing your school does is tell them how much they can loan you.

I think that bad credit can (maybe?) have an impact on your ability to take out Stafford loans, but I'm relatively certain that GradPLUS loans are given to anyone and everyone who want them.
Thanks, appreciate the help.

Return to “Financial Aid”