Negotiation Question Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
nisalurve

New

Negotiation Question

Post by nisalurve » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:12 pm

Hello,
I received 81000k initially from School A. After retaking the LSAT in February, I negotiated 102k from School A. School A is ranked somewhere in the 80s and would cost 120k for all three years to attend.
I received 120,000k from School B. It's ranked higher, and would cost around the same to attend. However, call me crazy, but I'm after School A more, since it's in a location I want to live in with a better job market in the area. If I negotiated with School A, how should I go about it? Will they think I'm being rude for asking for more after they've already raised my scholarship? Is it possible that they will rescind everything?

BasilHallward

Silver

Re: Negotiation Question

Post by BasilHallward » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:29 pm

Much more information is needed for any meaningful advice

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:39 pm

BasilHallward wrote:Much more information is needed for any meaningful advice
+1000...you have to be specific to get anything close to useful assistance. Drop the school A and school B jazz.

rdreiley1

New

Post by rdreiley1 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:08 pm

Agreed with above. You need to supply GPA/LSAT ranges and the schools in question for anything to be meaningful.

Talking numbers without the numbers is no bueno

nisalurve

New

Post by nisalurve » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:52 pm

Gotcha. Okay, so SLU is the school I want to go to, because I want to stay in the St. Louis area. UIUC offered 120k and that's roughly the cost of tuition at both UIUC and SLU. I guess would it be crazy to try to negotiate with SLU based on UIUC's offer?

I have a 163 LSAT and a 3.72 GPA

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Post by CottonHarvest » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:21 pm

nisalurve wrote: I guess would it be crazy to try to negotiate with SLU based on UIUC's offer?
UIUC is ranked 40th and gave you 120k and SLU ranked 82nd gave you 81k. Unless they see that as too competitive I would think they would raise your offer given that UIUC is a better school and gave you a lot more money.

nisalurve

New

Post by nisalurve » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:32 pm

CottonHarvest wrote:
nisalurve wrote: I guess would it be crazy to try to negotiate with SLU based on UIUC's offer?
UIUC is ranked 40th and gave you 120k and SLU ranked 82nd gave you 81k. Unless they see that as too competitive I would think they would raise your offer given that UIUC is a better school and gave you a lot more money.
No, I got 102K from SLU. See my first post. I also have no desire to practice in Chicago which is UIUC's main market.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:18 pm

nisalurve wrote:Hello,
120,000k from School B.
you must have scored a 190 on your LSAT if schools are offering you over a hundred million dollars to attend :lol:

Are you out of retakes? If not, retake. If so I would say you should be able to squeeze a full ride out of SLU with UIUC's offer. Definitely don't go to UIUC if you don't want to practice in Chitown. I

nisalurve

New

Post by nisalurve » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:40 pm

Nagster5 wrote:
120,000k from School B.
you must have scored a 190 on your LSAT if schools are offering you over a hundred million dollars to attend :lol:

Are you out of retakes? If not, retake. If so I would say you should be able to squeeze a full ride out of SLU with UIUC's offer. Definitely don't go to UIUC if you don't want to practice in Chitown. I
.....I'm an idiot. Haha sorry, definitely meant 120k.

I'm wondering if a retake will be necessary to squeeze or not. I know lower scores and GPAs were admitted with the full ride scholarship, which I didn't get since I applied later (because I took the Feb LSAT). I think if I waited another year a retake would open since I've already taken it 3 times. I just don't like the idea of waiting, but I do understand that it is a smart thing to do. :/ So torn.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:04 pm

nisalurve wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:
120,000k from School B.

I'm wondering if a retake will be necessary to squeeze or not. I know lower scores and GPAs were admitted with the full ride scholarship, which I didn't get since I applied later (because I took the Feb LSAT). I think if I waited another year a retake would open since I've already taken it 3 times. I just don't like the idea of waiting, but I do understand that it is a smart thing to do. :/ So torn.
What are you hoping to do after law school?

nisalurve

New

Post by nisalurve » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:41 pm

Nagster5 wrote:
nisalurve wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:
120,000k from School B.

What are you hoping to do after law school?
I'm hoping to get into public interest law. I don't really have any plans for big law, I just want to give back to STL as much as I can (sounds cheesy I know) and in the very distant future, state's attorney. I understand that Mizzou is usually the school for public interest/government in Missouri but their scholarship didn't really cover out of state tuition.

And today I found out I got 156k from Indiana, so it's getting harder and harder for me to know where I'm going. It's shaping out to be a stressful senior year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”