BU $25K vs. Temple full ride Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
marisacb1012

New

BU $25K vs. Temple full ride

Post by marisacb1012 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:54 pm

Is it a bad idea to attend BU Law on a $25,000 per year scholarship? I want to get into public interest and definitely plan to pursue loan forgiveness (either from BU or the fed govt). I recognize that even this decent scholarship will leave me with 100,000+ in debt, and that worries me. Also looking at a full ride to Temple, but I wouldn't want to stay to practice in Philly, and I know Temple doesn't have as far of a geographical reach as BU. PSLF seems like a great way to make these loans more manageable. I'm just wondering if I'm crazy/naive for thinking the debt will be worth it to go to a T20 school...

fliptrip

Gold

Re: BU $25K vs. Temple full ride

Post by fliptrip » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:59 pm

First, don't go to Temple if you don't want to be in Philly. It is a city school and that city is Philly.

Where exactly do you want to practice? You should not think of BU as a school that has "geographical reach". I would not go to BU to try and work anywhere other than Boston.

Your $25k/year at BU is going to translate into $200k of debt. BU doesn't forgive your loans, they might have a LRAP program, that will be worth investigating in great detail to determine the income levels and types of employment that qualify and just how much support they are giving you. Also, to do PSLF, you have to stay committed continuously for 10 years, which isn't the easiest thing to do. Right now, I think BU is too expensive, but if it could be cheaper it might make sense.

marisacb1012

New

Re: BU $25K vs. Temple full ride

Post by marisacb1012 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:17 pm

fliptrip wrote:First, don't go to Temple if you don't want to be in Philly. It is a city school and that city is Philly.

Where exactly do you want to practice? You should not think of BU as a school that has "geographical reach". I would not go to BU to try and work anywhere other than Boston.

Your $25k/year at BU is going to translate into $200k of debt. BU doesn't forgive your loans, they might have a LRAP program, that will be worth investigating in great detail to determine the income levels and types of employment that qualify and just how much support they are giving you. Also, to do PSLF, you have to stay committed continuously for 10 years, which isn't the easiest thing to do. Right now, I think BU is too expensive, but if it could be cheaper it might make sense.
I'm not entirely set on a practice city, but Boston would be great. I'm not likely to leave the northeast. They have LRAP, which I'm going to discuss with a financial aid officer this week on a phone call appointment. PSLF seems really helpful, but the thought of taking on that debt in the first place is scary. I'm going to try to get BU's scholarship up a bit, because I really could see myself there and would love to attend.

Return to “Financial Aid”