Scholarships for international students at American (specifically, UC) schools Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Du_Coeur

New

Scholarships for international students at American (specifically, UC) schools

Post by Du_Coeur » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:12 am

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian student who has applied to Berkeley. My stats are slightly above the median for both LSAT and GPA (based on the accepted #s for last year). I'm wondering if Berkeley (and, really, American public schools in general) offer scholarships to international students. If I were to be accepted, would I be likely to receive any sort of funding from the university? Additionally, would rewriting for a higher LSAT score (assuming I wouldn't score any higher than ~170) make any difference? On a side note, my parents make too much for me to qualify for bursaries/financial aid though I am independent of them (and it seems somewhat odd that Berkeley asks people who have at least an undergrad under their belt how much their parents make).

Any information would be much appreciated!

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Re: Scholarships for international students at American (specifically, UC) schools

Post by Phil Brooks » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:20 am

Yes, they offer scholarships to you just like they do to everyone else: based on LSAT and GPA in order to help the with US News & World Report rankings. Any increase in LSAT score equals tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships aka tuition discounts.

I am Canadian at T14.

Du_Coeur

New

Re: Scholarships for international students at American (specifically, UC) schools

Post by Du_Coeur » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:39 am

Thanks so much! That's reassuring. I had heard from some others that it was unlikely for a Canadian student to receive much in the way of financial aid, but they also weren't speaking from personal experience. Do you have any thoughts on whether or not I would receive much/anything from Berkeley (or other T14 schools) with my current stats?

Return to “Financial Aid”