Proactive Scholarship Increase Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Holodigm

New

Proactive Scholarship Increase

Post by Holodigm » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi all,

First of probably many posts over time, but I encountered a situation that I haven't been able to find mentioned anywhere else. It's boggling my mind a little.

Last month I was accepted into a mid-T2 university with a $120k scholarship, spread evenly. About 2 1/2 weeks later, I get another email out of the blue notifying me my offer was "reconsidered" and increased to $144k ($48k each year, flat 20% increase). Tuition's around $49k a year or so, so for all intents and purposes it's basically a full scholarship. Thing is, I've had zero official communication with them - I haven't even replied to any emails - so I'm a bit confused as to what inspired this. Did I accidentally play hard-to-get? And if so, is this a good strategy to follow with all schools? I don't consider 3.67/170 to be that great, certainly not scores I would expect to garner something like this.

I'm at a bit of a loss, so if anyone has had a similar experience or is familiar with this, I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Return to “Financial Aid”