Taking out a non-interest loan? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Tempo

New

Taking out a non-interest loan?

Post by Tempo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:06 pm

My grandfather recently offered to loan me the extra 150k I need for law school, and he wouldn't charge me interest. Would this be worth doing if I don't know what kind of law I want to practice? If I took out federal loans, then I would have a chance of LRAP. If I do this, then I won't be able to have my loans forgiven or paid off. What do people think?

duck

Silver

Re: Taking out a non-interest loan?

Post by duck » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:17 pm

do it

datenginedatcould

New

Post by datenginedatcould » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:59 pm

Before you do it, negotiate a repayment plan that would work for you no matter if you're in public interest or the private sector. It would be very foolish to let this opportunity slide by.

Holodigm

New

Post by Holodigm » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:33 pm

Tempo wrote:My grandfather recently offered to loan me the extra 150k I need for law school, and he wouldn't charge me interest. Would this be worth doing if I don't know what kind of law I want to practice? If I took out federal loans, then I would have a chance of LRAP. If I do this, then I won't be able to have my loans forgiven or paid off. What do people think?
Propose this to your grandfather - table the 150k offer for three years. Do your time in school, and if you pursue an LRAP eligible career, then decline the loan. If not, take the loan at that point to pay off your federal loans and pay him back instead. There would be some accrued interest over your time in school, but I would say that's worth it as a reasonable balance.

Tempo

New

Post by Tempo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:37 pm

Holodigm wrote:
Tempo wrote:My grandfather recently offered to loan me the extra 150k I need for law school, and he wouldn't charge me interest. Would this be worth doing if I don't know what kind of law I want to practice? If I took out federal loans, then I would have a chance of LRAP. If I do this, then I won't be able to have my loans forgiven or paid off. What do people think?
Propose this to your grandfather - table the 150k offer for three years. Do your time in school, and if you pursue an LRAP eligible career, then decline the loan. If not, take the loan at that point to pay off your federal loans and pay him back instead. There would be some accrued interest over your time in school, but I would say that's worth it as a reasonable balance.
That's a very good idea. I'll talk to him about that, thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:21 pm

Tempo wrote:
Holodigm wrote:
Better option would be to take the loan and stick it in a 2/3 year CD (or have him do that for you b/c taxes). Same flexibility to just pay it back if you go PI and the interest will be negligible with the gains from the CD.

Holodigm

New

Post by Holodigm » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:12 pm

Nagster5 wrote:
Tempo wrote:
Holodigm wrote:
Better option would be to take the loan and stick it in a 2/3 year CD (or have him do that for you b/c taxes). Same flexibility to just pay it back if you go PI and the interest will be negligible with the gains from the CD.
I like this idea, but CD rates are still abysmal; a 1% return (if you're lucky) won't do much stacked against APRs of 5 or 6%. Maybe consult a financial adviser. But nagster's got the right idea.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:17 pm

Is this one of those "wink, wink" things where you won't really have to pay off the loan in the end or will you actually have to pay it off? Like, would you be paying it to his estate or something if he passed away?

Tempo

New

Post by Tempo » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:15 pm

BigZuck wrote:Is this one of those "wink, wink" things where you won't really have to pay off the loan in the end or will you actually have to pay it off? Like, would you be paying it to his estate or something if he passed away?
That's a good question, but I'm treating this as a real loan that I would have to pay off.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:49 pm

Another plus in the maybe-take-it-after-three-years is the (admittedly very slim) chance that you get seriously ill or die or something,

This is not a significant concern, but a small plus that the family gets the federal loans forgiven (not sure about serious illness, I have different loans than US federal ones)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”