What can a 2L/3L do to offset debt? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
87mm

Bronze

What can a 2L/3L do to offset debt?

Post by 87mm » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:20 am

I am basically planning out my budget and unfortunately, the first year of law school will be the most difficult to deal with financially. I will be receiving some help from family but I do not want much help after 1L.

What can a 2L and 3L do to help offset CoA? Specifically during the year because I am going to shoot for ways to earn money during the summers (planning on SA during 2L in biglaw hopefully).

Do students typically work for firms during 2L to make cash on the side? I will have the patent bar prior to lawschool so maybe I can do patent agent work. Are there opportunities by the school to help offset the tuition?

Auxilio

Silver

Re: What can a 2L/3L do to offset debt?

Post by Auxilio » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:47 pm

Something you can even do during 1L is a few hours LSAT tutoring on the weekends (3x$60 an hour or so). Assuming you did well of course.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:50 pm

You can try to RA (either resident or research assistant) or TA (at my school you get credits for law school classes, but paid for undergrads). I made a little bit of spending money from that mainly 2L. It's a lot easier to figure out 2L (even just Starbucksing, bar tending, etc.). I don't know if I have a hard suggestion not to work 1L, but you shouldn't be working a lot. Doing better in 1L classes is going to make you way better off down the line than the little you'd make.

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:45 am

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely dont plan to work during 1L but afterwards anything offset some of the debt/living is ideal.

What is an LSAT required to make money tutoring it?

I may have to look into being an RA during a couple semesters. Even a TA would be nifty. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”