Negotiating Sequence Advice Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
dizzylizzy

New

Negotiating Sequence Advice

Post by dizzylizzy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:59 pm

I'm about to start the negotiating process, however my acceptances are a little all over the place. I wasn't thinking about leverage when I applied, and now I'm stuck with some nice scholarships that have minimal pull.
For example:
Northeastern - Full Tuition + Stipend
Villanova - Full Tuition
Temple - Full Tuition
American - Full Tuition
Univ. of Miami - Full Tuition
Wake Forest - Full Tuition
Univ. of Florida - 30k/yr
Boston Univ. - 25k/yr
Fordham - 20k/yr
GW - 16k/yr

GW is definitely my top choice, and I was thinking of first seeing if BU would raise their offer at all and then bringing that to GW as leverage. However, I'm not sure what I should mention to BU as leverage. Any advice?

fliptrip

Gold

Re: Negotiating Sequence Advice

Post by fliptrip » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:41 pm

dizzylizzy wrote:
GW is definitely my top choice, and I was thinking of first seeing if BU would raise their offer at all and then bringing that to GW as leverage. However, I'm not sure what I should mention to BU as leverage. Any advice?
You aren't kidding. These schools suggest you're willing to work in at least 4 areas--Boston, Philly, NYC, and down south somewhere. I think your best shot is to move both Fordham and BU and take those two to GW and see if they move. Don't get your hopes up, though. If they move to $25-$30k/year you'll have done well (their 75th%ile grant amount is just $25k/year).

I'd try the Northeastern scholarship on BU and then use the Vanillanova/Temple scholarships to try and move Fordham. Then, as I said, I'd try to use BU and Fordham to move GW.

The more important question, I'd say, is what do you want to do and where do you want to live? Why is GW where you want to go? Is it just because of its higher ranking?

Return to “Financial Aid”